New Swimmer!

Options
Hi! My name is Michele and I’m a work from home mom with rheumatoid arthritis. New swimmer! I’m an okay swimmer and know how to flip turn, but I’m new to swimming laps for fitness. Planning to start next week, and I just visited my YMCA to check out the pool situation during the time I’m hoping to go. There were a lot of people!!

Replies

• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Welcome Michele you'll get loads of support and ideas from this group. Looking forward to seeing your posts :blush:
  • nineateseven
    nineateseven Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! Not sure why, but it looks like part of my post got cut off. Any advice for pool sharing etiquette and not looking silly as the new kid at a busy pool?
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    This is a very friendly group, welcome! Don't worry about looking silly. Let the lifeguard know you're new to this pool, and let her/him recommend a lane. I always ask another swimmer before sharing a lane, even though it is expected, it never hurts to be nice. Make a point to say hello to the lifeguards everythime you go, and the chances are they will get to know you and keep an eye out to make sure you're getting along well in your lane.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I swim a lot because I have degenerative osteoarthritis. Can't take joint impact.
    Lane sharing is common at many Y pools.
    Generally, don't do breast stroke or butterfly when lane sharing.
    2 per lane is a split. 3 to 5 is swimming oval. If you are shower than others in the lane, let them pass. If you are getting passed a lot, and they have speed designated lanes, move to a shower lane.
    Basically the golden rule. Swim as you wish others would do when lane sharing.
    I was kicked 5 times by a guy in the other side of the rope once. The guy was clueless.
  • nineateseven
    nineateseven Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I decided to try going early in the morning, and it’s not nearly as crowded!
  • goodjoshboy
    goodjoshboy Posts: 17 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    (Edit)
  • goodjoshboy
    goodjoshboy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Swimming is such a great exercise and especially for the problems you described. I have degenerative disc disease in my low back and it’s been the best way for me to do some exercise. I also like to hit the hot tub after. I go to my local YMCA and they have an app that tells me how many lanes will be open and at what time. I’ll go in the afternoons. Everybody is at lunch at noon and the pool never seems to be busy then. Best of luck!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I decided to try going early in the morning, and it’s not nearly as crowded!

Good choice. Great way to start the day too.
    My Y gets a little crowded in the morning during high school swim season. But i start before they arrive. Those kids are real fast.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to say "hi" to other swimmers. Talk to folks in the locker room or hot tub. If you get to know someone else who swims around the same time as you, even if you swim at different speeds, if you can share a lane successfully you are an asset to each other. I've seen people hold the other side of the lane on busy days. i.e. if they see their friend on deck and someone else asks to share, they tell the other person they are waiting on a lap buddy and point to the friend.
    Pay attention to what people are doing for their workout when you lane share. If you see someone doing a fly set or a breaststroke set & other lanes are open try those first, unless you are doing a similar set too. Yes, it is etiquette to lane share, but sharing goes both ways, everyone want to get their workout in injury free. I freely admit I can be kind of a *kitten* if someone just jumps in with me and I have to scrape my plan for a workout or they hijack the lane. I will share a lane with anyone who doesn't try to drown me. I have a few people I don't share a lane with because they tend to do wave crashing drills while I streamline kick on my back.
    The "regular" folks at my pool, mostly, know I have my workout on the dry erase board. I shared a lane with a guy last week and I switched my last 300 from 12 x 25 IMO, to 12 x 25 IMO kick so I wouldn't bowl him over on a 25 sprint of fly, as soon as I finished the kick set he moved to another lane. After my cooldown he apologized because he didn't see my board at first & he had moved so I could do my intended set. I would share a lane with that guy again.
    Another thing I try to do to be nice, if I get close to the end of my workout and I see you on deck I might say "Hey, I've got 5 more minutes if you want to warm up while I cool down you can have this lane." "Or I have 3 working minutes if you want to share". Sometimes they jump in or they might decide to fill their water bottle or do dry land stretching while I finish up.