Protein Goal?

Options
purpletunic
purpletunic Posts: 16 Member
I find it really hard to meet all my other goals without going over my protein goals. Recommended 61 g of protein a day and I'm over today by 20 grams. Is that dangerous?

About me:

Sedentary
155 lbs
Female, 25 years old

Daily Goals:
Calories- 1215
Protein-61 g
Carbs- 20 or less
Fat- 101 g

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Protein is a goal range. Unless you go over it by HUNDREDS of grams or are an extreme diabetic, it isn't likely to cause problems...

@Sunny_Bunny_ has some great links to explain this...

61 grams actually seems somewhat low to me. I understand that you are sedentary...that's only part of the picture. How tall are you? And what is your goal weight range?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's totally fine to go over and 61 seems low to me too.
    I'm eating around 120g myself and I don't work out at all.
    Calculate it using the ketogains macro calculator.
    Luis Villasenor suggests 0.8g per pound of lean mass as a minimum to meet every day. This is consistent with Stephen Phinney and Jeff Voleks recommendations as well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @purpletunic - Tagging just in case you didn't get notified of responses.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's totally fine to go over and 61 seems low to me too.
    I'm eating around 120g myself and I don't work out at all.
    Calculate it using the ketogains macro calculator.
    Luis Villasenor suggests 0.8g per pound of lean mass as a minimum to meet every day. This is consistent with Stephen Phinney and Jeff Voleks recommendations as well.

Yep, have to agree with both Knit and Sunny. Your protein is definitely on the low side. FWIW, I'm 5' 6.5" tall and I normally eat anywhere between 100-110g of protein every day.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason for keeping protein limited, eating 81 grams versus 61 is not dangerous. If eating 81 puts you over your calorie goal of 1215, to eat over your calorie goal long term will most likely slow weight loss.
    I find it really hard to meet all my other goals without going over my protein goals. Recommended 61 g of protein a day and I'm over today by 20 grams. Is that dangerous?

About me:

Sedentary
    155 lbs
    Female, 25 years old

Daily Goals:
    Calories- 1215
    Protein-61 g
    Carbs- 20 or less
    Fat- 101 g

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Your goals seem way too low in calories as well to me.

If it were me, I'd add on about 50g of protein and add that to the calories which would bring you to 1415 per day. The goal is to lose fat, not lean body mass, so adequate protein and a reasonable deficit are important.