Paleo and Primal Recipes

Options
madwells1
madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
I have decided to be proactive and start posting stuff in this forum as it is too quiet!

Here is a place to post any paleo/primal recipes that anyone wants to share. It may just be me posting, but alas, it keeps me motivated..and perhaps it will keep others motivated as well.

This afternoon I am going to make Paleo Beef Tangine in my instant pot. The recipe will follow along with pictures when I have a bit more time.

Replies

• madwells1
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Beef Tangine Paleo Style

Do all prep work first. I have put ingredients in order of prep to make it easier to follow direction wise.
    Prepare your beef.

In a small bowl, make your spice rub:

2 TBSP ground cinnamon
    2 TBSP paprika
    1 TBSP turmeric
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp. cayenne
    Salt

2 lbs grass fed organic round steak/beef, cut into 2 inch cubes

In a large bowl, cover your beef with the spice mixture. Massage it in. Let it sit while you prep the other ingredients.

Prepare the rest of the ingredients

1 tsp saffron threads, soaked in 2 TBSP cold water
    1 TBSP chopped fresh ginger
    1 large onion, diced
    1 cup grated carrots
    1/2 cup dried apricots (natural/sugar free)
    1/2 cup medjool dates
    1/2 cup golden raisins (Natural/sugar free)
    1/2 cup sliced green olives
    1/2 cup cilantro
    3 TBSP raw garlic
    juice of 1 lemon
    zest from 1 lemon

28 oz diced tomatoes
    2 cups beef broth fat free

In your pressure cooker (I use an electric instant pot, so I am using that as my reference) add

2 TBSP olive oil

Brown your spice rubbed beef (this isn't necessary, but I like to do it). Remove beef from pressure cooker.

Add onion and ginger into pressure cooker and saute for about 3 minutes. Make sure to get all the caramelized spices from the beef scraped nicely into your onions. If you need more liquid, throw in a little broth or tomato juice to help you out.

Dump in all the ingredients (except the beef), and stir to combine. Add the browned beef, give it a nice little stir, and put the lid on.

Set for 20 minutes. Use a natural release method.

While this is cooking, make cauliflower couscous.

1 head of cauliflower

Grate or put the cauliflower into a food processor and process it to resemble consistency of couscous. Remove and put in a microwave bowl with a loose cover. Microwave for 3.5 minutes. There should be no reason to add water because the cauliflower is wet enough.

When your pressure cooker is finished, you can thicken the stew with a slurry of tapioca starch or arrowroot, depending on what you have.

Add 2 TBSP honey and 1/2 cup toasted sliced or grated almonds, stir to combine.

To serve, put tangine in a large bowl and present. People can take a cup or so of your cauliflower couscous in and ladle on some of the beef tangine.

Serves 6+. ~580 calories per serving.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This recipe looks amazing! Keep em coming!
  • madwells1
    Options
    Ginger Butternut Squash Soup

1 medium butternut squash, cubed
    1 inch cube fresh ginger, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic
    2 cups stock/bone broth (I used chicken bone broth but veggie stock would be fine)
    pinch cayenne pepper
    1/8 tsp cumin
    Salt
    Almond milk to consistency of choice (can use any non-dairy or dairy milk here, including coconut full fat from can)

Throw all ingredients EXCEPT milk into Instant Pot (pressure cooker). Set soup time for 15 minutes. When done, quick release.

With immersion blender, blend until smooth, adding milk until you get it to the consistency and thickness you want (personal choice).

Taste to make sure you have enough salt, serve and enjoy.