Weekly Post - 16.10. - 22.10.2017

Options
flumi_f
flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
Hey sleepy heads ;). Already up and at em in Europe.

I had a great week of at home vacation. Wasn't really at home much.... Lots of hiking, SUPing and walking in beautiful fall weather. Here just a taste of yesterday...

6ic50ujdsy0f.jpg

Still fasting, not always successfully, but even if I 'fail', they are low days. I have increased my activity level again and that together with more successful fasting are my goals for the rest of the year. Maintainance isn't free for me yet...

Have a great week!

Replies

• Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,964 Member
    Options
    Hi @flumi_f!

Beautiful picture. Thanks for getting us started and off to a great week!

Busy day here at work, so a quick post for now. Will come later and check in on you all.

Have a good one! :)
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hi friends! I’ve been away for a while, sort of floundering, TBH. Even fasting has proven to be a challenge. Dance classes are on hold for a variety of reasons and, at the urging of Mama, I’ve been lifting weights. Pretty consistent, really. The downside is that I believe it’s making me really hungry first thing in the morning. And for me, if I can’t get past 10:30-11 hunger-wise, a fast isn’t happening. I’m loving the effect lifting weights has on my body. I’m just not thrilled with my ability to fast. So today and Thursday, I will attempt to fast. We now have 2 kittens. Depending on how I feel around 10:30, I may have to reduce that number to one :p . Jk...I would never eat a kitten. Too much fur...gets in the teeth. At any rate, those are my goals this week. That and logging (one of my least favorite things to do). But since I feel like I’m on the heavier side of my normal range, it’s what I need to do. The bottom line is that weight loss/maintenance is not an area where I can be complacent. It is something I always have, and always will, at the forefront of my life. Cheers everyone!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hey guys. Checking in. Doing some 5:2 for a while but my routine's a little different now. Doing both fasting days sequentially (empty the glycogen, and longer time for autophagy) and zero calories. Just finished this week's 2-day fast and did the same the previous week. It went well.

My current thinking is, to divide the week into sections or "phases". I eat more in the early week, to support weightlifting. Then taper down the food as the week goes on into a cardio day, and then the fasting at the end.

That's rather than how I used to do it, with the fasting days in between hard exercise days. I think my new plan should be better for growth. With longer times where I'm "saturated" with calories/protein during recovery. ? Anyways, it's like this, a 7 or 8-day cycle:

day:
    1. weights
    2. rest
    3. rest
    4. weights
    5. rest
    6. HIIT cardio
    7. fast
    8. fast (on 5:2) or not (skip to Day 1) in maintenance

We'll see how it goes. I'm pretty stoked.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning all!
    Hope everybody is well. Nice to see some veterans checking in this week. :)
    Work has been busy, which is good because it makes the day fly by and it made Light Day go by really fast yesterday. No complaints there! LOL
    I made the vegan lentil soup for Light Day dinner this week, that I had shared a while back in the recipe threads and it came out really nice. I switched it up and added a small container of tomato sauce and a fresh diced tomato and that made all the difference. Also cooked it for a little longer which made it more flavorful. Definitely like it much better that way. It is very low in calorie and it really doesn't taste it.
    I am still rocking the treadmill, but am interested in getting in to weights as well. I know muscle burns more than fat! Oh boy these poor arms of mine, they are flapping in the breeze from the loose skin from weight loss. :blush:
    Not much else new here. I will probably hop on the scale next on Thursday to see where things are, otherwise I am a Friday morning weigh in person!
    Hope everybody is doing well. I will check back again later. Have a nice one.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Hey, glad to see some "veterans" as well. I felt like us newbies were doing most of the talking ;)

Week 3 of 5:2 for me. I'm still doing Tues/Thurs but thinking of switching to Mon/Thurs to make Thursdays less painful. I just finished up a cup of instant miso soup (25 cals) in an attempt to delay lunch a little bit. Unfortunately I am still eating Progresso soups. The supermarket where I shop had an incident* on Sunday that required shutting down the produce, deli, and bakery sections, so I couldn't buy what I needed to make stuff in the crock pot. I shop online with them and pick up, since my only chance to grocery shop is with my two kids. Otherwise I would have shopped elsewhere.

(*Regarding the incident, see here: http://www.live5news.com/story/36601167/bond-set-for-contractor-accused-of-contaminating-produce-at-w-ashley-harris-teeter)

Nothing else new. I planned to run last night, but it rained. Normally I wouldn't mind running in the rain, but it was windy and thundering. I didn't really feel like being struck by lightning (not that I'm fast enough to attract lightning), so I stayed in. I plan on running tonight instead, though. We're having a "cold snap" (high temperature of around 70F), so it should be nice running weather for a change.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Just bumping this bc I posted on last week's post in response to someone, and now it's higher up in the group - didn't want to confuse anyone!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Omg, that ‘incident’! Wow. Hi all, just checking in. I had orientation on my new job yesterday and really start there today, my fast (1) day. I wanted to do a fail safe fast day on Sunday but my husband neglected to let me know the family was gathering for his mother’s birthday. I ate sanely, but definitely not a fast day - lol.

