I've Got an Idea to Boost Members

Options
Rachel0778
Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
A different group on here wrote a blog post about the benefits of joining their group and then had their members "like" the blog post so that it got traction and is now showing up under "popular blog posts" on the main page. This might be an easy way to signal boost so we get more new members in :)

Replies

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Sounds good to me. I'm not much of a blog writer thought but I can sure like it if I know about it. Don't go over to the blogs very often. :)
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great idea, Rachael.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Whoever does it should make sure to disguise the advertisement though... otherwise it just looks like a shameless ploy. :wink:
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    A different group on here wrote a blog post about the benefits of joining their group

Very interesting. Are you able to post a link, or otherwise point me to it?
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    A different group on here wrote a blog post about the benefits of joining their group

Very interesting. Are you able to post a link, or otherwise point me to it?

Absolutely, here it is: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/themedalist/view/join-us-in-building-healthy-habits-940071
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    Rachel thanks for thinking of this. Calvin keep us posted on your views.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea / strategy, thanks @Rachel0778 . The only challenge challenges I see are who's going to write the initial post and who's going to keep it going? A blog with only one entry kind of misses the point in my opinion.

I am sheepishly going to volunteer to contribute one post/month if we move forward with a blog. I am also going to point out we have 200 +/- members of GOAD and as of now, about 10 who routinely contribute. My point is that the challenge in my opinion is stimulating people to maintain an ongoing relationship with the group. Obviously, ultimately it's up to each person as to whether or not they are going to stay engaged.

That said, drawing more attention to us here and getting some new participation might be a good start that could snowball into something more sustainable. Seems like a good idea to me.
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I think the LTL posts here are the best anywhere. I think if there was a way to pick the best of the week and posting in a blog might be good.

Of course some of the humorous blogs are also great. For a smile, go read, "Death of the scale"
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,532 Member
    Options
    That is very written and does make me want to head over to the Challenge a Day group to check them out.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    @minimyzeme Kim - the blog is an individual's blog. I don't think there is a mechanism for a Group to have a blog. I wanted to clarify as it seemed you had the opposite impression.

Is there material on the old GoaD web page that might be cherry-picked for a quick blog post?

A natural topic is why a WL group is helpful. I might try to put something together. Busy with work, but with baseball having ended yesterday I'll have more time in the evenings.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    While GoaD could use new members, how about recapturing existing members who no longer post here. I fall into that category. I still lurk now and then and reply if I see a post where I have something to say, but I'm no longer a regular. For me it comes down to there not being any unique threads. GoaD used to be a place to help people struggling with weight loss and for lively discussions. Now when I look it is all daily threads, which can seem like a closed 'club' to new people. There are 10 threads showing on the first page as I write this - 4 LTLs, 2 Roll Calls, 2 Walking it Off, 1 What Day is It and this one we are on right now.

I know many Goadies like the LTL but it is not for me. I would rather see a descriptive subject line that draws me to the issue. I have started threads since we moved to MFP, but but don't any more. Unique threads are what GoaD needs, IMO. It is a good idea to recruit new members, but we need to give them a reason to keep coming back.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    @Philtex
    I hear ya! Some of us Old GoaDs mss the “good old days” of FUN. But like life, things change. I have been commenting less and lurking more.
    You make some valid points. With our previous site being WW connected there was the annual influx of Newbies in Jan. That in itself brought new blood and being identified as GUYS attracted males who were looking for a place for men.

I still remember they admonished that “we didn’t discuss sports bras” LOL.

My guess is that MFP members are predominately male so we GoaDs are not “unique” like we were on a predominantly female WW site.

But I still look forward to seeing this plan put into action and see if we get some new GoaDs!
  • minimyzeme
    Options
    Thanks @Calvin2008Brian ; you're right I didn't get that. Well I did, but I thought the writer was the spokesperson for the group. Taking a quick romp through the community, she certainly devotes a great deal of time to the effort. Honestly, it is way more than I could / would give but kudos to her for doing so.

