Whole 30 - Miss it!!

Options
merrys73
merrys73 Posts: 21 Member
Thinking of going back on whole 30, did it last spring/early summer, and my guts definitely felt a lot better!!! Has anyone in this group tried it? Favorited recipes, prep, etc??

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It's an elimination diet for finding out food intolerances isn't it, it's not really intended to be used as a regular diet, Is there something that made you feel worse when you re-introduced it? Maybe you just need to cut back out whatever was making you feel bad.
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi Merry. I've done 4 Whole30s at this point.

It's not quite an elimination diet because you start out having eliminated all kinds of things and you don't put anything back until you're done with 30 days :smile:

I'd describe it as more of a nutritional, hormonal, and habit reset. The habits were so key for me and my husband.

Here's how we operate when we do one (although we kind of follow this even when we aren't on an official Whole30):
    Sundays: Breakfast and Lunch meal prep for the week (see below)
    Breakfasts: fresh chicken sausages we get at Whole foods and an apple with almond butter is pretty typical. We cook the sausages ahead. Sometimes we would do hard boiled eggs instead of chicken sausages.
    Lunches: Usually big sweet potatoes baked and cut in half, a palm size portion of protein (grass fed flank steak, chicken thighs, wild salmon... we shake it up from week to week), and a bucket of frozen veg with salt, pepper, and clarified butter.

Dinners we liked to be more creative. I am quite partial to my recipe for spaghetti squash shrimp scampi. It is the cat's meow and really filling! If you are interested, I shall pass on the recipe. We would make whole30 chili in our instant pot (also great for lunch too), lamb shanks with root veggies, brats and sauerkraut (bubbies is my favorite).

I always make my own clarified butter/ghee. Two blocks of kerrygold melted and simmered gently til the liquid has boiled off and then strained through a coffee filter in a colander. Then it just stays on the counter top for cooking.

We drank kombucha probably every day (we recently had to cut back to two a week each because our booch budget was wayyy high).

I also like to put 30 stickies on a cabinet or wall that we can peel off as we count down. We put away our scale in a closet. We eat dinner with candles :smiley: We are both popcorn addicts so usually we make sure there is none around to tempt us.

Anyway, good luck to you if you decide to do another one!