Exogenous Ketone products?

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
I have an acquaintance that has latched on to me now that they've learned I follow Keto. They sell Pruvit: exogenous ketone products. She keeps telling me I NEEEEEEED these products in my life.
What are your thoughts on these? Have you tried them? Did they have any impact, pos or neg, on your results/experience/journey/ketosis status? I'm just curious. I likely won't buy into this stuff.... because why pay for something my body manufactures naturally?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I did some reading on this some time ago. It sounded like a solution looking for a problem. :) I am not into MLM sales efforts. I think they are for people that want to keep eating heavy carb WOE's. Like you I do not see the point of buying these personally. I am sure there are valid reasons out there but I just do not know them.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My understanding of them is they might be beneficial to those who need to be deep in ketosis on an ongoing basis for medical reasons. Epilepsy, cancer, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's all come to mind as possibilities.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I agree there is most likely a good medical application for them but beyond that I can't imagine any useful purpose. Having higher ketones doesn't affect weight loss, so the only other potential benefit would be medical and most likely that would be for a neurological problem.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have thought about getting them just to make it easier to hit my ratios since I'm doing keto for migraines. So far a 2:1 ratio is working, and that's relatively easy to achieve with pretty normal food. However, if I had to bump it up to 3:1 or 4:1 to get results, that would be very limiting and an EK product would make it easier to achieve those ratios.

However, for anyone doing keto for weight loss, it's not necessary to hit a particular ratio, just to keep carbs low and protein moderate. So, I don't see where it's at all helpful for that scenario. For weight loss you want to keep fat moderate so that you are metabolizing your own body fat.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Because I had those 4 or 5 "miracle months" initially with MTKD and my Dystonia, I've not given up yet and am considering a trial with exogenous ketones. Keeping carbs low isn't difficult. Keeping protein low wasn't difficult. Keeping both low 24/7/365 was a drag.

I don't post about it much since so few have it and it is not too meaningful but will add this: The involuntary muscle contraction due to having Cervical Dystonia aka Spasmodic Torticollis are obvious to, certainly myself, but also to others. Every real life friend/family member could readily see the obvious initial improvement when I switched to a MTKD as a trial. And then the effectiveness stopped. :/

The point: Though short lived, I've personally experienced what to me is undisputed positive medical effects of ketones for neurological purposes. It may sound odd but sometimes it is easier to just live with this *kitten* than to wax and wane. I did that for a couple of years getting massive BotoxA injections in my left SCM and right splenius capitus to paralyze them. Maybe in the new year...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I agree there is most likely a good medical application for them but beyond that I can't imagine any useful purpose. Having higher ketones doesn't affect weight loss, so the only other potential benefit would be medical and most likely that would be for a neurological problem.

Agree.
    Medical keto= You may find benefit.
    Weightloss or maintenance= waste of money.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have NAFLD, so I'm doing this medically. Maybe I should look into the effect of these on NAFLD?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    I have NAFLD, so I'm doing this medically. Maybe I should look into the effect of these on NAFLD?

Worth a look. Though the effect of a ketogenic diet on NAFLD has more to do with the change in the glucose/insulin equation than just ketones in my understanding. If I am understanding correctly.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »

If you find out anything useful let us all know. As far as I’m aware the higher ketones are only beneficial in brain related issues.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15883160

Ketone bodies stimulate chaperone-mediated autophagy.

nature.com/nm/journal/v21/n3/full/nm.3804.html

The ketone metabolite β-hydroxybutyrate blocks NLRP3 inflammasome–mediated inflammatory disease

jcs.biologists.org/content/124/4/495

CELL SCIENCE AT A GLANCE
    Chaperone-mediated autophagy at a glance

board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=8758

Ketosis: Cleans the cells?

Continue the Goggle search of - ketone and chaperone mediated autophagy - if one has a few thousand hours of reading time.

I sank my teeth into this cell cleaning feature nearly three years ago. By getting junk protein fragments out of our cells are key to preventing a premature death. It seems to have arrested the development of my early stage cataracts over the past three years.

This is a major source of hope that I have of living to be 110 and walking and talking the entire way. In my case I see high Carbs leading to a premature death. I see Ketones giving me a great chance of living a full and happy life span. I buy into the 120 year age limit mentioned in ancient Jewish writings which is also more or less the age of the oldest living people TODAY.

Until three years ago I was clueless to the fact that Ketones really are the fountain of Life.

Just the few links above will help one to learn enough to know if they want to get involved in the benefits of CMA.

As some of you know three years ago I gave up all weight loss goals and swore I would never count calories/measure food or exercise to lose weight.

My only goal has been to reverse the rate of my death so I can live to be 110+ with a high level of mental and physical abilities. For three years my weight has declined automatically and I am stable just under 200 pounds for the first time in 25 years and all my health markers have improved plus I can walk as far as I wish now.

I do not think it is all just LCHF or all about ketones but the entire package of this WOE that is life extending.
  • hjackson1226
    hjackson1226 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use them for neurological reasons as well as follow a low carb diet...I like peanuts and diet mtn dew too much to go full blown keto. This helps me find a balance. Alzheimer's is also rampant in my family. If I can use the ketones in addition to MCT oil/Coconut oil in my daily routine in hopes of deterring the inevitable, I am all for it (but that is just personal preference).

There is a lot of argument both ways on the use of exogenous ketones. Most folks who are already living a ketogenic lifestyle for non-medical reasons see no point to adding the product. Others use it in addition to. At the end of the day it is a matter of preference.