going in and out of keto.

astartig
astartig Posts: 549 Member
I've only been doing the keto diet for two weeks now. I have questions about carbs and going in and out of keto. is it pretty seemless or does it confuse your body in any kind of bad way?

Today is my birthday and I can't decide if I want to do a carby meal or not with some bread wine and cake. in the next week there will probably be another carby meal with family at a restaurant.

on one hand it sounds kind of good but on teh other hand I am not feeling OMG MUST HAVE about it either. ( at the risk of TMI, it's been a few days since my bowels have asserted themselves even with much prodding and i am not feeling too gungho on any kind of food)

What I really want to figure out is if it really creates that huge of a disturbance with getting keto back in gear or if it's really not a big deal (other than calories) If it creates a big disturbance i'll probably pass if not I'll probably do a few carbs tonight.. (having wine regardless. LOL)

Replies

• JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    For me after any carb up I eat for 1~2 days just proteins and veggies at under calories. Zero fats, eating at normal protein lvls for keto, and hitting atleast 30 net Carbs worth of veggies.

Since you'll have the Carbs fresh in your system I dont see how eating back at keto macros the next day will benefit. Fats + Carbs = fat storage. when doing this it forces the body into starvation mode using what it currently has it its system. Afterwards switch over macros.

Been testing this myself and it seems to be the quickest way to deplete the Carbs and with exercise.
  • astartig
    thanks, that's helpful I"ll try it.
  • astartig
    thanks, that's helpful I"ll try it.

my body seems to like being in ketosis. I basically just didn't eat much until i'd been up a few hours (not for ketosis reasons but it seems like if you drink caffeine on an empty tummy you have more chance of stimulating your intestines to move) and then ate what I normally eat and I am back in ketosis. not high numbers but it's in there.

of course, my carb levels yesterday weren't astoundingly high. they weren't really low but I think it medically still probably qualified as a low carb day.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    For me after any carb up I eat for 1~2 days just proteins and veggies at under calories. Zero fats, eating at normal protein lvls for keto, and hitting atleast 30 net Carbs worth of veggies.

Since you'll have the Carbs fresh in your system I dont see how eating back at keto macros the next day will benefit. Fats + Carbs = fat storage. when doing this it forces the body into starvation mode using what it currently has it its system. Afterwards switch over macros.

Been testing this myself and it seems to be the quickest way to deplete the Carbs and with exercise.

I wish I would've found this post this morning before stuffing two pieces of cheese in my mouth. I'm trying a version of carb cycling, by carbing up 1.5 days a week, and don't really know what I'm doing. I do feel great after carbing up but I want to get back into ketosis asap. What you're saying, if I'm understanding you correctly, is that I must first burn up those carbs with exercise and low calories, and then I can go back to LCHF. How will I know if I've burned up those carbs and that I'm ready to go LCHF again?