Keto and international travel - suggestions needed please

Options
I have to travel to the U.K. for work next week. It's a really short trip, only 2 nights. Any suggestions of snacks I can pack for the flight and while I'm on the go if I can't find something Keto? Any idea of how much I might struggle at restaurants there? I know that staying hydrated will be really important. Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the UK is a very backward country. You'll have to forage for berries and wild greens... And bring a bow and arrow for hunting.... But given that it's an hilly island finding water won't be a problem; plenty of upland streams...

Ok, kidding over:

Most restaurants you go to will be very happy to accommodate any particular dietary requirements. That's what I have found. Most supermarkets sell meat-only snacks, such as sliced ham, sliced beef, sliced chicken, ribs, drumsticks, thigh portions and eggs, pre-boiled, in their snack section. Scotch eggs are very good, being boiled eggs wrapped in a meat outer and deep fried. They do have a breadcrumb crust, but the carb count, for 2 days, will be negligible.

As for snacks during the flight, I would seriously suggest checking with the airline what you'd be allowed to take on board. Not all air companies would be happy with you taking your own food, and it might infringe regulations.

My H and I went to Naples for a 10-day break. We ate carbs every day.

The dietary sacrifice was not all that great, and the minimal amount of weight we put on as a result, came off in 2 days, once back home.

You'll be fine.
  • WCCmommy
    WCCmommy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get that I'm not traveling to a different galaxy. Just interested in how people stay on track. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I actually thought it would be a simple matter, travelling to Italy (I'm Italian) as the Mediterranean Diet is all the rage, and heartily recommended.
    I was really quite taken aback at how much carb food there was. It was a setback, to be sure. But I think you'll be fine in the UK.
    We were happy to get back to some level or normality! :D
  • WCCmommy
    WCCmommy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was in Italy last year, but not eating Keto. That would have been a challenge!!
  • lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    @WCCmommy Anytime I travel I pack snacks. I suggest pre-portioned nuts & seeds, fruit cups, pepperoni sticks (that don't need to be refrigerated), homemade granola - preportioned
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The biggest challenge in the U.K. for me is the french fries. I agree with Alexandra. Restaurants are easy to work with. Marks and Spencer has good stuff. Whole Foods is easy to find in London, if that's where you're going to be.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I pack pink salt, nuts, pepperoni slices, and pumpkin seeds on short flights, if longer like a transatlantic flight, I would add boiled eggs or cook up a batch of egg muffins to carry with me. They can handle being unrefrigerated for that length flight.

Once you are there, check out the excellent steakhouses all over the UK/England. You can just ask for salad, dressing on the side. In the cities you can find kabob places as well.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK, most restaurants should be fine as it's more common now to low carb and you'll find a lot of keto friendly snacks in supermarkets in the form of packaged meat slices, ready to eat chicken and sausages, nuts, olives etc etc.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I pack pink salt, nuts, pepperoni slices, and pumpkin seeds on short flights, if longer like a transatlantic flight, I would add boiled eggs or cook up a batch of egg muffins to carry with me. They can handle being unrefrigerated for that length flight.

Once you are there, check out the excellent steakhouses all over the UK/England. You can just ask for salad, dressing on the side. In the cities you can find kabob places as well.

Be selective about Kebab houses - many of them are... 'suspect'. Check their star rating on Tripadvisor.....
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

Be selective about Kebab houses - many of them are... 'suspect'. Check their star rating on Tripadvisor.....

Actually, yes that's a really good tip! I have a really good kebab place not far from me but would be wary of using one I didn't know. Go for an actual restaurant rather than the tiny little kebab take away places, it's much better food anyway.