Weight loss after a fast ... full post

Options
lisaze30
lisaze30 Posts: 15 Member
Firstly, I'd like to start by saying I'm not usually this neurotic or obsessive and I do understand that the best way to lose weight is a sensible, steady loss and that you shouldn't weigh yourself everyday.

Now having said that :smile:

I've been fasting every other day! I've done 4 fast days. I've seen weight loss after my 2nd fast day... but since then nothing! Feeling very fustrated as it's like all that hard work of 2 extra fast days were for nothing.

I'm trying to lose as much as I can in these coming 3 weeks because I'll be seeing my husband, I haven't seen him for 4 months and in the last 6 weeks I've put on 8 kilos :(
I want to at least be able to see him at the same weight he last saw me as.

Does anyone have an explanation or can give me any advice on how to ramp up weight loss for the next 3 weeks? After that I'm more than happy to go back to slowly and steady 2 fasts a day!

Thank you

p.s... my last post I did from my phone and only half my note would post not sure why and now I can't delete it!

Replies

• Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hi @lisaze30

Posting from a phone or a tablet on this site can some time be a little wonky. I will see if I can delete that post for you after I comment on this.

I understand your frustration. With 8 kilos or 17 pounds (I translated that since I am in the US) it didn't come on overnight so it won't come off overnight. I am just being honest. Right?

So, let's just take a deep breath and let your body catch up a little. That is probably what is happening. Your body is saying whoa we were eating all this yummy food and now you are giving us 500 calories every few days - what is going on here. Let me just halt everything until I figure it out. :o

Your husband is your partner, your soul mate, etc. and should understand if you hit some hard times when you had your surgery and you put on some pounds. I would just be honest and up front with him. In case you have not told him.

You are a work in progress. You are gaining control of the situation now with a plan that is starting to work for you. You may be able to take off some more before you see him. But, if you don't take off all the 8 kilos off then that is okay too. You are working your way back, to a more healthy you. Keep drinking your water and stay focused on your fasting. You have the train back on the right track. Keep looking ahead and don't look back. You can do it. :D
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @lisaze30 - Thank you so much for your honest post. I am glad you shared your heart with us.

IMHO, I think it would be quite hard as well as unhealthy to lose 8 kilos in three weeks. When we go on a very severe calorie restriction, the body thinks FAMINE and slows the metabolism to conserve energy. Then when we go back to eating highter calorie levels, the slowed metabolism is not able to burn up the higher calories and they are stored as fat. That is why we only fast 2 days a week for the 5:2 plan so that we don't slow the metabolism. So while it seems like it will get you to your goal faster to fast every other day, it will back fire on you. You may lose 8 kilos then gain 10 back! Also, too much fasting keeps your body from the nutrients it needs. When you see your husband for the first time, we wouldn't want you to collapse in his arms literally. :open_mouth:

While this may not be what you want to hear, a slower weight loss will in the long run allow you to reach your goal of weighing what your husband last saw you at and go on to maintain that weight. And I am sure he would prefer a healthy wife!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Great points @jknight001

Hope you are doing okay @lisaze30 we are here for you and support you. :)
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Catching up here... great points jknight! I second all that!!!
  • jknight001
    Options
    One thing I forgot to add is that I have found exercise, especially weight lifting, really helps smooth out the weight loss process by keeping up the metabolism. The more muscle we have, the more we burn, the higher our metabolism. And of course, muscle looks better than fat! :lol:
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good point as well! Muscle burns fat, fat doesn't burn fat.
    I am going to drop down a little with the cardio to start focusing on my arms and upper body very soon via weights. Can you say loose skin (arms)!? :o
  • jknight001
    Options
    Meghan509 wrote: »
    Good point as well! Muscle burns fat, fat doesn't burn fat.
    I am going to drop down a little with the cardio to start focusing on my arms and upper body very soon via weights. Can you say loose skin (arms)!? :o

You might also want to work on the legs too since there are some big muscles down there! Big muscles = big burn!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Yes good point! With all my treadmill cardio I am feeling pretty good about my legs these days. My thighs are feeling and looking pretty solid! B)