GoaD on the Run - Friday 10/20

Options
Calvin2008Brian
Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

Today's topic: What's shakin'?

Replies

• Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Is anyone running?

I took way too much time off after my hip diagnosis this spring. Started back this week by jumping into week 4 of C25K. I've really enjoyed the first two runs and look forward to run/walking around one of the Minneapolis lakes tomorrow. Loosely aiming at a Thanksgiving 5K and hoping the hip discomfort stays manageable. I also need to commit to cross training. Familiar theme, right? Anyhow, it feels great to be moving again!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have a knee that does not do well with any distance > 1/2 mile.. I have relegated myself to walking.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I did 2 run/walk sessions on the treadmill this week. I had to take last week off from running as well as fitness walking because my little toe got messed up from doing a 1/2 marathon on Saturday, 10/7, following by 8 miles hiking that afternoon and then another 13 miles of hiking on Sunday, 10/8. The toe got a nasty blister and was very sore to the point that it was throwing off my gait. It is all back to normal now.

Tomorrow will be run/walk outside with my friend. I have to be at work at 11am, but we can fit in a ~90 minute journey that starts/ends at the fitness center and takes us to the trails at the nearby forest preserve.
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    I have not run much at all in almost two years. I started a little in May, and have tried to slowly ramp up. I have about 60 miles for the total year so far. Ugh! Two weeks ago, I over did 4 miles in new shoes that were too tight on a cold morning. Such a nice cramp in the calf! I further aggravated that on stairs the next day. This week, I ran twice for about a mile, each run. Next week, I want to get back to two mile runs. My heart tells me that I want to run a half next Spring, and a full marathon sometime in my life. I'm 57. My body tells me that between my calf, Achilles, ITB, and other assorted body parts, that maybe I ought to just walk, and ride a stationary bike. My wife also tells me I'm too old to run. Bah! Humbug! I'm simply not ready to give it up yet. I can be a hard headed ol' German.

Sounds like several of us have had running challenges, but it also sounds like I'm not the only one who has not given up on getting it back again.

Good luck to those running this weekend!

Steve
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    @shenry111 - 50% German here with the remainder Polish. I had given up on running from mid 2006 through mid 2013 due to chronic injuries. Then I re-started in July 2013 with some intervals on the treadmill and worked my way up to a 5K at Thanksgiving, 2013.

I do think my days of trying to continuously run for more than a mile are behind me. Now I focus on run/walk intervals as that seems to keep most chronic injuries at bay as long as I also keep incorporating my stretching as well as strength training. I'm 56, btw.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    I found my wireless headphones. I know you guys probably weren't as worried about them as I was. Lol.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian - where is the option to pick LOL on your post? :)

ION - I get to use 2 words in the same sentence which rarely happens - I had a pleasant run with my friend this morning. We did 5.25 miles of run/walk starting from our fitness center and heading to the trails (crushed limestone) at the nearby forest preserve. Weather was perfect! Low 60s, no humidity, and a nice breeze. No body parts were complaining!

The trails we were running on showed evidence of the major flooding by the nearby river due to the 8" of rain we got in 24 hours last weekend. Everything is dried out now, but you could see where the grasses were flattened as well as a section that had a lot of debris that had washed onto the trail.

• Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    W4D3 C25K completed. Not half bad. I'll think I'll keep going.

Ended up on the treadmill. Long story. Short version: ornery puppy.