How many days in a row do you stay in Keto mode.

magerchuk
magerchuk Posts: 25 Member
Hi all !
I've been really successful losing weight on a low carb diet and I'm going to start a full keto diet.
I've heard you shouldn't stay in keto constantly... to try and rotate in carb days...? How are you finding the best success?
any tips?
:smiley:

Replies

• JasonOnceAgain
    JasonOnceAgain Posts: 27 Member
    I try for 100%... but, it's not possible. I don't beat myself up every time I knock myself out of ketosis though, I'll pause and enjoy life as I see fit. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I focus on fat adaption more than staying in nutritional ketosis.

And it absolutely depends on why you are following a ketogenic diet as to how strict you should be or whether carb cycling could be beneficial.

I personally do not see carb cycling being effective for anyone using this for neurological reasons, those looking to lose weight, and endurance athletes. Anything else would have to be addressed individually.

That all being said, I allow the occasional food blip, but I do not plan any higher carb days specifically. Most of us are here for blood glucose control or weight loss, and rotating in high carb days is very counterproductive to this.

Again, let us know what you're trying to achieve with a ketogenic diet, @magerchuk - and we can provide better direction.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    I don't really track being in ketosis any more, I've been on maintenance for a couple of years. I do know that when I put too many carb days in a row problems recur. I have never noticed any issues all all after being below 50 carbs for months at a time, which generally means I'm in ketosis.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I don't track ketones but I eat practically no carbs at all so there's really no doubt. It's been over 2 years straight without any of these "issues" that are supposed to happen.
    There's absolutely no reason you can't stay keto all the time. Some people want to validate their choice to eat off plan foods and aren't simply able to say they just want to... you don't need a reason to eat carbs other than you want to. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it or not. If you choose to have a carb day, that's your right. You don't need justification. But you do have to deal with your own feelings relating to that choice and it's possible effect.
  • magerchuk
    Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate your insights.

@KnitOrMiss I'm trying a keto diet to keep my PCOS under control and keep my insulin levels in check. I don't have blood glucose level problems now but I notice my symptoms are better when I'm low carb. I've also got weight to lose.

I started eating with temporary fasting (with bulletproof coffee) and with reduced carbs and I've noticed a world of difference ! omg so amazing! So now I'm super excited and motivated and I feel like I can do more.
    I'm excited to reduce my carbs even more and see how it works.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    @magerchuk - If you feel good where you are, I would not intentionally lower your carbs further until you get more adjusted.

When you lower insulin, it can affect other body systems that are related. If you're feeling good at the level you are, I personally would suggest sticking with it for 12 weeks and just see where you go. You may find out that you're doing perfectly well where you are. For temporary fasting in the mornings, I prefer something more like the Rocket Fuel Latte to help with fasting while addressing female hormones specifically. You can find it HERE

There are many variations. It explains why she chooses each component that she does, etc. She also has a number of plans that revolve around female hormones, as well as why she no longer does carb up days, and how she achieved a number of things by using low carbs, etc. It's definitely worth reading, even if you only learn what to avoid or flag things for further research. Good luck.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Personally I don't do extra carbs, or carb ups. I know personally it will set me up for failure. I feel better physically & mentally on low carbs. the lower the better for me.
  • magerchuk
    @KnitOrMiss thanks! I'll have to give that rocket fuel a try.