Fail!

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
Not everything goes to plan, especially when you are Keto baking!
I found a recipe for mock corn bread, one of Maria's. Typically her recipes are pretty good. This one didn't hold up. The taste wasn't too bad, but it was too eggy and too sweet for my taste. And the texture was wet and spongy. And they look really yucky!

This is a big fat fail!

Replies

• EryOaker
    Options
    wd2saplawbuh.jpg
    2635ko0mdelb.jpg
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    This may boil down to a couple of different things like (1) you may be using different brand ingredients than she is (protein powder, almond flour, coconut flour, whatever); and/or (2) it may also have to do with the fact that ovens cook differently across the world depending on your elevation, and things like humidity in the air when making and baking up a recipe, etc. Just a couple of things to consider.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    Yeah, I followed the recipe to a T. I think the issue may be that she uses a bleached/blanched pecan meal and I made my own (as suggested in the book if you didn't have the pecan meal handy). I'll try it one more time before putting this recipe to rest.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmm....call me suspicious , but that pic in the book

looks a lot like a jiffy mix muffin to me...lol ....... not pecan meal.

( edited for sp.)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmm....call me suspicious , but that pic in the book

looks a lot like a jiffy mix muffin to me...lol ....... not pecan meal.

( edited for sp.)

:lol: Yes it does.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    For years I was frequently disappointed when my attempts looked nothing like the pictures in the cookbook or the magazine. Then I found out there is a recognized career path called "Food Stylist." They use techniques like finishing off a Thanksgiving turkey with a layer of shellac and thickening cake frosting with Plaster of Paris, explaining why your cake didn't turn out as elaborately and beautifully curlicued as theirs.

And this was long before the era of Photoshop.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The food I make would rarely be something picture worthy in the minds of most. However, from a taste standpoint, I am pretty confident it at least holds it own. That said, if you are cooking for others, it has to at least look good enough for them to try it.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    For years I was frequently disappointed when my attempts looked nothing like the pictures in the cookbook or the magazine. Then I found out there is a recognized career path called "Food Stylist." They use techniques like finishing off a Thanksgiving turkey with a layer of shellac and thickening cake frosting with Plaster of Paris, explaining why your cake didn't turn out as elaborately and beautifully curlicued as theirs.

And this was long before the era of Photoshop.
    Indeed. My cousin in Italy is a food stylist. Most - if not all - of the food she works on is rendered completely inedible by her 'cosmetic alteration'...
    The Japanese, of course, are complete masters of making artificial food models, out of wax. it is an utterly fascinating art to watch....
    cstehansen wrote: »
    The food I make would rarely be something picture worthy in the minds of most. However, from a taste standpoint, I am pretty confident it at least holds it own. That said, if you are cooking for others, it has to at least look good enough for them to try it.

The Japanese of course, are complete masters at creating delicious, edible works of art. It is considered good etiquette, and suitably polite, to first admire the dish presented for at least a minute, before eating it....

The saying "you eat first with your eyes" is basically true....