Winter motivation?

Options
NadNight
NadNight Posts: 794 Member
It;s getting cold outside and I'm spending most of my time in a coat and big scarf (actually I think I'm spending most of it in a fluffy onesie..). However spending most of my time covered up and trying to keep warm from the cold and rain (I don't know what it is about Britain, we have a special kind of cold and gloom that seeps right into your bones) I'm facing two issues. The first is my own mentality of being covered up all the time so why should I bother working out so much because no one will notice if I don't? And the second is craving comforting foods (biscuits...) and chocolate.

Obviously it's fine to give in to those cravings every once in a while but I struggle with restraint around food. Over the summer I can hold back because I think about bikinis and beaches and I snack on wonderful seasonal fruit and light meals. However in Winter....that's not there. Once I've started I struggle to stop, but I know I will regret it when if I gain 10lbs over Christmas again.

How do you stay motivated and get out and exercise when your inner voice is telling you to treat yourself to an extra sausage or 4 and some crumble with custard every day for 5 months of the year?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, in the winter is when I do most of my hard work, it is when I build my summer body. And while I gain some weight and it is easier to cover up with warm clothes, it helps to keep your goals in mind. Wearing tight fitting sweaters, pants etc helps to keep things in check. Also walking around with minimal clothes around the house when possible haha. I always remember, if I don't workout and gain weight, I will gain more fat... I want muscle...so that keeps me extra motivated.

Since you are bulking too right, your main goal should be working out consistently, but also be able to treat yourself (within reason of course). Try not to worry too much about the gain.. focus on the process.
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm a visual person, so I like to save motivational pictures and quotes on a Pinterest board. I look at it when I want to eat but know I'm not really hungry.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My plan for the month is to map out what days the local running track is free (I can obviously PAY - but I'm cheap so I prefer the free track) and make sure I hit it for at least 30 minutes when it is available. Walking for now - eventually work in some running and stair work. Also decided to aim for doing at least two minutes of planks a day. I also try to hit the 10,000 step mark either walking in place on my breaks at work or on fore mentioned track. One last thing I try to remember is to get in 10 squats each time I visit the rest room on a breaks during the day - at least I get SOME sort of movement during the day.
  • KelseyRL
    KelseyRL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I used to walk to and from work everyday, but it's so crappy out now that I've switched to the bus. I have a gym in my workplace that I have free access to so I'm hoping to start using that. I'm always just so much more motivated to move my body when I can do it outside though. I think finding indoor physical hobbies will help. I'd like to take up rock climbing for example. I didn't do it over the summer because I'd rather be inside, but now's the perfect time to give it another try.

I'm also huge on the pinterest motivation. It helps me keep in mind what I'm working toward even if I'm all sad about the crappy weather.