Stopping weight loss and entering maintenance

clcmfp
clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
For those who have reached their goal weight and entered maintenance how did you go about stopping your loss and entering maintenance?

My surgeon said my body will just stop losing, but considering I am 10 pounds from my goal and was mysteriously down 6 pounds in the last week, I'm thinking I may need to add more calories to stop it myself when I get to my goal weight.

Also, did you lose more than your goal to account for any rebound gain?

Replies

• fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    clcmfp wrote: »
    For those who have reached their goal weight and entered maintenance how did you go about stopping your loss and entering maintenance?

My surgeon said my body will just stop losing, but considering I am 10 pounds from my goal and was mysteriously down 6 pounds in the last week, I'm thinking I may need to add more calories to stop it myself when I get to my goal weight.

Below is a calculator to see your maintenance calories and macros. Its customized by (Age, sex, weight, height and activity level)

https://tdeecalculator.net/

My instructions were to add healthy carbs after I lost 75% of my weight.
    Healthy carbs= brown rice, Sweet potato, whole wheat pasta and bread (Nothing white or processed)

I'm 5'5" In six months I reached my goal of 140. lowest weight 125. I maintained for two years at 130. I gave myself a 10 pound bounce range to maintain.

Other patients warned me about the dreaded third year. I thought it was a myth. If I eat off plan on a weekend, I can easily gain 5 pounds. It takes me a month and a half to lose the 5 pounds. I miss the days of fast weight loss.

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    clcmfp wrote: »

The best way to determine your maintenance calories is to have a RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) Test done. Many dietitian places can do this these days--I had my local dietitian place do mine. While averages can be fine for most people, those daily calorie estimators can be quite a bit off for others--all the calorie estimators I found online, including MFP, were "off" by about 35% for me.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm going to check and see if my doctor's office offers the RMR test. Right now I'm getting some information from my Fitbit and Apple watch. I add the resting calorie burn from both apps together and divide by 2 but I would like something that might be more accurate.

• fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    You can pay to get a complete accurate body composition RMR. $117 to $167
    http://dexabody.com/pricing.html

Are RMR and BMR the same? Mostly, except for the fact that BMR is going to be a slightly more accurate reading. However, both play a role in the process of weight loss and weight maintenance.
    Both BMR and RMR are measured by gas analysis through either direct or indirect calorimetry, although a rough estimation of RMR can be acquired through an equation using age, sex, height and weight

My choice is the rough estimation on https://tdeecalculator.net/ It uses BMR in the calculation. If I was a professional athlete, I may pay the $117 to $167 dollars for accuracy.

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    fit_chickx wrote: »
    You can pay to get a complete accurate body composition RMR. $117 to $167
    http://dexabody.com/pricing.html

Are RMR and BMR the same? Mostly, except for the fact that BMR is going to be a slightly more accurate reading. However, both play a role in the process of weight loss and weight maintenance.
    Both BMR and RMR are measured by gas analysis through either direct or indirect calorimetry, although a rough estimation of RMR can be acquired through an equation using age, sex, height and weight

My choice is the rough estimation on https://tdeecalculator.net/ It uses BMR in the calculation. If I was a professional athlete, I may pay the $117 to $167 dollars for accuracy.

Only $57 for an RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) test in Utah!...that's a great price--my local dietitian place was more like double that. An RMR test would have saved me years of failed dieting attempts thinking I just lacked "will power" to stick with a diet when it was those diets and calorie estimators that were simply underestimating my daily calories by 35% making those diets impossible for me to stick with.