Newly diagnosed ceoliac and just starting out paleo /primal

Trace281264
Trace281264 Posts: 5 Member
Hi Guys

I've spent the past few years in a bit on a mess. I'd eat cookies etc and then feel so tired I could have fallen alseep under my desk, I've been hounded by depression so bad that I couldn't see a way out, I'm asthmatic, arthritic, have no thyroid. Is it any wonder I gained loads of weight. Coeliac was the final straw for me and I went into major denial, i'd eat anything I could get my hands on especially if it was bad for me, cake, cookies, pasta, pasties etc.

Anyways, things don't change unless you make an effort do they? At the moment everything is clear and I can focus on finding my mojo. I have meds coming out of my ears but at the moment I need them.

For the past few days I've attempted to eat well, cut out the temptation of carbs, and focused on clean healthy meat and veggies. There are a couple of glitches but Rome wasn't built in a day!!

I've been a fan of Mark Sissons for ages and always new that his philosophy was the way forward for me and so I'm taking it on.

I'll make mistakes but I'll fix them and move on. I can say that even after a few days of dropping processed foods I feel better, and today I've eaten nothing but healthy pure foods. I have my almonds / walnuts by my desk, a stash of veggies and cooked eggs and meat in the fridge. I've also downloaded NerdFitness Paleo App to my phone so I can check food when out shopping.

A big concern for me is this:

I ride my bike, a lot (Or I did but I'm getting back into it) By a lot I mean I can do a sportive of 100 miles in one go. What I need is advice on what I can take with me in a backpack that is light, easy to transport and won't fall to bits on the journey. It has to be grain free and without sweetners as these also affect me. I also struggle with bananas!!

All advice would be extremely welcome.

Replies

• CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Hi and welcome to the lifestyle. Bike riding is my favorite type of exercise because I don't feel like I'm exercising. You've named a couple of snacks already, which would be perfect to take along - eggs, nuts, nitrate/nitrite free jerky, and homeade trail mix. I'm sure others will chime in and share more ideas.
  • cherryrobot
    cherryrobot Posts: 64 Member
    Hi and welcome to the lifestyle. Bike riding is my favorite type of exercise because I don't feel like I'm exercising. You've named a couple of snacks already, which would be perfect to take along - eggs, nuts, nitrate/nitrite free jerky, and homeade trail mix. I'm sure others will chime in and share more ideas.

Yep, nuts, jerky (nitrite & msg free), lara bars (fruit & nut bars- dairy and gluten free kind - some have dairy and or gluten so check the wrapper which is clearly marked), also since it doesn't seem like weight loss or being paleo is your main concern, you should go to whole foods or trade joes or the like and look at their gluten free sections for snacks on the go. If you decided to try Paleo than def go with the nuts, jerky, lara bars, dried fruit.. now these things are all supposed to be in moderation so when you aren't riding you should load up on veggies and meat.
  • Trace281264
    Trace281264 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks Guys for taking the time to answer x :smile:
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Also, with the mention of asthma and arthritis, I'd suggest checking out the anti-immune paleo protocol. It constrains your food choices some more, for a time, but you might be able to reintroduce some of the foods eliminated. Case in point -- after 6 weeks I've been able to start eating eggs again.

Unfortunately, it makes those nice backpack snacks a little more problematic.

Um. Thinking about what I took camping as an example. Container of baked sweet potato/yam mashed with butter or ghee? Homemade pickled beets and onions? Carrot, jicama, and celery sticks for crunch? Jerky made without soy sauce? Canned tuna/salmon in tear-pouch or can with a pop-top lid?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Hello. I've been ketogenic Primal for over a year and am now doing my first Whole30. The only real change for me is giving up the dairy but it took me a year to finally commit and DO it. I love what I eat and I love not being sick.

Best wishes on your journey. :flowerforyou: