Keto & PCOS

Options
Hey all, I'm new to the group and thankful I found it. I'm looking to connect with women who also have PCOS & follow this diet. I am newly diagnosed (about 4 weeks ago) and per the recommendation of the OB I'm working with, I have switched to Keto. I've spent the last couple of weeks really doing my research but I still feel there is much to learn!! I'm also very much open to other friends as well that wouldn't mind my reaching out with questions!!

I meal prep every weekend, yesterday was day one and I was pleasantly surprised how sustained I felt all day! I do hope that continues! I did a comparison from a couple of months ago compared to the "Keto approved" foods I'm eating now and I have found that I've cut about 100g of carbs out of my diet! Holy!!

Anyway, thanks for reading!! :star:

Replies

• heyitspunky
    heyitspunky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I’m in the same boat. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 8 years ago, but never really did anything. I recently decided that I need to start taking care of myself and found so many PCOS groups talking about how Keto is a great way to manage the symptoms.
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I’m in the same boat. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 8 years ago, but never really did anything. I recently decided that I need to start taking care of myself and found so many PCOS groups talking about how Keto is a great way to manage the symptoms.

Have you been following Keto at all, how long if so?!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've also got PCOS, it helped the IR at first, but my condition overall is "managed" as far as health concerns overall due to BCP, but the IR is wreaking havoc in my life, and low carb and my hypothyroidism still but heads. I did keto for about a year and a half, and now I'm theoretically low carb, working back towards keto levels, but it's a huge struggle getting my thyroid and insulin levels reasonable and feeling well, but I'm still fighting for it, because the time I've spent eating keto has been the best I've felt in recent decades!
  • Honeyb428
    Honeyb428 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You all are not alone. So happy that I stumbled across this community, because I was diagnosed with pcos over 12 yrs ago and yesterday I decided to try keto. I did every diet plan you can think of with no help but This week I will try and stick with Keto/LowCarb. Good luck to you all , cant wait to hear about your progress
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Honeyb428 wrote: »
    You all are not alone. So happy that I stumbled across this community, because I was diagnosed with pcos over 12 yrs ago and yesterday I decided to try keto. I did every diet plan you can think of with no help but This week I will try and stick with Keto/LowCarb. Good luck to you all , cant wait to hear about your progress

@Honeyb428 Thanks so much, good luck to you also!!
  • hillarymouse
    hillarymouse Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to hear that your OB-GYN suggested keto! Mine was really skeptical of me doing it but hadn't heard of it before (yay rural medical clinics). I started keto a few months after my PCOS diagnosis with help from my roommates at the time and I love it! I've gotten my period back, seen a sizable shrinkage in my stubborn gut, and feel a lot better. I hope it works out well for you too!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I wish you all success in helping manage PCOS using keto!! I personally have not been diagnosed with PCOS, but you may want to look into www.healthfulpursuit.com. She (Leanne Vogel) also just did a podcast (Episode #56 with Rainelle Krause) specifically on PCOS and keto that you may find beneficial.
  • JDRAY0628
    JDRAY0628 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed w/ PCOS 20 years ago...it's been rough. The mist weight I ever lost was going low carb. I want to start this keto diet, but I'm a horribly emotional binge eater and need ti gain some self control. About two years ago I started working out a lot mostly lifting and I was getting a lot of muscle and getting really toned then about 6 months ago I just kind of quit and I feel so awful. So have to start back somewhere. I think starting back with diet will be helpful because it'll give me energy back and get some weight off so that working out will be easier again.
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at about 18 (33now). I discovered keto before it was a fad (thank goodness!) but wasn't disciplined enough and didn't stick with it. The beginning of the year I cracked down more and have been fairly consistent since. Feel free to friend me :)
  • UnbelievableL
    UnbelievableL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was also diagnosed with PCOS during my challenges with infertility. I've recently started lazy keto as a way to keep track of my carbs. I'm not large to start with but could definitely shed a few lbs. In the past week i've lost 0.6 lbs. Hopefully, it will help with my fertility struggles also.