So soup and coleslaw and broccoli is on the major portion of my menu - and it will be a lunch time meal. I’ll take 1 oz of my homemade beef jerky in case I get really hungry at work, Today I work 2pm to 8pm.

This is the first time I’ll be trying a fast day with eating earlier- not sure how it will go. I always ate my 500 calorie meal for dinner up til now.

I can’t say, into week 3, that I enjoy my fast days. I don’t much like them. But it is so much better for me than 24/7 calorie counting/restriction was. Now I just have to get through two grumbly days and the other days are fine, normal, and maybe even great and can include a piece of my MiL birthday cake without having to skip most of a meal to do so. It is early, I know, but I think this is going to work for me in the long term.

Have a wonderful week y’all!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Glad to see everyone perking along. Had a normal day today but tried to go light on breakfast today since we were invited for a BBQ tonight to watch Dodgers and Cubs play. Hoping to eat sanely tonight with the calories leff.

Congratulations @ryenday on the new job. Hope it all works out well.

Have a great day all!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am just checking in. I am 4 weeks after my pacemaker implant and had my first tune up on Monday all was looking good and I am now allowed to get back to light weights. And gentle routines. I paced at 20% in the top chamber and less than 1% in the bottom.
    Fasted yesterday and it went well with only a few almonds to get me through the day then a single skillet tomatoes and kale bake in the evening.
  • ryenday
    Options
    So I just finished week 2. 2 weeks, 2 pounds lost. So that makes me happy. I think that eating earlier in the day on my fast day, like I did yesterday, was easier overall. Either that or I’m just getting used to a couple of fast days a week. That would be very nice!

The last two weeks were way off my usual schedule, so I did not get swimming in except one time. I will start up with regular swimming (3 to 4 times a week) again today so that should be very good.

I know I will have to start strength training soon. But I have been warned (given some physical disabilities I have) that I should not be doing much of anything without constant supervision for a good long time. Unfortunately I cannot currently afford a physical trainer session, so that is still back burner.

My pool is literally one door away from where I’m working, so getting in swims should be an easy thing to do on my new schedule.

@jknight001 so far so good on the new job! Thanks!

@RBXChas I hope the supermarket problem has been sorted out for you and that you are fast week is going well!

@Meghan509 Your lentil soup sounds wonderful. I have not had a chance to cook up any soups unfortunately. I’m still using canned soups. That will change sometime in the near future.

So all is going well here, and I wish everyone a very happy Wednesday!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi everybody!

Been a crazy week at work, but a little busy is okay by me. I was given some new responsibilities, which I am excited about which in turn has made me a little busier! :) Can't complain as it does make the work week go by faster!

@RBXChas wow! That is quite the incident indeed!? There are some crazies out there. LOL Sorry you couldn't do all of your grocery shopping. I can imagine it is tough with two little ones in tow.
    I have to say I do like my two light days on Mondays and Thursdays. Mondays are nice after the weekend and Thursdays, right before the weekend. Two days in between is good. I don't dread them when they come up.

@ryenday I think you will find that your light days do get easier as you get more under your belt. Not sure if you are a coffee drinker at all, but the other day in the afternoon when I typically get a little hungry sometimes - I made myself a coffee and it really helped with my empty feeling. Got all the way through to dinner forgetting that I was ever a little hungry! CONGRATS on your loss! And the new job - well done!

Hope your week is going well @jknight001 and you are feeling good @Marmitegeoff - that kale bake sounds yummy!

Regular day today. Been enjoying some fresh avocado on my turkey sandwiches this week - who knew that adding that could be so tasty? The little things. LOL

Have a good one and see you all soon!
  • RBXChas
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hey all! So yesterday was a tougher fast day, at least for a bit. I have found so far that the middle of the day is toughest. Once I leave work to go get my kids from school and go home, then I'm busy with them, it's easier. I ate a pimento cheese sandwich (yum!) while they ate dinner, and I was fine. I even ran last night and had no issues with its being a fasting day.

But I suspect that tomorrow will be tougher. I was planning on getting a big salad from Moe's, but I forgot that my older son has a half day (and is off on Friday) for parent-teacher conferences, and I scheduled our conference first thing tomorrow afternoon (so that we don't have to go on Friday). Right afterwards we have to go get my younger son from his school. Thus that kind of kills my ability to have that big salad. I considered just moving my second fast day to Friday, so I may do that. I haven't really decided. I feel like doing a fast day when I'm home for most of the day will be hard. I am tempted to plan some things out of the house with my son so that I will be distracted.

