Lactose Free Dairy

Options
lesumm3r
lesumm3r Posts: 18 Member
Hi,

I'm trying to eat paleo because I'm gluten and lactose intolerant but I also have a potential nut allergy (trying to get tests done to be sure).

Cutting out grains has therefore been moderately easy, the real trouble comes with me and dairy. As I'm a student, I live half the year at home with a mother who is very health conscious and as I cannot half nut milk, rice milk or soya milk and coconut milk (I'm allergic to both plants), she is very excited by recent discoveries of Lactofree products which are made from real dairy that's had lactase added to remove all lactose. The products therefore taste like normal dairy products, but have lower carb counts due to a reduction in lactose sugars (and they also don't make me sick which is a bonus!).

The ones I have are the semi-hard cheese, the semi-skimmed milk and the butter spread.

What I'm trying to ascertain is if it's ok to fit these in to the paleo programme as they don't contain lactose which as I understand is the main idea behind the elimination of dairy products?

Thank you in advance for any advice. I've tried looking online for answers but they have been inconclusive.

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm trying to eat paleo because I'm gluten and lactose intolerant but I also have a potential nut allergy (trying to get tests done to be sure).

Cutting out grains has therefore been moderately easy, the real trouble comes with me and dairy. As I'm a student, I live half the year at home with a mother who is very health conscious and as I cannot half nut milk, rice milk or soya milk and coconut milk (I'm allergic to both plants), she is very excited by recent discoveries of Lactofree products which are made from real dairy that's had lactase added to remove all lactose. The products therefore taste like normal dairy products, but have lower carb counts due to a reduction in lactose sugars (and they also don't make me sick which is a bonus!).

The ones I have are the semi-hard cheese, the semi-skimmed milk and the butter spread.

What I'm trying to ascertain is if it's ok to fit these in to the paleo programme as they don't contain lactose which as I understand is the main idea behind the elimination of dairy products?

Thank you in advance for any advice. I've tried looking online for answers but they have been inconclusive.

I'm not sure that it's just lactose (milk sugar), but also the casein (milk protein). People with gluten sensitivities often have a problem with casein as well. People in my family, for example, can tolerate high-fat dairy (premium ice cream, sour cream, raw cream, half-n-half in moderation, and full-fat cheese) because the fat seems to protect us somehow from the protein's effect.

The fact that lactose-free products don't make you sick certainly do sound like you have a lactose problem, though, so maybe the casein isn't as much of a problem for you.