New to Low Carb

TavistockToad
TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
Hello!

So, the husband has been recommended to follow a low carb diet by a dermatologist to help with his eczema, and being the kind and supportive wife that i am ( :laugh: ) i have offered to join him, for my evening meal at least - because cooking 2 meals seems like too much hard work!

i am struggling to get my head around how i add 300-400 cals worth of fat to our evening meal to cover the cals removed in carbs without literally serving everything with cheese, add in the complication of IBS meaning that i cant go veg crazy and i am struggling with my meal planning!

any ideas, hints and tips would be more than welcome, plus friend requests from any UK low carbers, as you'll have the same shops as me!

thanks in advance!!

Replies

  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    avocado
    nuts
    butter (terribly delicious on beef and pork)
    coconut oil (a favorite on chicken)
    sour cream (makes a great sauce base)
    mayo (also can make a good sauce base - I like it with some wasabi and garlic for eggs)
    bacon (is magical)
    olive oil
    avocado oil

    I'm sure there are more fatty foods that people use frequently...high fat foods are high calorie, so a tablespoon or two goes a long way and can add a nice hint of a specific flavor to items you are cooking.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I ate medically therapeutic keto for a year for reason other than weight management. I never really changed our evening meal overall. For dinner, I just didn't eat the rice potatoes, pasta, etc. He'd have shrimp/chicken alfredo over pasta. I'd have it over spinach or spaghetti squash.

    As the keto eater, I added more fat to my breakfast and lunch via cooking my eggs in butter, adding heavy whipping cream to my coffee, putting more dressing on my salad and adding a bunch of olives. Since the protocol I followed was low in both carbs and protein, mascarpone and cream cheese became my friend. I supplemented with MCT Oil for a while and though I noticed no "therapeutic" benefits, I did find it was one of the easiest oils to add to things without alter in the taste. Avocado oil worked pretty good for that too (for me) since I find it pretty tasteless. It was easy to "bury" oil in things like deviled eggs to get my MTKD required fat ratio.

    Adding 300-400 calories of fat is accomplished more easily if adding it throughout the day versus one meal. My calories were more evenly spread over the day/meals.

    Is the doc recommending low carb or low carb, high fat? I'm guessing high fat since you mentioned adding fat calories. Eating low carb could be low carb high protein or low carb high fat. My current way of eating is ~50 grams of carbs, ~100 grams of fat and ~100 grams of protein.

  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Found this for medical keto recipes - might help give you some ideas:

    https://charliefoundation.org/resources-tools/resources-2/find-recipes
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I ate medically therapeutic keto for a year for reason other than weight management. I never really changed our evening meal overall. For dinner, I just didn't eat the rice potatoes, pasta, etc. He'd have shrimp/chicken alfredo over pasta. I'd have it over spinach or spaghetti squash.

    As the keto eater, I added more fat to my breakfast and lunch via cooking my eggs in butter, adding heavy whipping cream to my coffee, putting more dressing on my salad and adding a bunch of olives. Since the protocol I followed was low in both carbs and protein, mascarpone and cream cheese became my friend. I supplemented with MCT Oil for a while and though I noticed no "therapeutic" benefits, I did find it was one of the easiest oils to add to things without alter in the taste. Avocado oil worked pretty good for that too (for me) since I find it pretty tasteless. It was easy to "bury" oil in things like deviled eggs to get my MTKD required fat ratio.

    Adding 300-400 calories of fat is accomplished more easily if adding it throughout the day versus one meal. My calories were more evenly spread over the day/meals.

    Is the doc recommending low carb or low carb, high fat? I'm guessing high fat since you mentioned adding fat calories. Eating low carb could be low carb high protein or low carb high fat. My current way of eating is ~50 grams of carbs, ~100 grams of fat and ~100 grams of protein.

    The reason I said in one meal is that if I take out the carbs from that meal, I need to replace them with something to get roughly the same number of carbs overall or we go hungry....?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I ate medically therapeutic keto for a year for reason other than weight management. I never really changed our evening meal overall. For dinner, I just didn't eat the rice potatoes, pasta, etc. He'd have shrimp/chicken alfredo over pasta. I'd have it over spinach or spaghetti squash.

