microwave pork rinds??

Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
edited September 2017 in Social Groups
Disclaimers: I'm not particularly low carb (PLC lol). I'm more plant based (MPBtN) than not. :D:D:D:D
But I love chicharrones (pork rinds). It's a thing from childhood.
Today I microwave chicharrones that *appeared******** to have no transfats.

Has anyone tried them?
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/lowrey's-bacon-curls-microwave-pork-rinds-original-18-bags/ID=prod6156528-product

this would be a once a year thing for me.... but do they taste good?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Nothing seems to indicate they're different from ordinary pork rinds ... I guess the microwave-specific bag helps them steam a bit more than if you just put regular rinds on a plate in the micro? Not sure why they have to add 2 different types of sugar + MSG though ...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited September 2017
    kirkor wrote: »
    Nothing seems to indicate they're different from ordinary pork rinds ... I guess the microwave-specific bag helps them steam a bit more than if you just put regular rinds on a plate in the micro? Not sure why they have to add 2 different types of sugar + MSG though ...

Yeah...MSG... but, lots of the flavored pork rinds have MSG. Not sure about the sugar. Fortunately, it's a less than one gram.
    I may just try them.
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    They are fantastic.

I got some and took then in for my co-workers and I to try and they taste like pork rinds, but they aren't as dry.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    ScrAgnX wrote: »
    They are fantastic.

I got some and took then in for my co-workers and I to try and they taste like pork rinds, but they aren't as dry.

Thanks!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Okay, I got a bag and tried them. I agree with ScrAgnX: they are definitely more moist. And pretty flavorful as such things go. I'd buy them again.
  • BethNel
    BethNel Posts: 7 Member
    They are my favorite pork rinds. I have only been eating pork rinds for a month or so but I have been trying several different kinds. They are hard to find and the sell out really fast.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Ewwww, moist pork rinds would make me up chuck! The whole purpose of pork rinds for me is the super dry puffy crunch. I don't even like the flavour. Personally I'd rather eat plain rice cakes lol. No, seriously! :(
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Ewwww, moist pork rinds would make me up chuck! The whole purpose of pork rinds for me is the super dry puffy crunch. I don't even like the flavour. Personally I'd rather eat plain rice cakes lol. No, seriously! :(

They aren't *moist*, per se. Just less desert like.

And rice cakes? BLECH! :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    ^^^ I really do love plain rice cakes but they must be perfectly fresh so they are very dry & crunchy. :D
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    [quote="canadjineh;c-40507111"The whole purpose of pork rinds for me is the super dry puffy crunch. I don't even like the flavour.[/quote]

This makes sense. I'm not too brand loyal when it comes to pork rinds, and as such I end up buying many different kinds ... some times I'll open up a bag and it has "that smell" and I get why people think it's gross to eat them.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    [quote="canadjineh;c-40507111"The whole purpose of pork rinds for me is the super dry puffy crunch. I don't even like the flavour.

This makes sense. I'm not too brand loyal when it comes to pork rinds, and as such I end up buying many different kinds ... some times I'll open up a bag and it has "that smell" and I get why people think it's gross to eat them.

[/quote]

Agreed!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    [quote="canadjineh;c-40507111"The whole purpose of pork rinds for me is the super dry puffy crunch. I don't even like the flavour.

Agreed![/quote]

Some do smell. I can get past it. But I def learned better than to smell the bag. :lol: From the get go, I told myself I was eating chips and not pig epidermis. I think the smell of some brands coupled with the thought of what you're doing weirds people out too much.

My favorite ever are Hog's Heaven Salt and Vinegar. Their catch phrase "Put a little south in your mouth." The name of the brand and the line... :lol: Much entertaining of my inner 14-year-old.

Salt and Vinegar pork rinds and either slices of colby jack or sharp cheddar are my go-to snack every night.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Most places here in the States these can also be found in most dollar type stores (Dollar General I know for sure)...
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    I am obsessed with pork rinds since starting keto. We have sniks and nobbys in NZ and sniks are my favourite. <3