Back on track/lifting question

Options
PitBullMom_Liz
PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
So I had a fantastic Whole 30 - felt alive, lost 9 lbs, 9 inches, etc. Just great. But then blew it during the re-intro phase. I ended up Eating All The Things. It was ugly. VERY ugly. Like, a month's worth of ugliness. So now that I feel like crap again, I'm ready to get back on track. Yesterday I re-started my primal/paleo/Just Eat Real Food eating plan, and also started the Stronglifts 5x5 weight lifting program. Feeling pretty badass today, though the soreness is rapidly setting in, LOL.

Anyway, I always read about how people majorly up their calories when weight lifting, and chug protein drinks after lifting to encourage muscle repair. How do I know when my workout is at that point that I need to eat more and conscientously think about protein afterwards? Will I just know because I'll be run down? I am not a low-carber - I probably get 75-125 grams of carbs a day via veggies and sweet potatoes, so I'm not worried about energy (should I be???). I just don't know when to start adding extra protein and calories.

Thanks!

Replies

• Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Check out the accurate calorie counter at Scoobyworkshop.com. Initially you may want to select the light exercise setting until your routines are really challenging then bump it up to moderate if you think it describes your workouts better. You need to decide if you want to focus on losing weight, or building muscle. There is a setting for lose fat/ gain muscle but you'll lose weight slower with those recommendations.

There are also general guidelines for macro percentages, but most paleo people prefer to develop their own based on what works for them. Some people that lift heavy like I do eat a lot of protein, some people are on very low carb, high fat, moderate protein macros. That will just take some time to figure out, but I would look at your diary now and make gradual adjustments toward any change you decide to make.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I am interested in the responses to this as well.
    I am starting week 10 of lifting and have finally decided to jump on the higher protein band wagon.
    After reading New rules of lifting for women,protein seems to be the key.
    I will say that I have spent 10 weeks at moderate protein with no issues but as I want to build more muscle to aid in fat loss,protein seems to be the way forward.
    So,from my perspective,I have been able to increase weights over 10 weeks on moderate protein without any issue and I have not greatly increased my calories either.I have my calculator set to sedentary and I eat back some of my exercise calories but it depends on the day.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    Thank you!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I am pro-protein if you're going to lift. I currently target 40% protein/ 40% fat/ 20% carbs (2000 calories) and it is working well for me. I also feel it is necessary to get protein in immediately after a strength training session and I use whey protein to do that.

At an average of 100 grams of carbs, I don't think you'll have an energy issue, particularly if you're eating carbs before and after you work out. I've tried carb loading and all it did was leave me bloated. Going steady with 100 grams per day is working well for me.

The only other recommendation I'll put out there (and yes, this is my opinion), is to get a good mix of protein sources. I eat fish, beef, chicken, turkey, eggs, buffalo, pork and some dairy products. I use whey protein after a workout because I feel my body absorbs the protein faster than it does with solid food (the stomach has less work to do).

You didn't ask, but I'll add that weight training works best if you're getting adequate rest (time between sessions and sleep).

Enjoy!
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    Thanks for a great post, Ami! I can't remember what I have my percentages set to. I'll have to check that out. I should probably bump my calories up, too. I have it set for like 1800, but my TDEE (if set to "lightly active) is 2405. Between 3 miles every other day, weight lifting 3x a week, wonder if I should set it to "moderately active" which gives me a TDEE of 2711. Good god. Why does eating have to be so difficult?
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks for a great post, Ami! I can't remember what I have my percentages set to. I'll have to check that out. I should probably bump my calories up, too. I have it set for like 1800, but my TDEE (if set to "lightly active) is 2405. Between 3 miles every other day, weight lifting 3x a week, wonder if I should set it to "moderately active" which gives me a TDEE of 2711. Good god. Why does eating have to be so difficult?

I'd say that's moderately active, yeah. Are you looking to maintain or lose? If you want to lose, you'd probably want to aim for eating your TDEE minus 10%. I do CF 5 times a week and said I was moderately active, and my calorie goal every day is 2541. There's great info in the Eat More to Weigh Less group here on MFP!
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    Definitely want to lose! I want to lose at least 40 and then take it from there. I never thought I'd complain about having to EAT ALL THE FOOD, but honestly, when I'm eating primal-style, I'm content and happily full around 1800 calories. Right now, eating more just doesn't sound fun! LOL