Sneaking in.

Options
Hi. I'm Sherry. I live in Wilmington, Delaware with my son and dog. I'm not quite 40 but I hope it's ok. I'm about to turn in December. I have an son that turns 19 in December. Freshman in college and driving me nuts. I started this journey many, many times but most recently about a year ago. I started out strong and lost 40 pounds - from 315 to 270 and change. For the past 5 months I'm going up and down the same 10 pounds and not making any progress so I joined some diet bets. It's a big deal since I'm on a very tight budget but I'm hoping it works. I think if I can break into my 260's I'll be golden and back on track. My body just doesn't want to budge at the moment. I work as a legal admin days and retail nights and weekends. I am at the gym the nights I don't work. Unfortunately I'm a sugar addict and trying very hard to overcome it in an office full of sweets at every corner. I also have a love affair with cheese and diet cherry pepsi. All bad things. I should really try to do high fat low carb but for now I'm settling with calorie in, calorie out. Suggestions are welcome, as are friends. Thanks!!

Replies

• maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Hi there, welcome! It sounds like you are very busy and have quite a full plate! Good for you getting to the gym on your nights off. I was stuck for quite awhile myself and have just started seeing the scale move again. For me, its mostly about my evening snacking. I seem to do good in the day, lots of control but at night I can't keep it together. Lately, I have been.
    Good luck!
  • Shrinkydinking
    Shrinkydinking Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I’m not too bad at nights. I don’t keep things in my house. The only junk in my house is my son’s food which I would never eat. (He has eosinophilic disease and has a very limited diet. His food is sacred to me.) My hard part is at work and the candy every where and soda. They keep the fridge stocked and there are literally bowls of candy like kit kats and milky ways and peppermint patties everywhere. Once I eat one piece I just can’t stay away so I’m trying to not eat it at all which is hard for me. I’m also trying to stick to water only at the office but I do have a half a glass to take my meds at night. A 2 liter lasts me about a week to week and a half.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Office snacks are ubiquitous these days. It's TERRIBLE. That's one reason I love my job as a bus driver. I'm on my own out there and have my own snacks with me.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Welcome, you can sneak in, I am hanging in by a thread, almost 50 :p You are really busy but this can also play in your favor. I personally don't like to share in the office food . . . but you might be able to play some games with yourself regarding those. When you know it's there maybe try setting a timer even for 3 minutes before you get it or even eat it at your desk. Try serving it on a plate or something - this works at home and the office (bring a saucer from home if you don't have plates at work). There are all sorts of little tricks you can try to manage the snacking, little ways that make it matter more so you are really aware of it - it's really easy to pop something in your mouth and then you realize you have done it 5 times. For the cheese, not sure what kind you like but try using a potato peeler to slice it works wonders, you still get to have cheese and if you tried this you will see an ounce can go a long way.

The plateau happens, I would always keep in mind that our bodies are like a world of magic and though we are not seeing things the way we want there can be a lot of things going on behind the scenes that really matter. So stay on the healthy path and it will happen.
  • Shrinkydinking
    Shrinkydinking Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The sweets are all mini candies like milky ways and peppermint patties and snickers. Very easy to grab and handful and toss in a drawer and pop them in. Then there is 40 - 50 calories for nothing. I'm doing my best to pretend it doesn't even exist.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I really appreciate the kind and helpful words.