Next week I'm pretty confident I'll be switching to Mon/Thurs. @Meghan509 I like that thinking about a fast right after the weekend and then another one on Thursday. Like @ryenday, I am surprised at how much better my non-fasting days are. I actually have a hard time meeting my calorie goals, which is fine because I still have a lot to lose.

Today is a regular day, just had my Greek yogurt and protein bar because I was eating while doing work. Not sure what to do for dinner, but I have some stuff to make tacos B)

Edited for typos and clarity
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

A little less crazy today which is good. My feet are hurting from walking around in shoes (heels) that were not broken in too well. Ouch my poor feet. Thank God for flats!

@RBXChas I think you will like the two day gap in between your Light Days. Of course fitting in it where you can... I understand your schedule can get crazy when you have young kiddies. ;) Yes! I notice too that I have less hunger on non Light Days too. I agree that all around this WOE is helpful!

Last night we had more leftovers from our Slow Cooker taco pasta meal. OMG how I miss pasta! So nice to find a way to work it in and enjoy it! Yes, it is on the smaller side, portion wise since it makes eight servings but it is filling since there is ground turkey and macaroni in it. Yum... Below is a link to the recipe. Since I love to share. LOL Note that I subbed ground turkey for ground beef and I added some chopped jalepeno and a little chipotle pepper to add a little more heat. I made it with a medium sized macaroni vs. a shell. So good! According to my MFP comes in around 330 calories, so a non Light Day meal. :)

https://kristineskitchenblog.com/easy-slow-cooker-taco-pasta/

Not much new around here. Light Day today. Greek Salad for lunch and Lentil Soup for dinner. Gym after work. Same drill different day! Big cup of water sitting here waiting for me to dive in and start drinking!

Hope everybody has a good day. I will check back a little later!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Hi All! On my fast day today. Been a rough week (didn't get the job I applied for and my husband didn't get the job he applied for) so I am putting my head down, weathering the storm and fasting anyway. :persevere:

I also do M/Th fast days. I find if my fast days are too close together I get a bit crazy and want to eat everything that is not nailed down.

@Meghan509 - please do share your recipes! Always looking for good recipes. Do you think on the Taco Pasta I could cut the cheese down by 3/4 or 1/2 and it would still be OK?

@ryenday - Congrats on your loss! So excited for you! Wonder if your doctor or people in your neighborhood would know someone who could donate or do a training session for low cost. Seems to me that whatever your disabilities are, they would benefit from strength training. Think it is awesome that you are swimming. IMHO, the best all around exercise and it comes with very low risk of injury.

Wishing the best to all the fasters today, especially the newbies. It really does get easier, especially when you begin to see the numbers drop on the scale. B)

nq5ktj7bwtar.png
  • ryenday
    Options
    I know a few of you had fast days today as well, mine went the best yet, I did not even notice any hunger and had no trouble (mentally or physically) keeping to 500 calories- so a big win for me. So I’m hoping one and all had a good day!

I was unusually busy - a very atypical schedule today and I’m sure that contributed to it being a successful day.

I’m going to make some soup this weekend so that my next two fast days I don’t have to rely on the sodium heavy progresso soups. Also, I don’t eat pasta, so I’m always picking that out of my progresso soups, if I make my own I can add some yummy carrots or something. (No special reason on the pasta except I don’t like it enough to use my calories on it).

Thanks for the strength workout suggestions- I’m working up a plan I hope to be able to implement soon - my disabilities are not common or visible - and often I can adapt - but I can not safely embark on strength training without help to start me off at a minimum if I want to avoid injury. (I have dyspraxia which affects my motor coordination and balance and I have a proprioceptive disorder. The combination pretty much guarantees I am incapable of good form and incapable of understanding/implementation descriptions of form for exercising.) But if you met me you would just think of me as kinda clutzy, not obviously someone with disabilities. One reason I love swimming is the difficulties I face are minimized in the water.

So, this has been a very eventful and a very good week for me on all fronts ( new job, fasting, weight loss, fit into my size 12 pants for the first time in at least a year) and I am going to sit back and enjoy this feeling while it lasts. I hope y’all are having a very good week as well!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hey all!

I changed my fasting day to today. We have no big Friday night plans, so it's fine for me to do today (and it's not like I'm a big drinker anyway). I am looking at posted options for foods that I can eat at home without eating soup! I have tons of frozen veggies, and I could eat, for example, a ton of steamed broccoli for very few calories.