    As the keto eater, I added more fat to my breakfast and lunch via cooking my eggs in butter, adding heavy whipping cream to my coffee, putting more dressing on my salad and adding a bunch of olives. Since the protocol I followed was low in both carbs and protein, mascarpone and cream cheese became my friend. I supplemented with MCT Oil for a while and though I noticed no "therapeutic" benefits, I did find it was one of the easiest oils to add to things without alter in the taste. Avocado oil worked pretty good for that too (for me) since I find it pretty tasteless. It was easy to "bury" oil in things like deviled eggs to get my MTKD required fat ratio.

    Adding 300-400 calories of fat is accomplished more easily if adding it throughout the day versus one meal. My calories were more evenly spread over the day/meals.

    Is the doc recommending low carb or low carb, high fat? I'm guessing high fat since you mentioned adding fat calories. Eating low carb could be low carb high protein or low carb high fat. My current way of eating is ~50 grams of carbs, ~100 grams of fat and ~100 grams of protein.

    The reason I said in one meal is that if I take out the carbs from that meal, I need to replace them with something to get roughly the same number of carbs overall or we go hungry....?

    I'm not understand. You want the same number of carbs so you won't get hungry but you are reducing carbs? Or did you mean "the same number of calories" overall?

  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I ate medically therapeutic keto for a year for reason other than weight management. I never really changed our evening meal overall. For dinner, I just didn't eat the rice potatoes, pasta, etc. He'd have shrimp/chicken alfredo over pasta. I'd have it over spinach or spaghetti squash.

    As the keto eater, I added more fat to my breakfast and lunch via cooking my eggs in butter, adding heavy whipping cream to my coffee, putting more dressing on my salad and adding a bunch of olives. Since the protocol I followed was low in both carbs and protein, mascarpone and cream cheese became my friend. I supplemented with MCT Oil for a while and though I noticed no "therapeutic" benefits, I did find it was one of the easiest oils to add to things without alter in the taste. Avocado oil worked pretty good for that too (for me) since I find it pretty tasteless. It was easy to "bury" oil in things like deviled eggs to get my MTKD required fat ratio.

    Adding 300-400 calories of fat is accomplished more easily if adding it throughout the day versus one meal. My calories were more evenly spread over the day/meals.

    Is the doc recommending low carb or low carb, high fat? I'm guessing high fat since you mentioned adding fat calories. Eating low carb could be low carb high protein or low carb high fat. My current way of eating is ~50 grams of carbs, ~100 grams of fat and ~100 grams of protein.

    The reason I said in one meal is that if I take out the carbs from that meal, I need to replace them with something to get roughly the same number of carbs overall or we go hungry....?

    I'm not understand. You want the same number of carbs so you won't get hungry but you are reducing carbs? Or did you mean "the same number of calories" overall?

    Same number of calories, sorry!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    I usually eat fattier cuts of meat like chuck roast, ground chuck or round, ribeyes, chicken wings, and the like. I use full fat dressings. I cook with avocado oil or butter instead of cooking spray. I snack on coffee with heavy cream. All that usually brings my calories up!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    You don't really have to stress over the exact breakdown of protein and fat as long as you're keeping the carbs down.
    Just cook some kind of meat that isn't totally lean. So skip chicken breast and most fish and go with beef of just about any cut and fatty fish, skin on chicken or dark meat chicken or fatty pork. Then make a normal amount of vegetable as a side and cook it in butter or olive oil. You can have cheese it you want but you really don't have to drown things in fat at all. Eat as much of that food as you need until you're satisfied.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Without knowing what y'all eat and like, it is kinda hard to offer specific suggestions. It really is not difficult to "make up calories" with fat. 300-400 calories is only about 38 grams of fat. Close to that amount can be found in a couple ounces of almonds or an "average" (5 oz?) avocado. When I ate snacks, I'd have almonds instead of banana bread or Cheetoes.

