Advice on going out of town

Options
me0231
me0231 Posts: 218 Member
So I'm only on the third day of keto and so far so good. I had a feeling of being a bit off and tired yesterday, but I feel fine today. Lost a couple of pounds of water and I'm loving the fact that I can eat cheese and salami for lunch!

But I just found out that I'm going out of town Mon-Wed for work, and I feel it's really bad timing after just a few days. I'm planning to basically eat eggs and bacon for breakfast and skip potato and fruits, have some type of salad for lunch maybe with chicken and meat and veg for dinner with a glass or two of wine. Are there any veggies I shouldn't eat? I know the leafy greens are ok. Also for the salad is there a dressing that is generally lower carb, like balsamic over ranch or something? Anything else?

I know that I'm far from adapted but I feel good and I don't really want to set myself back even just a week, but maybe I'm overthinking things and I should just start over next week? Would love any input.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Generally vegetables grown below ground are the carby ones. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, onions, etc. Above ground vegetables are favored.

Most likely, restaurant dressings have sugar in them but do the best you can. Choose full fat dressings. Vinegar and olive oil is pretty safe.

Visit dietdoctor.com for some good basics.
  • me0231
    Options
    Thank you so much, that's exactly the info I was looking for.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Alcohol will stall fat loss as your liver deals with it first before anything else. Just a heads up o:) Rest of your plan looks pretty good. BTW balsamic vinegar is usually higher in sugars than other vinegars. At least proper balsamic is, ;)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Alcohol will stall fat loss as your liver deals with it first before anything else. Just a heads up o:) Rest of your plan looks pretty good. BTW balsamic vinegar is usually higher in sugars than other vinegars. At least proper balsamic is, ;)

(If it ain't 'proper Balsamic' - it ain't 'balsamic'. ;):D )
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Fyi true balsamic vinegar is made from the Trebbiano grape and therefore contains natural fructose. It is also very thick. The stuff on North American shelves is generally not true Balsamic. My little rant. I just hate how our manufacturers bastardize amazing food like olive oil and balsamic vinegar and train consumers to think their fake knock offs are the real thing
  • me0231
    Options
    Hah learn something new every day. I guess I've never had proper balsamic then. :o
    Thanks for the infos everyone, we'll see how it goes!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Fyi true balsamic vinegar is made from the Trebbiano grape and therefore contains natural fructose. It is also very thick. The stuff on North American shelves is generally not true Balsamic. My little rant. I just hate how our manufacturers bastardize amazing food like olive oil and balsamic vinegar and train consumers to think their fake knock offs are the real thing

If ever you see thick balsamic vinegar on your supermarket shelf, take a look at the price, too. It should be almost prohibitively expensive.
    If it isn't, or you can afford it - it's one of two things:
    It's either been artificially thickened, by reducing it via boiling, or it's had glucose syrup or an artificial thickener added.

Genuinely thick balsamic will be seasoned, old and matured over a long period of time.
    I have had the good fortune to taste genuinely thick, 200-year-old balsamic vinegar.

Oh.
    My.
    God.

Trust me. It's the nectar of Gods.

And the upper ones, at that.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I only get to buy the 20 yo stuff @AlexandraCarlyle. It's still wonderful and I don't waste it by putting it on anything but fresh strawberries (with a grind of pepper) or just in a tsp when I want a treat. I would never use it in a salad dressing, lol.