Anyone else have stomach cramps?

Options
BeatlesGirl20
BeatlesGirl20 Posts: 15 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
I am 4 weeks in and having stomach cramps so bad every morning. I try to drink over 50 oz of water every day. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The only time I really get stomach cramps is related to eating - I don't have a gallbladder and have to use digestive enzymes.

However, if you're drinking at lot of that water at once or not adding electrolytes, it might be a contributing factor. I'm honestly not sure.

And if your picture is accurate, 50 oz of water might be enough...but for me, it isn't close to enough. They say to take your weight in pounds, cut that in half, and drink AT LEAST half that much in ounces (so 200 pounds in half is 100 oz of water a day, 150 pounds is 75 oz, and so on)... But you should be drinking to thirst and watching the electrolytes.

Watching your urine color is probably the easiest way to track dehydration. Google urine color chart dehydration and you should get some decent images...
  • BeatlesGirl20
    BeatlesGirl20 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You're welcome. Some more ideas, now that I've slept on it...

Also, whatever your last meal of the day is could contribute...

And/or how long you're going between your last meal before bed and your first meal in the morning...

In general, cramping can also be indicative of magnesium deficiency.

@Sunny_Bunny_ @FIT_Goat @Dragonwolf - anyone have more suggestions?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I personally doubt water has anything to do with it but I don't believe water beyond what you're actually thirsty for is necessary. I think forcing yourself to drink any certain amount is unnecessary and possibly problematic. Especially if you're not supplementing sodium adequately.
    Do you wake up with the cramps or do they happen after you eat/drink something?
    Do they go away after the morning? Are you having loose or hard stools?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    That's part of the reason I suggested checking urine color for hydration. Some folks are just far more efficient at that process than others!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I only have stomach cramps when I have lots of fiber. So, I can't offer much advice more than that. I can state that it is not a "normal" symptom, so it would be something I would try and discover what is causing it to happen. Try seeing if it is certain foods, or if you can help it by upping the electrolytes.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If you're eating foods that have sugar alcohols in them, that could be the culprit. Stuff like malitol, sorbitol, xylitol (notice the common "itol" ending of the words) commonly cause digestive issues. My innerds start to grumble almost the minute I eat them and they rumble and gurgle the whole way down until exit.
  • NotMarcia
    NotMarcia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I opened this thread because I have stomach cramps. More like abdomen cramps. I get charley horses in my abdomen -- much worse than calf cramps.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    NotMarcia wrote: »
    I opened this thread because I have stomach cramps. More like abdomen cramps. I get charley horses in my abdomen -- much worse than calf cramps.

@NotMarcia - I remember the first time I learned about abdominal migraines. A friend's teenage daughter developed them around 14 years old, I think. It was terrible!!! She still gets them sometimes, but we're not in touch anymore, so I've no idea what they did...

I wonder if that could be related to what you suffer from?