Low Fat Avocado?

Options
Bonny132
Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
I am not sure how I feel about this new Spanish avocado. 30% less fat and of course lower in calories too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41594264

Isla Bonita claims their Avocado Light has up to 30% less fat than ordinary fruits.
They also say it ripens faster, and oxidises - or goes that weird shade of brown - slower.
The avocados are grown under special soil and climate conditions to provide the same nutritional benefits with less fat, according to the company's website.
Avocados are a foodie hit for their rich and creamy texture caused by their high fat content - an average fruit has between 20-30g of fat.
Most of this is monosaturated fat, which has been linked to the reduction of cholesterol and lowered risk of cancer and heart disease.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    The "ripens faster" part would be a bonus to me. For sure.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I rely on avocado a lot to hit my fat goals, and especially since I find it so filling and yummy. Will that creamy lovely texture and that piece of green super food still be as tasty and filling, once you remove a large chunk of that good fat?
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who owns an avocado grove with several varieties of avocados. I just sent her the link to get her opinion on them.

Here is what she responded. "What a great gimick! Avos picked prior to ideal maturity. They have less fat content, more watery! I just had a small one that fell off the tree. It ripened quickly, was watery, but the flavor was there already. Plain and simple. If they were here, they would have to convince the Calif Avocado Commission and inspectors who do the maturity testing that lower fat content is what they are looking for, and sign off. Otherwise, you can get busted for selling prior. When this gets to the states it could change the industry."
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the end consumer will get a choice?
    One would be forgiven for thinking, "Well of course they would! It's the consumer who counts!" but sadly, it's not always so, in the face of a total absence of common sense on an industrial scale...

Here in the UK, it is totally, absolutely, completely, entirely impossible, to buy a stick of chewing gum, anywhere, that is NOT sugar-free.

Every single damn product of 'adult gum' is sugar free. Without exception.

You can still buy kids' gum (Hubba Bubba) which has no artificial flavouring, but there isn't a single piece of chewing gum on general sale, anywhere, that is just sweetened with sugar, or derivatives/varieties of.

There was an outcry, a protest at the lack of choice, the imposition of a product that not everyone liked, wanted or would even settle for. But all to no avail.

Everyone, it seems, 'wants' sugar-free gum.
    But nobody, it is certain, has a choice.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    No thanks to low fat avocados. I was wondering if they'd end up being "watery" and @Riche120 provided that answer, thank you. I love avocados that are creamy, sooooooo good. They are so filling too. :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    As Riche120 stated it's the unripe ones that don't get the chance to properly stock nutrients from the plant that they are trying to pass off here. Also we have become a society of monoculture when it comes to food. There are so many varieties of fruits and vegetables that never get grown commercially and sent to market. For instance, 7500 varieties of apples are grown around the world....how many different kinds of apples do you see in your local grocery store? That's why I choose my avocados separately and am willing to pay quite a bit more per fruit, instead of buying the cheaper bag from Walmart, etc that are rock hard and usually rot inside before ripening enough to eat. You'll notice the difference in the skin texture - the variety with the very heavy pebbly texture is much creamier and richer than the variety with thin smooth skin.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I am quite picky about avocados, and this year has been a terrible one for me, I've been buying wholly guacamole most of the year because I couldn't find decent avocados...I will only buy FL or CA avocados, not imported ones (they are always terrible - I'm guessing because they pick them early for transport)...and this year it has been almost impossible to find USA avocados until just recently when Costco started having awesome ones all of a sudden.

I did manage to get an avocado tree growing, it's about 2 feet tall now...I think I'm going to try to get another one sprouted.

I don't usually buy gum unless I can find Black Jack - love that stuff, and I looked up the ingredients, it's real sugar, no wonder it tastes amazing!!!
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    @tcunbeliever most avocado trees grown from seed won't set fruit until they are 5 - 7 years old. My mom had a huge, old tree that she had grown from seed and it eventually produced like crazy. Good luck with yours!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Do not appeal to me!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I am quite picky about avocados, and this year has been a terrible one for me, I've been buying wholly guacamole most of the year because I couldn't find decent avocados...I will only buy FL or CA avocados, not imported ones (they are always terrible - I'm guessing because they pick them early for transport)...and this year it has been almost impossible to find USA avocados until just recently when Costco started having awesome ones all of a sudden.

I did manage to get an avocado tree growing, it's about 2 feet tall now...I think I'm going to try to get another one sprouted.

I don't usually buy gum unless I can find Black Jack - love that stuff, and I looked up the ingredients, it's real sugar, no wonder it tastes amazing!!!

Avocados won't actually begin to ripen and mature UNTIL they are picked, or until they fall naturally from the tree. Only after picking do they begin to soften - which is why commercially, it makes sense to deliver them and sell them as quickly and as soon as possible after they've left the plant.
    That's why we get hard avocados. So that WE can ripen them at home.

But the timing is crucial, which is why it varies so much.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    They still need to be picked at the proper time or they will just rot from the inside before they even start to ripen properly. That's why when I used to buy the bags of 5 I might only get to eat the two or three that had already begun to ripen properly.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    canadjineh, I LOVE your knowledge! I learn so much from reading your explanations on health and our food supply!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

How?? I have tried starting one a half dozen times and it always fails.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

How?? I have tried starting one a half dozen times and it always fails.

I have 2 growing..... o:)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    First - if you pop out the seed and it already has a little tail, then don't bother, I have never gotten them to grow if they are already sprouted.

Second - just keep trying. I get about 1 in every 5 to grow.

stick 4 toothpicks in the sides and balance it over a glass
    point goes up, flat side down
    set it someplace with plenty of indirect light but no direct sunlight
    every day I run more cold water into the glass, and usually I do it over the seed itself because I'm lazy and I just stick the whole glass in the sink and run the water for a minute or two
    once it has about 4 leaves you can plant it in a pot