Why do you belong to GoaD?

Options
Calvin2008Brian
Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
I'll take the best responses and spin them into a blog post, as discussed here.

Give me your best three (or so) reasons why you belong to GoaD, or, less specifically, why you find it useful to be in any weight loss group.

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Great idea!

1) I like having a place to check in daily. It keeps me mindful
    2) I like having a group where I can voice my frustrations and ask questions. You were all extremely helpful even about non-weight loss topics like the home buying process.
    3) It's nice to have a space where no one is doing fad diets or acting like 1200 calories is an appropriate amount for a grown human and then wondering why they're starving all the time.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    My reasons have changed over the years. Pre WW I doing Atkins and the on line groups there. I was mostly having fun on a BB called the Playground.

When I joined WW 2013 I explored site and found GoaD BB. I was a typical Newbie and posted a “Can’t Eat All myPoints Thread”. I suppose that is how I met Shendler?

My reasons then were:
    1. Ask questions and learn
    2. Accountability by posting my weekly WI results.
    3. Enjoyed the back and forth “banter” and learned how to”behave” like an adult on line. I was banned once from Atkins for an inappropriate post!

Fast forward about four years and my reasons are:
    1. Daily reminder that there is No Finish Line.
    2. Accountability (I used to post my weekly WI results. Now I post on the Challenge board in the 2017 52 pounds in 52 weeks challenge.
    3. Enjoy the LTL, What Day is It? Random threads
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    I suppose habit of having enjoyable interactions with fellow goadies.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,086 Member
    Options
    Although TOL is here, and always has my back, I find checking in on Roll Call, reading the What Day Is It?, and, of course LTL, help me maintain the course. Like many. I've been struggling, trying to lose, but I know that without GoaD and my meetings, I'd be skyrocketing back to where I was.
    I agree, there aren't too many "random" threads any more. Perhaps we all could share random, wieght loss, or other thoughts more often.
    I must state ckearly that this board is one of my main "anchors", and, when I had my surgery, the amount of support was heart warming (pun intended). Thanks to all of you.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    @Al_Howard , I've been wondering how you're doing. I hope you're getting on well!

As for why I'm here, I might fit the classic guy GOADie who wandered in on Day 1 of WW, right after I signed up online. I had been to my first meeting. I was relieved there were actually one or two other guys there. Reading many of the archive posts introduced me to the then-cast of characters and tone of the board. After a quick review of the other boards, GOAD was the only one that appealed to me. It wasn't just the name; it was the topics covered and the straight answers given. The whole 'there are women GOADies too' thing made sense to me also.

Especially in the first year or so, I had a lot of questions. GOAD was still pretty active then and it was almost like having a 24-7 (maybe 24-5) reference desk. I came in at the tail end of the 'old GOAD'; it still had a decent mix of newbies and veterans. My meetings were great (still are, with a great leader) but that was once a week and GOAD was there whenever I needed it.

I had zero interest in whoever the celebrity was that WW was featuring at the time. My heroes quickly became the GOADies who had met their goals and maintained for several years. Their experiences and guidance was a huge help to me. Those were the people that had walked the walk, done the deed and lived to tell about it. But I learned from most everyone on the spectrum, regardless of their time in-program. Though some members had a terse delivery, I quickly looked passed that and glommed on to their insight. Between the active threads and the archives, I learned how to approach weight loss for the long-term.

Why am I still here? Like many others who've come before me, I often think 'oh, I've got this. I can walk away from meetings and GOAD and do it on my own.' However, I have learned so much from those who've been there and done that, and then come back with more to lose. Weight loss is not my life, but it's enhanced my life. I made a point not to obsess on it in the losing phase. My goal was always to have a better, healthier life, not to reach a number on the scale. GOAD is a place for me to check in and set my compass for the day, actively participate with this community and provides an anchor of sorts for the weight loss aspect of my life. I don't hang out here because I have other interests that give me far more satisfaction. However, this is a critical part of my program and I've acquired enough experience to throw my $0.02 in the ring from time to time with both newbies and veterans.

I believe I could live without GOAD if I had to, but fortunately I don't have to.
  • RedSassyPants
    RedSassyPants Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    GOAD is my GO TO! It has been for years. They are the comfort food I can still enjoy without any of the guilt. When i need a kick in the pants, I know GOAD will be there.
    When I need someone to keep me from over thinking something, I know the GOADies will help me. This group accepted me from the beginning (as long as I didn't talk about PMS or Sports Bras) and defended me when others wanted to know WHY there were females in GOAD.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    At this point, it's a reminder. I just got back from Pickleball for lunch before yoga.

