Calories in bacon

Options
me0231
me0231 Posts: 218 Member
What do you use for a typical regular slice of bacon? The packaging says 100 calories per slice uncooked. Mfp has databases from as low as 40 up to 90 per slice. How much do you take off for cooking?

Replies

• amyrising
    amyrising Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I always scan the barcode on the back of the package before I open it. You can always search for the brand name as well.
  • me0231
    Options
    Yeah I look at the info too, but it's for uncooked bacon. I don't eat the bacon grease, so I'm wondering how much is cooked off basically from the packaging info.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I usually buy Smithfield Bacon. It gives the calorie count on the packaging for fried servings. 2 regular = 100 calories fried. 1 thick cut=60 calories fried. Of course that can vary depending on how crisp one fries them. One of those things where you have to take a best guess and not major in the minors.
  • me0231
    Options
    Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. I'll just reduce the calories by 40% or so from the uncooked packaging info.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    When I was obsessive about tracking everything as accurately as possible, I used the raw weight and information. Then I would weigh out the fat after cooking and subtract that amount of grease from my day. Here is an example that I found, when looking through previous days.

5rfmvftb3re8.png

Just weighed the bacon before, and then weighed the fat drained off after. It was a big obsessive. That was just the kind of person that I was. I think it is complete overkill.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OR you can buy pre-cooked bacon and scan the barcode and go with that minus the headaches about how to properly log!