A poll question re: MFP/GoaD etiquette

Options
Calvin2008Brian
Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
MFP generously allows us to appraise one another's posts as Insightful, Inspiring, Like, Awesome, or Woo.

But, sadly, we can make only one of these magnificent choices per post.

It gives rise to so many questions. For instance:
  • How do you make the difficult decision as to which of these stupendous options to click?
  • Does Woo have a positive or negative connotation?
  • If you could add even more quick-click choices, what would you suggest?
  • If you had to do without one of the current choices, which one would you kick to the curb?
  • With regard to this particular post that you're reading right now ... is it more Awesome, or Woo?
  • Would you rather discuss emojis? ;):D>:)B)
94oywey4idka.png

Replies

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,701 Member
    Options
    (1) How do you make the difficult decision as to which of these stupendous options to click?

I don't use those options. I post and write from my heart.

(2) Does Woo have a positive or negative connotation?

Woo is positive but I don't know I would use it here.

(3) If you could add even more quick-click choices, what would you suggest?

WTG.

(4) If you had to do without one of the current choices, which one would you kick to the curb?

Woo

(5) With regard to this particular post that you're reading right now ... is it more Awesome, or Woo?

Awesome.

(6) Would you rather discuss emojis?

I am neutral on this.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,576 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    How do you make the difficult decision as to which of these stupendous options to click?...Often I stretch, do a mindfulness practice, drink some herbal tea and contemplate the impact of my decisions and then choose not to act

Does Woo have a positive or negative connotation?...Woo is a somewhat half hearted attempt at feigning excitement. I prefer Woo Woo which is kinda sarcastic and would be an excellent addition

If you could add even more quick-click choices, what would you suggest? Woo Woo as mentioned

If you had to do without one of the current choices, which one would you kick to the curb? Inspiring has to go. I don't care for the emoji next to it and it sounds pretentious

With regard to this particular post that you're reading right now ... is it more Awesome, or Woo? More of a Woo Woo, actually

Would you rather discuss emojis? ;):D>:)B)Yes lets!
  • lowbar31
    lowbar31 Posts: 6,567 Member
    Options
    I don't think I ever noticed them. Pretty sure I never used them.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    Yup old guy here who never noticed them.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options

How do you make the difficult decision as to which of these stupendous options to click?
    Whatever fits my gut reaction to the post.

Does Woo have a positive or negative connotation?
    I stay away from this one.. becuase it is often misconstrued either way. Supposedly the powers that be intended it to be both??

If you could add even more quick-click choices, what would you suggest?
    ... nah. Sometimes choices just muddle the intent.

If you had to do without one of the current choices, which one would you kick to the curb?
    Woo.

With regard to this particular post that you're reading right now ... is it more Awesome, or Woo?
    Awesome, of course!

Would you rather discuss emojis? ;):D>:)B)
    Who would have ever thought the sideways smile : ) would turn into this??
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    bwmalone wrote: »
    [ is it more Awesome, or Woo?[/b]
    Awesome, of course!

First we have to define what the definition of is, is.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Woo to me means that it is something not based in scientific reality (ScienceBabe comes to mind as someone who is constantly pointing out woo).

I really don't care for emojis as other than the basics, I usually can't figure out what they are on my small smartphone screen. So the intended use by the sender is lost on me.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I use 'Like' when I want to acknowledge a post (just did on the OP) and have used 'Awesome' a few rare times.
  • RedSassyPants
    RedSassyPants Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I thought Woo was short for WooHoo
    I have never actually used it

I have used the rest of them though
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    We've managed to refine the question regarding Woo: is it short for Woo Woo or for Woo Hoo?

@gadgetgirlIL: Sci Babe is a fave. Her use of "woo" is exactly what I was thinking of.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

How do you make the difficult decision as to which of these stupendous options to click?

I swill the response around a bit and try it on. I've used insightful a bit and inspiring too. One of the reasons I come here (and go to meetings) is to learn from others. Often, someone will bring up an angle I hadn't thought of or something that truly does inspire me. If so, I'll tick the appropriate boxes.

As per your post above @Calvin2008Brian , it depends. Usually the context of the response hints at my (occassional) use of Woo.

Drawing a blank on this question. I will think very hard about it overnight...

If you had to do without one of the current choices, which one would you kick to the curb?

(Now I'm thinking I might add a "kick to the curb" button for the question above.) But the one I'd send packin' now would be Awesome. It's a way-overused term! Don't get me wrong; I think there's a place for it but if you're going to tell someone something they did was awesome, do it for real!

With regard to this particular post that you're reading right now ... is it more Awesome, or Woo?

As I'm feeling now, it would tip toward Awesome (but I'm still not clicking the button).

Ah, no. This was tough enough!
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    minimyzeme wrote: »
    But the one I'd send packin' now would be Awesome. It's a way-overused term!

Unless you are Scott Conant on Chopped. When he says it, you know you've done good, speaking for the contestants, that is.
  • lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Really the most polite thing to do is just pop in after a year or so and not answer the question.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,086 Member
    Options
    LilyB............Hiya.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,006 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Usually click none.

I have no idea and never click on it.

Too many right now.

If you had to do without one of the current choices, which one would you kick to the curb?[/b]

Woo?

Awesome

No Pay very little attention to the emojis.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Unless you are Scott Conant on Chopped. When he says it, you know you've done good, speaking for the contestants, that is.

I'm going to have to start watching TV to appreciate the Scott's use of the word. As it is, there are too many commercials for me (drives me crazy) so I steer clear.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    LOL, that's why we watch 99% of TV on our DVR. Even the news.
  • johnlreeb
    johnlreeb Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I think you need a hobby.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    krbj19079emt.png
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    I've used the Like and Inspiring buttons a few times, but, I don't think anybody really notices them.