I was going to be a reasonably young guy, if alive at all, sitting in a wheelchair, drooling in my shirt.

This is better.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    1) I do like having a place to check in daily that is with people following a similar approach to this journey and are supportive. Today I heard about a 3 day apple fast to jump start weight loss. That concept wouldn't last long here.
    2) The accountability part isn't what it used to be but it is still there. You can still expect some pushback if you start talking nonsense about how it is going.
    3) I have been coming here for like 8 years, so part of it is habit, but part of it is enjoying the input, especially those who have been here for a while and seeing how their journey is progressing.
    4) I don't post as much as I used to, so I am part of the problem. But I do generally read the LTL thread. Sometimes I don't have anything to add to what is already been said by the time I read it. But I do value it. I haven't been in a healthy weight mgmt zone due to some health issues, but it keeps me from straying to much.

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,006 Member
    Options
    Reason 1. Accountability and support is one reason I am a member of GoaD. I was not a member of a WW meeting group. My work and time commitments for a weekly meeting didn't fit in where I could commit to a weekly same day schedule. So when I found Goad I was able to fit right in and

Reason 2. I enjoyed being associating with people that had lost weight and those who were maintaining all whom had a lot to contribute.

Reason 3. It was motivating to be a part of a group that people were willing to contribute to all sorts of post with worthwhile ideas for those of us that needed the support and feedback with questions we had.

I find being a member of a weight loss group is very beneficial to me as a motivation factor and for moral support and emotional support. Most everyone in a loss weight group has either lost weight, maintained weight after losing weight or in the loss mode group. I also find that being in a weight loss group gives me ideas and motivation in other areas of my life.

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Why am I here?

1 - Like minded individuals. Some are at goal for years, and I find their insight extremely valuable.
    2 - Self learning. Thinking about, reading, and responding to the LtL questions has taught me a lot about who I am, what I am doing with WL, how I'm succeeding, and where I still need to improve.
    3 - I get to celebrate my journey with people who get it... when weigh in comes, good/bad/other - they are there to share the moment.
  • johnlreeb
    johnlreeb Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    1. Interaction with fat guys.
    2. Interaction with not so fat guys.
    3. Interaction with guys who possess a sense of humor.
  • Rachel0778
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    3. Enjoyed the back and forth “banter” and learned how to”behave” like an adult on line. I was banned once from Atkins for an inappropriate post!

I've got to ask, do you remember what the post was? LOL
  • Jimb376mfp
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »

@Rachel0778
    It was a joke that I copied from somewhere. I forget the joke but remember the punchline was a double entendre that was too “blue” for some.

The Board Administrators would give warning but after a few they would ban you from posting. I learned not everyone has the same sense of humor as me.

• Rachel0778
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »

@Rachel0778
    It was a joke that I copied from somewhere. I forget the joke but remember the punchline was a double entendre that was too “blue” for some.

The Board Administrators would give warning but after a few they would ban you from posting. I learned not everyone has the same sense of humor as me.

That doesn't even sound that bad all things considered! I don't think you'll ever be kicked out of GOAD for posting jokes LOL
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I re-joined WW in November of 2002 and immediately started posting to a board on the WW site. I quickly realized that it was not going to be the right place for me! I didn't join WW to listen to women make excuses about WHY they couldn't lose weight. So I started looking for another board and found Guys On a Diet. I lurked there for several days because I figured that the "guys" wouldn't want a female posting to their board. Then I noticed that there were several women posting to the board. My first post was on January 22, 2003 (some things you never forget!) and my first question was, "Is it okay for another female to join this board?" I was warmly welcomed, but given the RULES for posting there. There were two main rules -- no mention of sports bras and no mention of TOM unless we were talking about a man's name.

I always said that women have been on some kind of diet most of their lives because it's "expected of them". Men, on the other hand, wait until THEY decide it's time to do something about their weight. And once they decide they're more likely to stick with it and be successful.

I posted there religiously until WW, in their infinite wisdom, decided to do away with the message boards.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Options
    @beachwoman2006
    I was warmly welcomed, but given the RULES for posting there. There were two main rules -- no mention of sports bras and no mention of TOM unless we were talking about a man's name.

LOL!

I remember rule #1 being part of the official GOAD opening paragraph. I knewI would like the Group.

Good to have you back on the board!

Jim