My 1st of 4 diabetes class.

Options
amyfrogred
amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
So, last night I went to my first diabetes class. I was surprised at how much information I learned. I've been trying to read about it to educate myself, but nothing is better than listening to people who have had this disease for 6 or 20 years and are great examples of what to do and not do. An example; a gentleman on his 60's diagnosed 7 years ago is now taking his health seriously after he stated having numbness in his foot and it became a reality that he might loose his foot. This first class just touched on how the disease affects our body and how to keep it under control. I'm looking forward to next week's class will be on how foods work to keep the BS down. Anybody else have any experience or thoughts?

Replies

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I loved My Diabetes ed class, I have heard so many people say it was a waste of time but I learned so much! Just like you I liked to hear from those that had been there and all the nurses that taught my class were also diabetic so that was helpful too.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was not given classes because FBG was not high enough yet. Lol. I am glad yours are working for you. :)

If you want some good supplementary reading on food and T2D, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution can be very helpful. Sarah Halberg gas a tedtalk youtube video on similar ideas too.
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo, check with your local hospitals. Lots are holding diabetes class's. They are usually free to attend too.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo, check with your local hospitals. Lots are holding diabetes class's. They are usually free to attend too.

That's something to keep in mind. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I doubt I'll check it out yet. I am not on medication and I seem to have a pretty good control of my dietary influenced BG right now. Mostly.

TBH, I don't quite agree with some of the food recommendations (that I received from my endocrinologist: eat more fruits and veggies and leaner meats). I'm more of a fan of limiting high carb foods and replacing them with fats and protein.

• amyfrogred
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I was not given classes because FBG was not high enough yet. Lol. I am glad yours are working for you. :)

If you want some good supplementary reading on food and T2D, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution can be very helpful. Sarah Halberg gas a tedtalk youtube video on similar ideas too.

I will check those out. Thank you
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    amyfrogred wrote: »

Here is Halberg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Here is Halberg:

Bernstein & Hallberg are great! They tell it like it is - if you have a disease that involves an inability to properly metabolize carbohydrates, your best bet is to find the best way to eat that doesn't require you to eat them. Seems pretty obvious now, but it sure didn't when I first heard it.....

Glad their message made enough of an impression for me to give it a try. 2 years later (diabetic for 15), my weight and BG are finally down into safe range.
  • amyfrogred
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Here is Halberg:

Bernstein & Hallberg are great! They tell it like it is - if you have a disease that involves an inability to properly metabolize carbohydrates, your best bet is to find the best way to eat that doesn't require you to eat them. Seems pretty obvious now, but it sure didn't when I first heard it.....

Glad their message made enough of an impression for me to give it a try. 2 years later (diabetic for 15), my weight and BG are finally down into safe range.

I'm glad I watched this today. I'm going to my 2nd diabetes class tomorrow and it's gong to be about food. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Thanks! :) I'd love to hear more. Good luck.
  • amyfrogred
    Options
    So I went to my 2nd class last night and it was disappointing. I didn't learn anything new. The questions people had she just referred back to the book and was very careful not to tell one of the ladies that brought labels of snacks size potato chips and chezit alongside a box of orhanic mac n cheese would be better off with a better alternative. She just told her to look on the label for the carbohydrates count. If the dietician instructor can't say it then how can you know of you're making the right choice. The lady had mentioned she is on 5 different diabetes meds and eats at night and by morning vomits it all up by morning. I hope I next week will be better.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    So I went to my 2nd class last night and it was disappointing. I didn't learn anything new. The questions people had she just referred back to the book and was very careful not to tell one of the ladies that brought labels of snacks size potato chips and chezit alongside a box of orhanic mac n cheese would be better off with a better alternative. She just told her to look on the label for the carbohydrates count. If the dietician instructor can't say it then how can you know of you're making the right choice. The lady had mentioned she is on 5 different diabetes meds and eats at night and by morning vomits it all up by morning. I hope I next week will be better.

It sounds like that lady needs to learn how to eat according to her glucometer & her post-meal blood sugar readings.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

:scream:
  • nvmomketo
    Options

:( That's a shame. They really should free those dieticians to give better choices. To give a slide show of what a serving size looks like and its carb count. Just telling people to "make better choices" without telling them their options is not going to work except for those types who are willing to do their own research and take full responsibility for their disease. That isn't most. Most won't have the interest, inclination, time or possibly the skills to find that "better choices" information.

Did she help teach the class how to eat to the metre?

I hope the next week is better.
  • amyfrogred
    Options

:( That's a shame. They really should free those dieticians to give better choices. To give a slide show of what a serving size looks like and its carb count. Just telling people to "make better choices" without telling them their options is not going to work except for those types who are willing to do their own research and take full responsibility for their disease. That isn't most. Most won't have the interest, inclination, time or possibly the skills to find that "better choices" information.

She was very vague on how you should use the meter to check before and after a meal. The book we got had info in it.... if you're willing to read then do more research online yourself.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

She was very vague on how you should use the meter to check before and after a meal. The book we got had info in it.... if you're willing to read then do more research online yourself.

Was the book any good? What book is it? Or is it more of an information pamphlet?
  • amyfrogred
    Options

Was the book any good? What book is it? Or is it more of an information pamphlet?

She called it a book, it's a 35 page informational booklet.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

She called it a book, it's a 35 page informational booklet.

Ahhhh, it's probably a good start for those who have little interest in managing health issues. Hopefully.