Anyone with a family history of type2 diabetes?

Options
amyfrogred
amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
Today is my 47th Birthday! It's considered a mile stone in my family. Here is a little background...I'm number 11 of the 15 children my mother gave birth to 11,  adopted 2 and 2 are half siblings. I'm the last to reach 47 years of age of the 11. My mom died 40 years ago 30 minutes before midnight it would be her 47th birthday, my grandmother and great  grandmother died at the age of 47 of complications of type2 diabetes also. I was diagnosed this year in May with type2 diabetes and have done my part to stay healthy so I can live a great life.  So, yes happy BIRTHDAY to me!

Replies

• CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Congratulations!
    I was also adopted, and I found my birth mother.
    She died a few short years later in her sleep; I presume from a heart attack.
    I know that she had type2 diabetes which she didn't deal with. She'd also had at least 2 "small" heart attacks before she died; I suspect that she was also an alcoholic.
    She was 58 years old.

I'm 67, with type2.

Happy HAPPY birthday!

1kylotydsc1w.jpg

• amyfrogred
    amyfrogred Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    CrisEBTrue wrote: »
    Congratulations!
    I was also adopted, and I found my birth mother.
    She died a few short years later in her sleep; I presume from a heart attack.
    I know that she had type2 diabetes which she didn't deal with. She'd also had at least 2 "small" heart attacks before she died; I suspect that she was also an alcoholic.
    She was 58 years old.

I'm 67, with type2.

Happy HAPPY birthday!

1kylotydsc1w.jpg

Thank you.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

No family history here. It is just me.

My wife has it on her side, but her numbers have been good. Because of the history, I have encouraged her to check fasting BG for a week or so. It has been low 100's and I think she is going to ask her doctor for an A1C.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Way to break that chain!

No history of T2D for me. I would guess that two of my dad's siblings had insulin resistance but that's it. I think mine might have been caused by poor health from autoimmune issues, steroids, and too much sugar. But I'm guessing. :blush:

It is weird to pass your parent, isn't it. A couple of years ago I passed the age my dad was when he died of cancer. It felt very strange. (hug)
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    my grandmother on my dad's side was diabetic 2, my mothers brother is type 2 (has lost his sight due to the disease. My mother was hypoglycemic and then turned to diabetic 2. Now me, so yes, I would say, have family history of the disease.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    for me, only on my father's side of the family and they all have type-2.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yes I have T2 on both sides of my family, My great aunt went blind and lost a foot to uncontrolled diabetes
  • rosyone1
    rosyone1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My brother, my mother, her brother, and their father all have or had T2. When my grandfather died from a stroke nearly 50 years ago in his mid-60s it was blamed on high blood pressure caused by one of the early diabetes management drugs. On my father's side, his paternal grandfather was the only diabetic I know of. That's going way back to the days when the treatment was a near-starvation diet that included ground pancreases.
  • catt59
    catt59 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Three of my grandparents had diabetes, they weren't diagnosed until they were in their 50s or 60s. My mother is diabetic and I have several cousins on both sides of my family that are also diabetic.
  • Yadagoy
    Yadagoy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I didn't grow up thinking that I had a family history. I got gestational diabetes that eventually turned into Type-2. After my diagnosis, I've found out that my father and my uncle have developed diabetes, and through some ancestry research, I've found a good number of relatives on their side whose cause of death was diabetes related. So, yes, I guess it does run in the family.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Mom had it, but hers is now so well controlled that she is five, maybe ten times more likely to be hypo than hyper at any given moment. Oh, what I wouldn’t give for her system, because hypoglycemia seems to be so much more fun/easier/more pleasant to overcome than hyper (“eat or drink as soon as possible,” as opposed to “shoot your weight in insulin and do not eat or drink (no, not even water) without talking to your doctor and running a full marathon first (no, ignore the aid stations...that’s temptation you can’t afford!”).
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My mother had T2, so did her brother, who’s been stick thin all his life. Their mother was likely diabetic likely diabetic going back and my grandfathers sister had diabetes, also stick thin all her life. It seems to run in the family, thin or overweight.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My Dad, his Mom, and several paternal aunts and uncles had it. My Mom has it as well.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    yes my mother had Type 2 but never officially diagnosed my brother was diagnosed at age 60 and me at age 50 .
    accidentally by locum My brother died at 69. He \and I had genes like my mother's side of the family, my sister and other brother look quite different and have genes from my Dad's side of the family, they were not diabetic.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    amyfrogred wrote: »
    Today is my 47th Birthday! It's considered a mile stone in my family. Here is a little background...I'm number 11 of the 15 children my mother gave birth to 11,  adopted 2 and 2 are half siblings. I'm the last to reach 47 years of age of the 11. My mom died 40 years ago 30 minutes before midnight it would be her 47th birthday, my grandmother and great  grandmother died at the age of 47 of complications of type2 diabetes also. I was diagnosed this year in May with type2 diabetes and have done my part to stay healthy so I can live a great life.  So, yes happy BIRTHDAY to me!

Awesome Amy,an amazing family history -may you break the family trend and live a long and purposeful life. and see the healing of your Family Tree for the present and future generations. Thanksfor sharing this