Low carb smoothie for breakfast

Options
lowjax75
lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
Hi everyone. I'm wondering if anyone makes a smoothie for breakfast and if so, what do you use for a base? I am starting to have one at the recommendation of my Dr. and he suggested berries with coconut milk. I have been doing that, but the berries are a bit higher in carb than I like. Any other alternatives that you use? I do use some protein superfood powder and chia seeds in it as well. Trying to avoid dairy or I would use HWC in it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I think coconut milk is low carb, or try the nut milks like almond or cashew...unsweet, of course.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    My recipe: 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 scoop paleo protein powder, 2 tbsp almond nut butter and some frozen strawberries or blueberries and a handful of spinach. The protein and nut butter make it super filling. I don't worry as much about carbs at the moment so I have been throwing in 1/2 banana. I had forgotten how lovely a banana tastes :) Just play around with the basics and find out what you like!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What's the basis of your doc's recommendation for a smoothie?
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I use 2 cups unsweetened cashew or coconut milk, two scoops Orgain protein powder (chocolate or peanut butter), I add in 1 table spoon organic chia seed and/or 1 table spoon organic psyllium husk and ice then blend. Adding in some low carb dark chocolate or cocoa nibs can boost the flavor but they taste pretty good without. I used to drink these in the morning but I tend to only do them after workouts when I don't want to eat a heavy meal in the evening. I find eating breakfast of any kind tends to make me hungry all day.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I can't have nut products or bananas, so I've had to be creative with smoothies.

Frozen zucchini, butternut squash, avocado all make for a good base, and the "nutrient bang for your carb buck" is worth it for me. Some people use frozen cucumbers as a base, but I haven't yet.

Pasteurized egg whites (the ones in cartons) are a good protein source and a good base too. They have pretty minimal taste, and they make a very frothy smoothie if you like that.

I sometimes use broth as some or part of the liquid too, for more savory flavor mixes.

Fresh herbs like Cilantro and mint can make for different flavor ideas. Peanut "flour" (it's a protein not much carb) is a good protein source too and lends itself to lots of flavor mixes too.
  • lowjax75
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    What's the basis of your doc's recommendation for a smoothie?

His recommendation was that I eat breakfast in the morning to help with my cortisol management. I mentioned that I didn't have a lot of time and suggested smoothies as an alternative.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this won't come up on my computer, but I did a variation of this one...

https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/recipe/chocolate-hemp-shake/

I added heavy cream for some substance (because I used almond milk which was really thin), used melted coconut oil in place of hemp oil, and made it up at night for 3-4 days at a time... Once well blended, it just needed a shake in the AM to drink. CO didn't re-harden...
  • lowjax75
    Options
    Thanks Carly!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I make my own kefir. Take a glassful.

I add a chopped green banana, some chia seeds and some SLAP according to taste.
    You could sub the banana with 1 or 2 prunes (max), which are both sweet and good for the *ahem!* digestive system... ;)

SLAP is equal portions, BY VOLUME of Sunflower seeds, Linseeds, Almonds and Pumpkin seeds, ground up together. [/b]

Delicious, nutritious and filling.