Tracking electrolytes

Options
rbkeeping
rbkeeping Posts: 11 Member
I've just been reading some posts in the Oct challenge. Noted that people are talking about "hitting their electrolyte goals", which I assume means potassium and sodium, which I think are the only trackable electrolytes, yes? Does this mean that people are recording every shake of the salt shaker? On the same subject, is there a generally accepted minimum for sodium while on keto?

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ is your gal. I can never articulate technical info very well. except you need more sodium than you think, and not as an additive to food, but be careful of excess potassium intake, because too much can be really, really bad news.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    This link from the "Stickies" in our Low Carb Daily Forum:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358179/low-sodium-and-keto-flu-electrolyte-imbalance-may-be-your-problem#latest

We all do things differently. Certainly I 100% agree that increased sodium is necessary for most, if not all, folks on a ketogenic or very low carb diet. What I see published most frequently is 3000-5000mg/day for sodium. Personally, I don't track every dash of salt on food items nor do I drink "electrolyte drinks" as many do. I choose to simply pay attention to how I'm feeling and usually say Oops and drink some salty boullion or pour a 1/2 tsp. of salt on my palm and lick it off. I carry boullion cubes in my purse, car, back pack, etc. My 1st sign of an electrolyte imbalance is clamminess or lethargy. I think the link lists several indicators of an imbalance. I've never gotten "keto flu". Just a little lethargy. I knew to address my sodium intake at 1st unusual feeling (for me).

Magnesium: It seems many supplement magnesium. I did initially. Magnesium Glycinate. 100mg was enough for me. Many take more. The general guideline is any magnesium EXCEPT magnesium oxide which reportedly is not absorbed well and often causes "the runs". I keep magnesium on hand for night leg cramps but I rarely get them now. I strive to eat magnesium rich foods. Google "foods high in magnesium".

Potassium? Google "too much potassium" and you'll see words like: death, fatal, lethal, etc. I choose to keep my sodium where it needs to be so potassium isn't "dumped" and I eat magnesium rich foods. Potassium is in more common foods than we realize. Coffee has potassium from what I've read here and there. Effective July of 2018 food manufacturers will be required to add potassium to "Nutrition Facts" on food packaging. The new labels are starting to appear on the shelf.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @kpk54, nice!

I believe any form of magnesium (with the possible exception of magnesium imodium, which causes and cures simultaneously) will work a, cough, cleansing effect if taken in sufficient quantity.

Same with a sudden increase in sodium. :s