Shoulder injury and lifting

Options
Nancymcgregor
Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
Hi I injured my shoulder this time last year and It's much better now except the odd grumble after lifting and running. I want to start the stronglifts programme but I'm worried the big jumps in weight could be the kiss of doom for my shoulder and there's no way I can do overhead shoulder presses. So basically has anyone done a similar programme with a shoulder injury? How did you modify it to fit round your injury?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I do not do SL but do compounds and have had shoulder injuries. It really depends on what type of injury it is. Do things like front and lateral raises aggravate it? What about DB rows?
  • Nancymcgregor
    Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have Supraspinatus tendonitis and bursitis but I only really get grumbles when I lift over my head which isn't even that muscle. I've been lifting light doing lat raises to shoulder height and front raises to shoulder height but nothing above my head. DB rows do make it sore occasionally but I lift a lot heavier for my back.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Shoulder issues suck. I've been dealing with them for years. First off, be sure that you have tendonitis and not tendonosis. They are different and the majority of the medical community is still diagnosing osis as itis.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have calcific tendonitis affecting the supraspinatus. I've been in tremendous pain but when I was feeling better for a few months I did 5x5's of the following exercises:

Split squats off the bench with dumb bells
    Barbell or dumb bell rows
    Barbell dead lifts ( this was my best lift, perhaps because the arms stay stiff)
    Forward raises and side raises with bands (I'm too weak to use weights in this area)

I added about 10 reps of curls, tricep extensions and calf raises at the end because I could! These isolation exercises feel pretty good so I do them.

Notice I missed chest presses. This is only because I can't even make my arms come forward. They will be included after my surgery.

I am actually going to have surgery in two weeks. I can dead lift more than my body weight right now and do I can do rows and raises, but I can't do chest presses or barbell squats because the arm doesn't move that way. My surgeon has said that I can never do overhead presses. (Other professionals disagree, so we'll see).

I hope to do strong lifts after my surgery. The only adaptation I may have to make is dumb bell raises instead of overhead presses.

I guess my suggestion is do what you can. I have been advised to build as much strength as I can prior to surgery.:flowerforyou: