Ta daaaaa

Options
Bonny132
Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
I am back! Well will be on Monday, I am celebrating this weekend. After 18 miserable, emotional and painful days, my doctor took me off gluten. Diagnosed as Celiac due to the severity of my symptoms. I must be the happiest Celiac around. My poor other half has nursed me through this nightmare. He was amazing. Now I just want to get back eating normally again.

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Woo-hoo! *Does a mini 'sitting on my chair' dance*!!

Celiac can take anything up to 20 years to accurately diagnose, so I am absolutely thrilled that you have a definitive diagnosis! Brilliant news!

You are now fully equipped to really begin taking control of every aspect of your dietary life!

Be prepared though: a VG friend of mine has what she terms a 'Jewish-like Kitchen'... a separate area for cooking stuff for herself, and an entirely different area for other members of her family. To the cutlery and utensils, pots and pans extent! That's how bad SHE is - it may well be an avenue for you to have to follow too.... But I am glad you are back on track, and am delighted for your progress!!

((Hugs))!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I will need to do some changes as previously I was "only" gluten intolerant with symptoms that never really went away. I am just so happy I never need to repeat this experience. To eat food that makes you ill twice a day is horrible. I have been living on Imodium and painkillers. The relief when I was told to stop the gluten just opened up the floodgates.

So we decided to take the weekend off and indulge ourselves a bit, then get tracking on Monday. I will need to figure out how to re-arrange the kitchen, another toaster is needed for sure. He does not eat much gluten tbh as I do most of the cooking so should not be too many changes needed.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Wow what a relief!! Make sure you don't eat eat gluten this weekend ;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Glad you're getting all the mess straightened out!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I will need to do some changes as previously I was "only" gluten intolerant with symptoms that never really went away. I am just so happy I never need to repeat this experience. To eat food that makes you ill twice a day is horrible. I have been living on Imodium and painkillers. The relief when I was told to stop the gluten just opened up the floodgates.

So we decided to take the weekend off and indulge ourselves a bit, then get tracking on Monday. I will need to figure out how to re-arrange the kitchen, another toaster is needed for sure. He does not eat much gluten tbh as I do most of the cooking so should not be too many changes needed.

This works well for me: re the toaster - you don't need another one. Just use El Peto toaster pockets. Dammit, I just went on their website and they are closed after 29 years. Glad I still have my toaster pockets to safely toast bread in a contaminated toaster. Here's another brand that shows a grilled toasted cheese sandwich but they work well for plain bread https://amazon.ca/dp/B001UHNMM0/ref=as_at?slotNum=0&linkCode=g12&imprToken=6-Gb9PjR0vT4eInTFinHJA&tag=kitchn_cnd-20

I am sad that you felt you needed to be glutened so badly just to get a confirmation, but understand if it is needed for medical insurance to pay for some of your GF foods. After all the answer to good health is the same whether you've had confirmation or not. NO GLUTEN.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @Bonny132 here's a kitchen hack for the same thing using parchment paper in case you are at a kitchen that is unsafe (ie the office, a vacation condo, etc) thekitchn.com/kitchen-hack-make-a-diy-toaste-127246?li_source=LI&li_medium=in-post__bottom
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry and congratulations! ;)

I felt similarly when I was diagnosed too. It's a bit sads to know you can never have it again but such a relief to know you have a health issue that is completely treatable - without drugs!

If you get a toaster over, it can solve that problem. Then you just need to clean off the rack/tray every time. I've made tin foil or parchment toast pockets too but they take forever to toast.

Skipping gluten containing breads or muffins might be best. If your family uses "glutenous" food, you will need separate butter, peanut butter, cream cheese, mayo, relish, etc. because they are so easily contaminated with crumbs. One crumb every few days is enough to cause an autoimmune reaction and keep you in a constant state of low inflammation... and just not feeling your best.

Good luck! I hope strict GF makes a huge difference for you. I wish you a speedy recovery too. Celiac testing is pretty barbaric... Make someone sick for 2-3 month and hope they are one of the 75% of celiacs who actually have positive blood tests and then let them recover for the next 6+ months or so. Nasty. :(
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am back! Well will be on Monday, I am celebrating this weekend. After 18 miserable, emotional and painful days, my doctor took me off gluten. Diagnosed as Celiac due to the severity of my symptoms. I must be the happiest Celiac around. My poor other half has nursed me through this nightmare. He was amazing. Now I just want to get back eating normally again.

Well now you know for sure. Sounds horrid to have to do all that but now you can go forward armed with the information you need to keep yourself healthier.

Now you have an excuse to eat all the butter, nut butters, cream cheese, mayo etc. in the house, since anyone else getting into those with a gluten infested utensil will make you sick. Your family wouldn't want to do that. >:)