New to this lifestyle...

Hi. I have had a restriction of 1200 mg imposed upon me. Yesterday was the first day of ever tracking sodium in my life. And, because I was so flummoxed as to what I could eat (other restrictions have been put in place too) I found myself missing more than 500 calories yesterday. I could stand to lose a few pounds, so one or two days of being under isn't going to do me a lot of harm. However, as I sit here...contemplating the foods in my fridge, all I want to do is cry.

Some of my favorite things have been taken away - spinach, strawberries, melon, carrots, all cheese except cottage, and the list goes on. I'm really just posting because I'm happy to see someone with whom I can commiserate.

I shall trudge forward.

Replies

• northcoastbeauty
    northcoastbeauty Posts: 34 Member
    My cottage cheese, Breakstone, is high in sodium,
  • northcoastbeauty
    northcoastbeauty Posts: 34 Member
    Check out natural cheeses - not ones presliced nor in the deli counter
  • michellenoel1
    michellenoel1 Posts: 12 Member
    Well rats I just wrote a long post and then deleted it. I was saying that I'm on a self-imposed limit of 1200 mg a day myself. I'm not sure why you can't eat some of the foods you mentioned. I just looked up spinach and it has 28 mg of sodium in one cup. That can easily be worked into your day as part of a meal. If you primarily eat whole foods you should have no problem being able to enjoy the things you mentioned. Just treat the sodium like you do calories. I even had some Ruffles simply salt potato chips yesterday because I am a salt Junkie. There were 160 mg in one serving and I ate that and was satisfied. Because I eat mostly Whole Foods some days I have quite a bit of sodium left at the end of the day.