oh no! butter shortage in France

Options
camtosh
camtosh Posts: 898 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
I had some salty French butter at an office party last week, it was sooo delicious. Now it will be even more astronomically priced... :'(

BUTTER SHORTAGE IN FRANCE AS GLOBAL DEMAND GROWS

PARIS (AP) -- Blame the croissant.

French pastries, and butter, have become so popular abroad that the increased demand led to a mini shortage of the dairy product in French supermarkets.

According to the body in charge of listing the cost of foods, the price of butter rose 60 percent in August to 6.7 euros ($7.9) per kilogram, creating fears of a shortage of Christmas treats such as the traditional Yule Log.

Some French regions, including Brittany and Normandy, have reportedly been hit harder by the butter shortage, which is also linked to a lack of milk in Europe.

Dominique Charge, the head of the national cooperative of dairy products, told French radio RTL butter is "more and more in demand in emerging economies like China and the Middle East."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_FRANCE_BUTTER_SHORTAGE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Replies

• lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have 2 bricks of butter in my fridge. Sorry about that. ;)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    maybe people will buy heavy cream and make their own...that was always a fun experiment for the kids...splitting cream into butter and buttermilk
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    maybe people will buy heavy cream and make their own...that was always a fun experiment for the kids...splitting cream into butter and buttermilk

^^... I do this already... ^^
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Back in the day... US butter was same quality as the French counterpart. Several of my mothers savored recipes cant even be made with what we now buy locally. It doesn't have high enough fat content.

I did find a butter when in Mexico that was terrific... trying to find the name now. Customs and Border Protection officers took my butter stash on re entry into the US, based on agriculture regulations. Who knew butter could be a threat to nation security! (that's a joke)

Take a look in stores that cater to the Mexican population...I am thinking they may have the higher quality you seek. I don't have any locally (small town) but intend to look when up in the big city.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to derail this thread but I have an interesting little butter concept to share...where quality matters. My son was premature and in NICU for months. He has been under the care of an endocrinologist all his life, dealing with failure to thrive issue...growth hormones have been his main stay. He is now 15 and in high school.

The butter...As soon as he was able to eat solid food, the endocrinologist kept telling us to load him up on high quality/ high fat butter. Though it would help him put on the weight, the main purpose was brain development. We let him suck on sticks of the good stuff like other kids suck on pop cycles, until about age 6.

He has some physical disabilities, most significantly a hearing impairment, but intellectually, he is considered gifted. He started AP classes as a 9th grader, student of the year three years in a row and never has had less than A on any report card. He just took his first practice ACT test and scored 26 (10th grade)....26 is already at academic scholarship level but by 12 he should be hit a score for a full ride. He has received scholarships from both the state STEM program and the US Space Center to attend summer programs at the US Space and Rocket Center is Alabama related to their technology programs.

I love high quality butter because of the taste...but it is sooooo much more!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @camtosh you may have to make your own cultured butter, or you can buy it from some US suppliers. I know it's a slightly more expensive option here in Canada, but definitely cheaper than imported French butter.
    https://quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-cultured-butter-and-regular
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy products including butter among others are terrific sources of Vitamin K (potassium) which can be somewhat difficult to get enough of from non-dairy sources (unless you are fond of Natto which I understand is very much an acquired taste).
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Full fat dairy products including butter among others are terrific sources of Vitamin K (potassium) which can be somewhat difficult to get enough of from non-dairy sources (unless you are fond of Natto which I understand is very much an acquired taste).

I'm not sure why you show (potassium) after Vitamin K. The symbol for potassium on the periodic table is K but it's not the same thing as Vitamin K. Potassium is a mineral, it's not a vitamin. I am sharing this because like me others may not understand your intent for showing it this way or it may have written this way by mistake.