keto and migraines

Options
tcunbeliever
tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
I think I'm going to give keto a try for migraine control. I was wondering if anyone in the group was actually using keto for migraines. If so, can you share any personal experience?

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I am on and off Keto. When I am on my migraines are nil. Absolutely not even happening. Even my daily headaches are gone. I have records of 11-13 migraines /month. My frequency has gone down to 3-4/month since being treated for hypothyroid as well. But I relapse(usually baking or candy get me) and then fall off the wagon for a while before heaving myself back on. I always feel awesome while I eat keto, I just need to get my cravings under control.

I started playing with Keto for migraines when my doc wanted me to try topamax. I refused because I hated the list of potential side effects. But the epileptic drug Rec made me do my research and find that there is a very strong correlation of migraine and seizure. Interesting stuff.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    What's the longest you have stayed keto in a single stretch?

I was reading about the neuroprotective benefits being permanent in epileptic children after 2 years, but there aren't any studies regarding if it's permanent in adults.

So, I was thinking of trying it for 2 years and going from there, but wondering if you have ever made it to the 2 year mark with the on/off cycle?
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have been on Keto for three months (I test my blood ketone levels). I have noticed several improvements in weight loss, anxiety control, and other areas, but sadly for me, it hasn't helped my migraines at all.

I take Topamax 50 mg 2 x a day as well. I still get exactly the same number of migraines as I did before Keto.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have been strict Keto since March. I notice maybe slightly fewer migraines? I expect to get them once a month tied to my cycle and since I went Keto there have been maybe 2 or 3 months where I didn't get one. I had really hoped they would be totally gone. Oh well!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @LizinLowell - No reason to give up hope yet...the longer you help those hormones behave, the more hope you can have to gradually have fewer and fewer until they are ALL gone!
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Thank you! Yes, I am keto for life so I'm still hopeful that the hormones are working their things out lol. Or maybe I'll hit menopause first, whichever! I know my hormones are still screwy because I get acne sometimes and other skin issues, plus random breast tenderness in the wrong part of my cycle. I've been taking DIM to help metabolize any estrogen released from my melting fat. I think it helps. I also use ProGest cream to balance things out. That stuff literally saved my life when I was so depressed I couldn't function 2 weeks out of every month, but I'm hoping to someday wean off it when things settle down hormonally.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    What's the longest you have stayed keto in a single stretch?

I was reading about the neuroprotective benefits being permanent in epileptic children after 2 years, but there aren't any studies regarding if it's permanent in adults.

So, I was thinking of trying it for 2 years and going from there, but wondering if you have ever made it to the 2 year mark with the on/off cycle?

Two years would be amazing. Sadly, the longest I have been able to adhere is 2 months. I am Working on my eating patterns though and am improving slowly.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just found this article about keto and migraines and thought I may post it but how handy.

http://bloomsmag.com/less-carbs-more-fat-ketogenic-diet-makes-migraine-patients-headaches-disappear/
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    Loved the article...I'm on day 3...so far so good...it didn't seem to have any impact on my strength training last night, which is good...so far today I feel less sore than I expected, but not sure if that's keto or if it's just going to clobber me tomorrow.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just something to consider - my migraines were weather-induced and I'd get 3-4 a week. I got my daith pierced on March 8th and haven't had ONE migraine since. It was a cheap fix. Hurt like a mofo for about 30 seconds but after that was easy. If you're going to do it, splurge on a reputable piercer. It's a tricky piercing if you're doing it for migraine relief. But man, I wish I'd done it sooner. It was life changing. Truly.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    Interesting...I think they are starting acupuncture at my chiro, so I may have to check that out.
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've experienced severe migraines my whole life, however I noticed after the keto flu (day 2-5) I've no longer suffered!
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't get migraines so can"t speak from experience This guy I work with takes the exogenous ketones and claims it works for him. He is extremely light sensitive and can get migraines from the bright fluorescent lighting at work. I never paid it a lot of attention but I will ask him for more info if it is something you would like to know more about?
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I'm on day 9 of keto, so 8 days complete...so far so good...as long as I keep a 2:1 ish ratio I do well...I was off one day and had a headache the next, so it's definitely important to keep the ratio in line.

I have an oyster festival this weekend, that's going to probably throw me out of line, but I'm going to have an avocado before and after, find me a keto drink supply, and then just not go crazy with the fritters while I'm there...the macros on the steamed and deep fried oysters are not that bad, but the fritters, man, there is just no offsetting those.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the oyster festival! That sounds like such a foreign concept. I'm just eat of the Rocky mountains on the prairies. Prairie oysters are the only celebrated type of oyster around here. ;)

My biggest migraine improvement was due to going gluten free. I'm a celiac who used to have a migraine about a third of the time. Going GF got it down to a couple of days a month.

Going LCHF lowered my rates of plain old headaches though. Sugar swings seem to give me headaches and add an extra migraine day in every month. My main improvemnet was mainly in just headaches.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Like nvmomketo, my migraines tend to be gluten induced, though going primal and low carb were what enabled me to figure it out, and my headaches in general drop from daily or nearly so to almost never (I literally went from 800mg ibuprofen to nothing in about a week). When I do get them, it's frequently because I had a "gray area" thing like artificial sweeteners or gluten free starches.