    Perhaps something in one of these sites (from our Stickies) will trigger some ideas for your evening meal:

    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348430/recipe-tips-websites-lcd-group-member-recipes?new=1
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Without knowing what y'all eat and like, it is kinda hard to offer specific suggestions. It really is not difficult to "make up calories" with fat. 300-400 calories is only about 38 grams of fat. Close to that amount can be found in a couple ounces of almonds or an "average" (5 oz?) avocado. When I ate snacks, I'd have almonds instead of banana bread or Cheetoes.

    Perhaps something in one of these sites (from our Stickies) will trigger some ideas for your evening meal:

    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348430/recipe-tips-websites-lcd-group-member-recipes?new=1

    Thats a big list! Thanks!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I generally just eat more of what is left. If we are having meat, veggies and a side starch (potato or rice), then I would eat a bit more of the meat and maybe of the veggies, and leave the starch off of my plate. Instead of a 3-4oz piece of meat, it might be 4-6oz instead. KWIM?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I generally just eat more of what is left. If we are having meat, veggies and a side starch (potato or rice), then I would eat a bit more of the meat and maybe of the veggies, and leave the starch off of my plate. Instead of a 3-4oz piece of meat, it might be 4-6oz instead. KWIM?

    We never have meat left... our evening meal portions of meat are usually 200-300g each currently anyway...
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    edited September 2017
    Welcome!

    Since some of the bases of food have been covered I can offer a "dessert" of a sort to help with calories. Without knowing what triggers the eczema..... Try a glass of diet root beer and add in 1-2 TBSP (depending how creamy you like. I used 2 TBSP.) of heavy whipping cream.

    Kid you not you have a lovely tasting root beer float. I used this a lot when I had trouble reaching a calorie goal but didnt want to eat anything because I was full.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I generally just eat more of what is left. If we are having meat, veggies and a side starch (potato or rice), then I would eat a bit more of the meat and maybe of the veggies, and leave the starch off of my plate. Instead of a 3-4oz piece of meat, it might be 4-6oz instead. KWIM?

    We never have meat left... our evening meal portions of meat are usually 200-300g each currently anyway...

    Perhaps preparing larger portions of meat, if that is feasible. Adding butter or cheesy toppings will help raise fat content. Not draining fats helps too.

    For example, we had "tacos" the other night. My taco consisted of a bowl with small tablespoon of refined beans covered in lean ground beef with some bacon drippings added in, some shredded cheese, some pepper and avocado, and sour cream on top.

    The rest of the family used taco shells, more refined beans, and a side of rice. I just had slightly more meat, sour cream and cheese.

    For breakfast I had 2 eggs rather than 1 egg and a slice or two of toast. KWIM? I just make more protein and fat, and leave out the higher carb foods I want to avoid.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Welcome!

    Since some of the bases of food have been covered I can offer a "dessert" of a sort to help with calories. Without knowing what triggers the eczema..... Try a glass of diet root beer and add in 1-2 TBSP (depending how creamy you like. I used 2 TBSP.) of heavy whipping cream.

    Kid you not you have a lovely tasting root beer float. I used this a lot when I had trouble reaching a calorie goal but didnt want to eat anything because I was full.

    Ooooh, I never thought of that! Thank you!
  • trish55011
    trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
    Not sure if you are a coffee drinker, but adding a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of heavy cream will raise the calories in your coffee to I think something like 170ish, maybe a litle more. The fat content will be around 16grams I think. This is a great way to add fat calories, stave off sugar cravings, and I use it if I am hungry while I am waiting for my meal to cook. Add Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) to your salads. I am not sure how you are measuring out your meals so it's a little difficult to offer solid dinner advice. For me, breakfast is my largest meal, then lunch is either the same cal count or within a couple hundred cal's and then dinner is my lowest. Mainly because I work out in the afternoon, and I go to bed really early throughout the week. I don't want to sleep on a large amount of food. Butter, walnuts, EVOO, fatty meats including bacon and breakfast sausage are my go to's for extra fat. hope this helps.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Macadamia nuts pecans walnuts if no allergies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,267 Member
    I have nothing to offer, but wanted to say welcome!