Diasitis Recti

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
So, my abdominal walls are stretched apart and separated, thank you babies!
I'm about to embark on an 18 week program to help bring those together, with the help of a brace. Extreme weight gain, poor body mechanics, and incorrect workouts can also cause this. I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue and have you done anything to correct it or heal it? I'm going to be doing the Tuppler Technique. If this doesn't work, the next step is surgery, which I'd love nothing more than to avoid that all together! If I ever figure out how to start my own blog, I'll add this journey to it (along with all of my amazing recipes!)

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I did not have this issue with any of my pregnancies, but it's very common, and from what I understand the surgery is basically a tummy tuck.

As far as additional things to correct it - comfrey oil (increases cellular replication), and maybe serrapeptase (if scar tissue is hindering healing).

If you get plenty of protein I would expect the exercises to do their job in terms of muscle building, if you are not getting plenty of protein then maybe an amino acid supplement to make sure you have sufficient raw materials for muscle repair/rebuild.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I ended up with pelvic organ prolapse, which is related (in the compromised muscle wall/childbirth aspects, only, maybe), but different. Mine was due to tearing during delivery, bad healing, staying obese WAY WAY too long - then losing relatively quickly, combined with genetic and possibly other environmental factors.

I completely hear you on wanting to avoid surgery. That's my entire goal at this point...

Sending you the best hugs, prayers, and positive thoughts.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    I did not have this issue with any of my pregnancies, but it's very common, and from what I understand the surgery is basically a tummy tuck.

As far as additional things to correct it - comfrey oil (increases cellular replication), and maybe serrapeptase (if scar tissue is hindering healing).

If you get plenty of protein I would expect the exercises to do their job in terms of muscle building, if you are not getting plenty of protein then maybe an amino acid supplement to make sure you have sufficient raw materials for muscle repair/rebuild.

Thanks for the info! I'll speak with my doctor about it when I visit with him!
  • EryOaker
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I ended up with pelvic organ prolapse, which is related (in the compromised muscle wall/childbirth aspects, only, maybe), but different. Mine was due to tearing during delivery, bad healing, staying obese WAY WAY too long - then losing relatively quickly, combined with genetic and possibly other environmental factors.

I completely hear you on wanting to avoid surgery. That's my entire goal at this point...

Oh you poor thing! My mom had that too! She actually had her intestines herniated through her vaginal wall too! But those events were decades apart. She's had lots of surgery. When I look at her belly, I can see that she has DR too, but she likely doesn't know it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Oh you poor thing! My mom had that too! She actually had her intestines herniated through her vaginal wall too! But those events were decades apart. She's had lots of surgery. When I look at her belly, I can see that she has DR too, but she likely doesn't know it.

@CRZYFTM I'm lucky. I'm young, relatively healthy otherwise, and making due with a pessary. Mine is uterine, vaginal, and rectal - which of the three, the rectal is the hardest part. I already have bathroom issues due to having had my gallbladder out when my kiddo was 7 weeks old, but the combo of prolapse/pessary/diarrhea/constipation is just ... not fun. But it's so much less than what others have, so I'm thankful for that. I lost 50 pounds in 3-6 months when my ex and I split (FINALLY), and that's around the time it all started or presented... I've since had some yo-yo-ing going on with my weight, and I'm back to a slightly heavier weight than I'm willing to accept, but other complicating factors are preventing significant changes ATM...but for whatever reason, it seems worse NOW...than when it first presented... Ah, the joys...
  • EryOaker
    Options
    I had someone PM me because they didn't know what DR was. So here is a visual for those who don't know.
    tuodotuqnret.jpg
  • SaleenGirl305
    SaleenGirl305 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    No advice since I've never heard of this before. But I wonder if I have it too? How do you know if your abdominal walls are stretched?
  • EryOaker
    Options
    No advice since I've never heard of this before. But I wonder if I have it too? How do you know if your abdominal walls are stretched?

https://diastasisrehab.com/what-is-diastasis-recti
    Take a look at this website, there are lots of videos.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Wow. That is a TON of information! I carried my daughter completely out front - from behind, most people couldn't even tell I was pregnant - until I turned sideways and practically eclipsed the son. I wonder if that, and the stupid nurse telling me improper pushing technique (which contributed to the prolapse) puts me more at risk for something like this...

The "how to check for it" stuff was super sciencey for my tired brain. I'll have to look at it later! Thank you so much.
  • SaleenGirl305
    SaleenGirl305 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'm going to start doing some of those exercises.