@Meghan509 thanks for the recipe! I love pasta when it's mixed with chunks of meat and cheese (I'm not even joking that I think hamburger helper is awesome in theory), and that recipe sounds great! Please continue sharing recipes :)

@ryenday awesome on your NSV! I also need to do some canned soup alternatives. They're tasting increasingly gross, and I can tell that the sodium is affecting me. My hands get so swollen between that and running in warmer weather that I can't put on any rings the next morning.

@jknight001 thanks for the encouragement! I don't mind the fast days so much when I think about how I can eat very well on regular days and still be in an overall calorie deficit. I haven't seen a loss this week, but I haven't gained. I know the overall trend will be down so long as I stay the course and keep running (couch to 5K). I'm so close to the end of the program!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi all!

Oh good, I will keep sharing recipes! I love to! I really have to say we loved the light day dinner we made this week a lot. I think it has bumped up to second place of favorite light day dinner of all time for me! That is the vegan lentil soup for those interested. I put in the small can of tomato sauce and a medium sized diced fresh tomato and that sent it over the edge as far as flavor! YUM. So nice and filling and yummy. That is in the links if anybody is interested.

I am down 1.4 pounds this week. WOO HOO!

@jknight001 sorry about your news on the job front. Like they say though - when one door closes another one opens! Keep doing what you are doing and good things will come. Sending hugs! <3
    As far as the cheese in the pasta - I know what you mean but it might get a little dry, especially if you have to reheat. BUT! I have another idea. Do you like cream cheese? What about replacing some of that shredded cheddar with cream cheese? I thought about that and how it could possibly make it that much awesomer! That is totally not a word but we are talking about cheese and pasta goodness here LOL! Another idea - add some more liquid - more tomato, crushed tomato, etc. to get it a little more juicy. Then, you could do with less cheese in my opinion. My two cents!

@ryenday congrats on your good week! So glad to hear the fasting is going better for you! I feel the same way. Even as I am doing this now for seven months now. Still getting easier and finding my way. Size 12's you go girl! Enjoy that feeling!! I like to call that shopping in your own closet! LOL

@RBXChas I hope you have a good fast today! I know what you mean about hamburger helper - yummmm... I love comfort food and pasta and meat together - helloooo LOL Good for you for doing a C25K I have been wanting to get in to that but I just haven't figured out where to begin. Since I walk fast on the treadmill on an incline I just never have figured out what speed to do, blah. Just need to bite the bullet and give it a shot some time. :)

Well, I am going to sign off for a bit and grab some lunch. Not too much planned here for the weekend. Low key! Hope everybody has a good rest of the day and I'll check back again soon. :wink:

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @jknight001. Sorry about your disappointment. It's ok to be disappointed. Bummer or damn, depending on context. You're a trooper for not giving in, though :D

I recently heard a podcast with Ray Dalio on Tim Ferriss where he outlines the WHY we are all so split between the rational and irrational beings. He said we're two personalities or voices constantly battling. We all know what the "good" decisions consist of...eat less, move more, spend less, get off social media...bla-bla. That's the rational prefrontal cortex talking. But usually the amygdala, the irrational...or ahem...emotional self wins. Like 97% of the time. Dalio's explanation made so much sense to me! It takes REALLY hard work to override our emotional selves! He made me understand how frail and vulnerable we all are to patterns of comfort. Like eating our feelings. Two steps forward and one step back or sideways.

On that note, I planned my 2nd light day (love that expression, meghan) today. But it wasn't gonna happen and the weekend is full of eating and drinking. I notice that for me it's easier to complete when having a determined resolve EARLY in the week. As the week moves along, life and tasks tend to intervene.

@Marmitegeoff good luck on the recovery, man. Take it easy!

Happy fasting everyone, it's nice to see all the postings here lately :):)
  • ryenday
    Options
    Today’s weight is 3.5 lb lighter than October 4 - when I started 5:2 IF. This is huge! Except for a big whoosh when I started dieting in April my average monthly weight loss was 2.5 pounds - yep that was what I was losing in a month!

Note, I’m actually taking in about 600 more calories a week on 5:2, and due to life, I have done very little exercising in October.

October is my try it and see month, but I don’t think there is any doubt on my mind that this needs to be my way forward. I’ve settled into a schedule again, so my exercising will go back up close to pre-October levels so this is maybe going to get interesting... I need to lose about 20 pounds to be in a ‘normal’ BMI ( my step back and assess where I am weight loss goal!)

Honestly I’m actually kind of shocked.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! Love reading everyone’s posts!! Just no time to send back notes individually.. so way to go everyone on the success using 5:2 ! I’m not logging lately, not making the time... new furnace mad me clean the basement out and have less time checking computer & phone etc.... keep up the awesome work all of you! Very inspiring people here!!! :#