Newbie to keto

Options
BeaUtiful_1413
BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
Not showing my hole message so shortening it. But first off hi. I'm new to keto and would love to learn more about it, recipes, where my micros should be at for keto dieting. What to do and not to do because I don't know where to start.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I recommend using this macro calculator.
    https://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/

You definitely should know that your body will need sodium on keto. In part because your new way of eating naturally has less sodium since it will not include all of the salty packaged foods you used to eat but mostly because keto lowers your body’s insulin levels and that makes you retain less sodium and fluids. Also keto has a diuretic effect further creating some sodium loss, at least in the beginning until you stop wasting so many ketones.
    So you will need to get a minimum of 3000-5000mg a day, EVERY DAY, of sodium to REPLACE what you lose. Some people need as much 7000-10000mg a day. The more fluids you take in the more you need. This is also true of sweating a lot or anything else that may make you lose extra fluids.
    Low sodium causes the symptoms that people commonly refer to as “keto flu”. Keep the sodium up and you won’t have issue with it.

Another big point is that when you get your macros figured out and start on your keto plan, you don’t need to stress about hitting those numbers exactly. Just keep your carbs below your target, reach your protein goal and if you’re not feeling extra hungry there’s no reason to just eat fat on purpose just for the sake of reaching the fat target. Also, if you are hungry and you’ve hit your targets it’s ok to eat more. It’s important to listen to real hunger signals. But figuring out if they’re real can be tricky. At least for the first 2 weeks don’t stress it if you can’t stick to the calories you get. While you’re adapting your body won’t be able to use fat for fuel super well and you may feel hungry more than the calorie goal allows. Go ahead and eat, but don’t go over carbs or fat much if at all. Make the extra food meat because hunger can also simply be a nutrient need and eating fat bombs and such isn’t going to help you as far as nutrients go. If you’re going to eat over calories, go with meat for its lack of carbs and nutrient content.

You may have very little appetite and be concerned about not eating enough. In my experience hunger returns once your bodyfat levels get a bit lower. But not as low as you might like... then it becomes more difficult to eat at a calorie deficit. In the beginning, assuming you have plenty of bodyfat to lose, you don’t have to worry much about not eating enough as long as you’re following hunger signals and prioritizing meat to make sure you get at least a maintenance level of protein. Hunger will come back. When it does, respect it. I believe forcing low calories by ignoring genuine hunger is where the problems come from.

So super basic

1) limit carbs.
    2) eat enough protein from whole food sources (not bars or shakes)
    3) get enough sodium daily
    4) don’t force feed yourself fat
    5) eat only when hungry and only til satisfied
    6) just get started and tweek as you go
  • Ketomilly1
    Ketomilly1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey BeaUtiful... I am now on Keto for 10 days. I also do intermittent fasting with it. I find food prepping has helped. My calorie count is around 1300 calories. My macros are fat at 70% carbs 10% and protein 20%. I am feeling energized. I really believe we need to listen to our bodies. We all are different. Recommendations I have seen are fat 60 -80/ carb 5 to 10/ protein 15-30. There is a cute couple that has a daily menu that you can purchase. They figure out all the macros and show you how to adjust for your target calories... Keto connection is there site. They also do YouTube. They have a calculator on their site to help with determining your macros and calories. Hope this helps.
  • KarblessKreature
    KarblessKreature Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Along with what was said above, if your looking to lose weight then cut the fat out first and let your body use it own fat until you reach your goal weight or better yet look. Use the mirror not the scale. I found eating enough fat at first was challenging because were basically brainwashed to feat the fat. Don’t be afraid of fat. I use the 5% carbs 15-20% protein and 75-80% fat Check out ketoconnect on YouTube great info and recipes. I also like Jason Whitrock also.
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much this helps a lot :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Not showing my hole message so shortening it. But first off hi. I'm new to keto and would love to learn more about it, recipes, where my micros should be at for keto dieting. What to do and not to do because I don't know where to start.

This was posted by a keto pal. I think it may be one of the best most inclusive pieces of info I've seen in a long time. Enjoy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq