Class and Practice Check in - Week of 10/9/2017

Options
As martial artists who are also members of a WL and fitness website, it can be helpful for us to remain accountable to each other, and share training ideas.

Any time you participate in class, or practice out side of class, post here and let everyone know. You can write something as simple as "Went to sparring class... got my licks in", or get into as much detail on the practice as you'd like.

This post gets rebuilt every week, to remind us to approach each practice/training/class with a fresh perspective:

- It doesn't matter how hard you worked yesterday... what matters is what you do today.

Replies

• Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Boxing class and then one of the pro-boxers asked me out of all the hobbyists if I could get some sparring rounds in with him. He has a fight coming up with a killer from out of town.

I felt honored and can always use the work on my striking even if he did drop me with a liver shot. (Which he totally complimented me on getting back to my feet and finishing the round, but man those are agony.)
  • Valsgoals
    Valsgoals Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to say I'll be back in class next Monday. YAY, finally!! I did start practicing my form to see if there was any pain left when shifting from stance to stance. So far so good.
  • shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Judo class tonight ended with an injury--one of the kids sprained his knee. I know injuries are part of this sport, and I've had plenty of bruises, mat burns, head knocks, and sprains myself, but this one shook me up a little. It's worse when it happens to someone else. I was really afraid for him. He was fine in a few minutes, though, and asked how to sign up for the tournament next month before he left. I love to see that kind of spirit!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Judo class tonight ended with an injury--one of the kids sprained his knee. I know injuries are part of this sport, and I've had plenty of bruises, mat burns, head knocks, and sprains myself, but this one shook me up a little. It's worse when it happens to someone else. I was really afraid for him. He was fine in a few minutes, though, and asked how to sign up for the tournament next month before he left. I love to see that kind of spirit!

I'm glad he's OK!

It's been my experience that martial arts is in general very safe, and serious injury is rare when the training is managed well.

I have seen a lot more people end up with knee surgery because of soccer and basketball in a lot less time than martial arts. A few examples: My daughter's old basketball coach just ripped out his Achilles tendon, and a few years back, my company formed a soccer team and started getting into competitive adult soccer. The team was dissolved when 4 people ended up needing ACL surgery in less than 6 months.

• Valsgoals
    Options
    I probably damaged my knee more with running and in Tabata class. Tabata is similar to a boot camp but it is done in short, fast bursts to get a HIIT type workout out of it.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Valsgoals wrote: »
    I probably damaged my knee more with running and in Tabata class. Tabata is similar to a boot camp but it is done in short, fast bursts to get a HIIT type workout out of it.

I hope not recently! I have to stay away from running for the same reason.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

I wanted to be a runner. We bought a treadmill earlier this year and after 3x trying to run with my knees screaming at me I decided that it's not for me.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Thanks to a skiing accident, and complete knee reconstruction 23 years ago.. running is out of the question. Anything more than ~1 mile, and I'm my knee is wrecked for weeks.

But - one thing that having a chronic knee issue has given me is the necessity to pay attention to technique, to be diligent I am executing my kicks correctly, as to not put stress on my knees, and to keep my legs strong, to support the joint. As a result, martial arts never bothers my knees.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    I managed to make it "up and down the ladder" for the first time.

Completed it in 72 minutes. It was brutally hard! I think I should have made a little more incremental approach, and maybe not gone quite so long, as I'm paying for it today with a rather sore body... but I'm feeling accomplished.

Next goal: finish in under 60 minutes.
  • Valsgoals
    Options
    Great accomplishment BW! I'm sore just thinking about it.

No, my running injury isn't very recent. It originally happened in the spring. I never gave it a chance to fully heal nor did I know how to properly strengthen it. It let me know as much in late August. That's when I found out I sprained my MCL and meniscus and have been in PT since. Like you, I have to make sure I always fully pay attention to technique in not only TKD but in my other activities.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options

No, my running injury isn't very recent. It originally happened in the spring. I never gave it a chance to fully heal nor did I know how to properly strengthen it. It let me know as much in late August. That's when I found out I sprained my MCL and meniscus and have been in PT since. Like you, I have to make sure I always fully pay attention to technique in not only TKD but in my other activities.

To be honest, you will be a better martial artist for the attention to detail... at least I know I am. I had to give up the "just go for it" approach to learning new techniques, and take a much more incremental approach to learning, which although slows things down a little, makes for much better technique in the long run! I also had to learn how to fix the techniques that I had been doing incorrectly - that perfect knees didn't care much about (at the time), but would likely have caused joint issues later had I not fixed them.
  • Soy_K
    Soy_K Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »

To be honest, you will be a better martial artist for the attention to detail... at least I know I am. I had to give up the "just go for it" approach to learning new techniques, and take a much more incremental approach to learning, which although slows things down a little, makes for much better technique in the long run! I also had to learn how to fix the techniques that I had been doing incorrectly - that perfect knees didn't care much about (at the time), but would likely have caused joint issues later had I not fixed them.

