What types of splits do you like?

Options
stacj27
stacj27 Posts: 71 Member
One muscle group once a week? Alternating upper and lower body? Alternating push/pull routines? What are your preferred splits and why. I did one muscle group a week, saw results, but now I'm not feeling it as much. I'm trying out alternating upper and lower body but might test out some more. I'd love to know what everyone else likes!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I've done body part splits and upper/lower splits, but I prefer full body. I love and see results with high frequency, especially the glutes which I work at least 4x per week. A body part split, would not get me that (legs only once a week, wha? Haha).. so it's not for me and my goals.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I prefer full body as well. I did body splits in the past, and was not seeing much results. Plus I get super sore, my symptoms act up, and it's difficult to go to the gym more than 3x a week. With full body it's easy for me to get in and out, and I have seen steady results.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Banana . Sorry couldn't help myself . I split upper and lower body . I need a rest day in between so this worked for me .
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Protein Synthesis (aka rebuilding of muscle) is usually a 48 hour process after you lift, so basically, you CAN train the same muscle group/s every other day. For that reason, I hate splits. Working a muscle group once a week is not optimal. I've always been a fan of Upper/Lower workouts - Upper/Lower/REST/repeat.
  • tripleformfitness
    Options
    I typically split days like this: arms, legs, chest, back, delts, OFF, cardio. I like the focus that comes from training one area per session. I always incorporate compound movements into my workouts so that technically I'm not just hitting one area at a time. I also throw abs (broomstick twists) or extra glutes in randomly when I have time at the end of a session or in between sets.

I tried doing push/pull splits, which was fun, but I didn't see growth like I wanted. I also am a fan of upper/lower days, although I wasn't recovered enough for lower body day after only one day off. I found I would only half-*kitten* my leg training when I was really sore and I just couldn't get the reps or weight I wanted.

In a few weeks I'm going to change my split so that I'm doing shoulders/back (heavy weight/low reps), legs (heavy weight/low reps), chest/arms (heavy weight/low reps), OFF, shoulders/back (High rep), legs (High rep), chest/arms (High rep). We'll see how that goes. I like the idea of training muscle groups twice a week instead of once.