@Philtex and @Jimb376mfp , I'm not criticizing you guys (much) but I've never understood talking about missing the good old days of GOAD and not working to recreate it (or its morph) here. Don't like the topics? Start a new one! I totally agree with you Phil that with a membership of 200+, GOAD should have plenty of participation, interaction, debate and fun here if our members were more active. I think there's room to have something for everyone. @wwgoadie , @countcurt and @glennowill , as administrators, is there a way you can efficiently do an outreach / invitation to our existing membership to encourage participation?

You all have brought up some legitimate challenges to overcome for any group, really. It's a tough nut to crack and it may never happen. However, GOAD was just the ticket for me on the day I joined WW a few years ago and I continue to appreciate the insight, support and suggestions I get here. That said, in the little bit of perusing I've done in the other communities, I agree with you Jim that GOADies (including our female members) are probably not as unique here as we were at the WW site for the reasons you stated.

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Jim - I post on the Fitness and Exercise board where a majority of the writers are women. I skip the sport bra posts - there actually are such posts!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    I started a new thread related to this topic. Please chime in there.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    Jim - I post on the Fitness and Exercise board where a majority of the writers are women. I skip the sport bra posts - there actually are such posts!

@Philtex
    I’ll have to check that out! Are there pics? j/k
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Long personal post coming.

I’m another who used to post a lot on the old GoaD, but who hasn’t posted much here. Actually, the drop in posting started before the switch to MFP.

Everyone has their own memories of what “the old GoaD” used to be like. For me, part of the attraction was that there seemed to be a healthy mix of people who were just starting out, just reaching a goal, and those who have been maintaining for a while. Another part of the attraction was that there seemed to be a healthy mix of people who were struggling, people who gave encouraging responses, and people who gave “mean“ – tough love responses. That mix really worked for me; I made goal within a year, lifetime promptly after, and I kept it off. I even worked for WW, because I loved the lifestyle I had.

During the first three years of my weight loss journey, I went through the death of my father, my sister, my baby son, and then finally my mother. I weathered the first three deaths and kept relatively on track. I felt like GoaD was a safe place to share those experiences and struggles, and at that time it was. I got many supportive and helpful responses.

And then my mother died. My mother’s death finally pushed me into a depression. I stopped posting for a while. I started eating too much. I stopped exercising as much. I knew I was making “unhealthy choices “, but I made them anyway. At some point I became willing to talk about it on GoaD, so I posted about the deaths and about the depression I was going through.

There have always been some on GoaD who prided themselves on being “mean“. In their minds, they are just giving “tough love” or “brutal honesty“. They deride “rah-rah“ responses or “kumbaya” posts.

I do know that there were a lot of wonderful posts in response to my post about my mother’s death, my depression and my struggles. But the only response I can still remember came from one of the Goadies who prides himself on being “mean”. Not having gone through depression himself, he decided to give a curt response and put the focus on what I should have done differently.

Perhaps he meant well. If he did, he failed miserably.

Ever since, it has been hard for me to post on GoaD. I actually quit GoaD for many years. When GoaD switched to MFP, Charlie reached out to me and asked me to join, so I did. Charlie was always one of the supportive Goadies. But when I got here, I saw too many of the “mean” Goadies, and too few of the supportive Goadies, like Charlie. And Charlie doesn’t come here anymore.

I honestly don’t know why I have kept coming here. I think it’s from a deep longing for the old vibrant but safe GoaD. But that’s not here anymore; at least not for me. I can’t imagine posting about personal struggles on here. I noticed that even Cindy, stalwart of GoaD, stopped coming here when she started having struggles with depression. GoaD doesn’t feel like a safe place, at least not to me. I don’t know what to do to change that.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    Gosh Gavin . Yes I miss Charlie too. Depression is an ugly thing for sure which doesn't deserve a mean response.
  • minimyzeme
    Options
    @GavinFlynn1 , I just want to say I'm sorry for your losses. Any one of those would be tough enough but all together would be monumental. I'm a "cumulative effects" kind of guy; it doesn't take much for me to imagine how tough and challenging your situation must have been (or be) for you.

• Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    @GavinFlynn1, I felt awful after reading your post but I'm still glad you shared it. People come and go and we usually don't know why. There's a time and place for tough love - and it certainly seems like your situation was not it - but I'm sure no one intended harm. For what it's worth, I'm always glad to see you post here and value your contributions and your friendship.