HELP!!

Options
ssaschaa
ssaschaa Posts: 8 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
I really need help with ways to get a lot of protein in whilst keeping my carbs down. I have tried lots of nuts and nut butter but they add way too much fat. I am vegan so I can't have any meat, dairy, eggs etc. All suggestions are appreciated thanks.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    bacon is magical

steak, chicken, pork chops, tuna, eggs
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Roasts are great! Whole chicken that were smoked or slow cooked. Peas, Collard Greens, and Squash have good protein for veggies.
  • ssaschaa
    ssaschaa Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    bacon is magical

steak, chicken, pork chops, tuna, eggs

Hey, thanks so much for he suggestion. I completely forgot to add in that I am vegan - even though that's one of the main points, just so normal for me now. I've just added it in. Thanks anyways!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Open this link from our Launch Pad (in the stickies) and scroll down to "Vegan". Might be something in there to help you.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348418/various-lc-programs#latest
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds are fairly low in fat. Per ounce:
    10 grams of protein
    6 grams fat
    4 grams carbs (3 net)

How low are your calories and how high are you trying to keep protein? Are you in training for an athletic event or engaging in heavy lifting (or something) that you need higher than typical protein? You need protein but you also need fat. Eating fat won't make you fat. I ate upwards of 75 % of my calories daily in fat for a year when eating medically therapeutic keto and didn't gain a pound.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Can you eat tofu? Tofu has 2g/carbs and 13g protein per serving (1/4 block). If you eat 1/2 a block at a time, it would be 4 carbs and 26g protein...

Also, Tempeh has 3g net carbs (10 carbs - 7 fiber) and 19g protein per serving. Again you could eat two servings for 6g net carbs and 38 protein.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Soy in pretty much any form. Nutritional yeast. Pea protein powder.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    ssaschaa wrote: »
    I really need help with ways to get a lot of protein in whilst keeping my carbs down. I have tried lots of nuts and nut butter but they add way too much fat. I am vegan so I can't have any meat, dairy, eggs etc. All suggestions are appreciated thanks.

Definitely start adding the leafy greens (spinach, broccoli, etc.) that up your protein. Goddess dressing from Trader Joes is my favorite. There are lots of lists online with proper protein/fiber/carb counts. Look towards net carbs (dietary fiber minus carbs) instead of total carbs as a goal since most vegan options will have more carb count than non-veg. Many of the faux meats have a lower net carb count so definitely check the lables, sometimes they add stuff to the mix which throws things out of whack. I personally like tofu, Smart products, Boca products, Beyond Meat, Field Roast, and some Gardein options for meat substitutes. There are also Raw Rev Glo protein bars, Nugo Slim bars, and Orgain Protein powders that I sometimes eat when I work out hard. I will add chia or hemp seed to my protein shakes and sometimes psyllium husk or flax seed for fiber. I've found that some of the unsweetened "milks" (soy, coconut, cashew, etc.) can be added to a protein shake. Make sure they are unsweetened because the regular ones contain added sugar. A lot of people like Vega One protein shakes but I just don't care for them as much as Orgain. I don't drink shakes daily but maybe once or twice a week. I would check the carb count on nutritional yeast, I like it but I think it can be a bit high. There are some vegan Paleo options out there like wraps and nut blends that add a little more variety.

There are lots of vegan products that have relatively low net carbs. It's more difficult to go low carb vegan but its not impossible. If you are a raw vegan it might be a little harder but most raw vegans I meet just lose weight because they don't eat vegan junk food full of sugar.

Trader Joes has limited options but I tend to stock up on their vegan stuff because its fairly cheap compared to Whole Paycheck. Sprouts is a good place also if you have a store nearby. My wife returned from Smiths yesterday with a lot of vegan products so they are becoming more available at regular grocery stores. I order all my Raw Rev Glo bars and other vegan items from Amazon if I can't find them locally.