Random Recommendation for Good Book re Iodine & Your Thyroid

Options
ladipoet
ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
Hello my Keto peeps! This past week-end I checked out a new "healthfood" store in my area that my hairdresser told me about a few weeks ago. While I was standing at the counter waiting to check out, I noticed a book there entitled "What Doctors Fail to Tell you About Iodine & Your Thyroid" written by Robert Thompson, M. D. The book caught my eye because last year my mom was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (low function) so I picked it up with her in mind. "Book" is really a misnomer. It's more of a large pamphlet (84 pages long - only 78 pages if you don't count all the reference source pages).

Anywhoooo, it's well written, very simple and easy to read. I read the whole thing in one night; however, I just wanted to pass on the recommendation to this group because I know that there are several members out there who deal with thyroid issues. I did some research about hypothyroidism online afer mom's diagnosis so I am familiar with much of what is contained in this book; however, I ended up learning quite a few interesting things too, for example: insufficient iodine levels lead to miscarriage(!) and in 1936 it was determined that 99% of the American people were deficient in basic nutrients of which iodine is one and that our iodine levels dropped by 50% between 1970 and 1994.

No, I'm not trying to scare-monger. Here's a link to the book/pamphlet:

https://www.amazon.com/What-Doctors-About-Iodine-Thyroid/dp/0988386682

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9j-Ma9ozc4

I hope some of you decide to read it!

Replies

• wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out Elle Russ’s book? The Paleo Thyroid Solution: Stop Feeling Fat, Foggy, And Fatigued At The Hands Of Uninformed Doctors - Reclaim Your Health! https://www.amazon.com/dp/1939563240/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4aDYzbH7G2MAF
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I don't have a thyroid problem but have favored iodized table salt over some of the more current popular salts specifically for the iodine. Iodine was added to salt in the US sometime in the 1920s due to goiter (a thyroid problem) being so prevalent at the time.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Options
    Especially high levels of goiter in the Great Lakes region or The Rust Belt. Yikes!!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I don't have a thyroid problem but have favored iodized table salt over some of the more current popular salts specifically for the iodine. Iodine was added to salt in the US sometime in the 1920s due to goiter (a thyroid problem) being so prevalent at the time.

Yes, they did that after initially TAKING OUT the iodine from salt and having to reverse their actions...typical government.
    Especially high levels of goiter in the Great Lakes region or The Rust Belt. Yikes!!

Yes, that is because there are certain areas all throughout the world, including areas here in the US that are considered "dirt poor" meaning the soil is so nutrient poor that it is incapable of growing food that contains enough nutrients to properly nourish the people living in those areas.

@wanderinjack ....I'm not familiar with this book. Thanks for the link. Will check it out!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Bumping...