DO NOT!!!!!! open MFP email that says you got $40

Options
anewstart22
anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
If you click on it just to look at the email, it sends your computer into lockup with a warning telling you to call this number to fix your computer. There is nothing wrong with your computer. Just go to your task manager and shut your computer down. Then restart your computer. Run your anti-malware programs and anti-virus programs to make sure your computer isn't infected.

Replies

• sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up, Anew. I have not received an email of this type and wouldn't open it anyway, but it's nice to know ahead of time that I shouldn't open it.

I got a phone message yesterday, stating that if I were using Windows on my computer, I'd better call this number and let them fix my computer that's been hacked into. Ridiculous! The vast majority of people who have desk tops are using Windows, so they must have a huge pool of people to pull from. Billie did that once and of course, the phone call was the hacker and ruined her computer and got access to all her banking and credit card info. It was a big mess to straighten out.

We'll be on the look-out for these bogus emails. Thanks again.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up anew! I haven't received it either but Dan has a pretty stringent malware/antivirus program so hopefully it won't even make it thru. Really appreciate your post!

Sheryl, I remember Billie talking about falling for that scam and the consequences she was dealing with.