^^ I appreciate these thoughts a lot. I feel especially now that I'm older and more rickety, I'm a little paranoid about injuring myself because it's soo easy to do. I don't push as hard as I used to when I was younger even though I know I could* - I'd always rather stay a little on the safe side because the whole point is being able to do it for a long time!
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Karate Kata class tonight. We worked with nunchucks at the end...and I wacked myself in the forehead. I've got a nice lump now and I'm sure there will be a pretty bruise tomorrow. Oopsie! Luckily most of the people had already cleared out, so I didn't have much of an audience. :)
  • Soy_K
    Options
    Bianca42 wrote: »
    Karate Kata class tonight. We worked with nunchucks at the end...and I wacked myself in the forehead. I've got a nice lump now and I'm sure there will be a pretty bruise tomorrow. Oopsie! Luckily most of the people had already cleared out, so I didn't have much of an audience. :)

I have ones with a layer of rubber foam for practicing when I was doing shaolin kung fu. Also, if you have longer hair I found that if I didn't bunch up all my hair on top of my head the chain would rip out my hair!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    It's been years since I seriously trained on the nuchaku... I don't miss the bumps and bruises.. and YIKES @ hair.. never even thought of that one!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Soy_K wrote: »
    ^^ I appreciate these thoughts a lot. I feel especially now that I'm older and more rickety, I'm a little paranoid about injuring myself because it's soo easy to do. I don't push as hard as I used to when I was younger even though I know I could* - I'd always rather stay a little on the safe side because the whole point is being able to do it for a long time!

Agreed. I've seen and heard from a lot of folks who dropped out of martial arts, or switched to Thai Chi. Not that there is anything wrong with Thai Chi, mind you, but someday I really want to be the little old guy who still trains daily.

The other thing that I'm aware of is that in most things, I haven't yet peaked. Incremental increases in technique are still possible. It takes longer... but that's OK. I'm better at jump spin kicks now than I was at 18 though I'm a little slower (though getting faster as I lose weight). I know someday I will peak, but I want to stretch my abilities just as far as they will go in the meantime.
  • Soy_K
    Options
    I did my first hard class post injury. I had to go at about 80% and I couldn't do jumps without my leg feeling a little twingey so I opted to take it easy. I felt rusty and lame lol. However it's always hard to start again after not going/practicing. I'm glad I went and am ready to slowly start practice again without jumps for a little while.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Jiu jitsu last night proved I need to get stronger. Warm up included dragging your partner across the mat (SOOOO glad I didn't wear my new white gi!!!), carrying them across the mat, both of which I really struggled with (why is my best jiu jitsu friend bigger than me?) and then pretending you are an elephant seal (lie face down on the mat and drag yourself across with your arms only - I had to cheat slightly in order to move!)
    Technique and rolling was super fun though with my favourite partner! I escaped her mounted triangle (by calf cramp to her, but I fought long enough to get her to the point of cramp) and nearly got her into one. It is her favourite move so she is good at it and at avoiding it. She has also been a blue belt for as long as I have been doing Jits so is much better than me (and bigger and stronger) so I take these as big victories against her!
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    Dory_42 wrote: »
    Jiu jitsu last night proved I need to get stronger. Warm up included dragging your partner across the mat (SOOOO glad I didn't wear my new white gi!!!), carrying them across the mat, both of which I really struggled with (why is my best jiu jitsu friend bigger than me?) and then pretending you are an elephant seal (lie face down on the mat and drag yourself across with your arms only - I had to cheat slightly in order to move!)
    Technique and rolling was super fun though with my favourite partner! I escaped her mounted triangle (by calf cramp to her, but I fought long enough to get her to the point of cramp) and nearly got her into one. It is her favourite move so she is good at it and at avoiding it. She has also been a blue belt for as long as I have been doing Jits so is much better than me (and bigger and stronger) so I take these as big victories against her!

I always get stuck with a big person for the drag someone across the mat warm-up. We have gotten away from that warm-up over the last couple of years though - can't say I miss it all that much.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    Yesterday I ran 5k and then did some MMA sparring. Most rolling activity I have done since rib injury. I held up pretty well I think my rib is probably about 75%. I am not gonna push it to much and jump right back into my normal volume of Jiu Jitsu but I am encouraged.

Gonna noon kickboxing class, 6pm kickboxing class, and the 7pm kickboxing sparring. Full day planned assuming no work or home issue crops up.