Weekly Post - 23.10. - 29.10.2017

Options
2»

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Oh my @jknight001 Tab! The only soda my mom allowed in our house and it was supposed to be for just her. Man, that was nasty stuff. Diet Coke seemed like a miracle in comparison.

Light day here today, I’ll have my minestrone soup, and take some beef jerky and protein bar to work - I’ll be working to 8 pm so it will be soup lunch then evening snack today.

Funky schedule had me eating pretty light yesterday even though it was a Five-day for me. I had to force myself to eat the calories at the end of the day or I would have come in at 700 ish. I’m hoping once my schedule gets regular at work (another week with fluctuating schedule due to training) I’ll be able to plan things better.

The scale is still :). - 6+ pound loss in October and that is 5+ since I started 5:2. I’m being taunted by the Halloween candy sitting in my dinning room tho. And I’m usually not much of a sweet eater.

So I send good vibes to all us light-day folks today. May you be busy and easily satisfied!

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Haha, yes, I am old enough to remember Tab! (I'm 37, for the record.) My mom would drink it and go to Jazzercise. My brother still loves Tab, and yes, they do still sell it :D

Well, the hearing didn't go well - though I did the best job I could given the circumstances, and we had prepared our client for a negative outcome - but my adrenaline was going, so I wasn't hungry. I ate around 1PM only because once I leave to go get my kids at 2PM, I can't just stop and eat until we get home around 3:15/3:30.

Prior to eating, though, I ran a quick office errand with my husband (we practice together), and on the way back we picked up Chick-Fil-A for him and our staff. I didn't get anything but had to hold the bags, as he was driving... That was quite a test! It honestly didn't bother me, though, which was surprising. I had a sip of his fountain Coke Zero, or maybe it was Coke Zero sugar, but whatever it was, it was good :)

So it's a light day for me. I definitely feel better with two days in between the two light days instead of one, so I think I'll stick with the Mon/Thurs schedule for now. I plan to run again tonight. I'm kind of repeating Week 6 of Couch to 5K, but at this point they're all pretty much long runs, so I am skipping around a little in the workouts. I also just got a paid Spotify subscription, and my sister is sending me a crapload of awesome playlists, so I'm looking forward to listening to what she has to share. I'm getting tired of my workout music, so it is actually something to look forward to!

I hope you all have a great night, and I'll try to catch up tomorrow!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Well, my fast day didn't go as planned, but I am ok with that. It still turned out low.
    The principal walked in to observe the classroom teacher as I had a kindergartener on the floor next to me sobbing gently to himself. There was chocolate involved after that... :D
    I am super glad to see that so many people had good days today!
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,964 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

I am down .2 on the scale this week. I wish it were more, but all in all happy that my weight is going in the right direction. My jeans do feel looser, so have to look at the big picture. On Thursday AM when I hopped on to get a quick check I was up .8 so that means I am down 1 pound in 24 hours. Hopefully next week brings more. As some of you recall, my BF does this with me. I am happy to report that he had a HUGE loss this week of 3.8 pounds! Probably the biggest loss he has had in months! So I am very happy for him. Now he has lost over 60 pounds since we started at the end of March. The last few months have been slow for him, so I am very happy for him. :D

Thank you for the lovely quote @jknight001 I can use it this week, after a little sluggishness on the scale. Need to keep pressing on.

Congrats on the losses @ryenday so glad this is going well for you!

LOL on the Tab! Yup, I remember it too. I am 45 years old. My Mom drank it. My Mom has always been overweight. Sometimes she dieted but most times she didn't. LOL But, she always had Diet Soda on hand! :)

Chick-Fil-A yummy! We just got a new location in our town in CT. It opened last week and caused a heck of a traffic jam on our main road.

I had read a very interesting post on Reddit. Not sure if you guys go on that site at all? A woman had a very good post. In a nutshell: You are someone else's goal weight. I thought it was a good read. Very eye opening and "real".

What I will do is post what she said here so everybody can read it:

Anybody else a victim of the comparison trap? If not, consider yourself lucky. But I know there are lots of us out there by the number of posts that begin something like, "I get so discouraged seeing how much others have progressed when I haven't" or "I think I look okay and then I get stuck next to some skinny person on the subway."
    That last one is me. I can be having a great day, one of those rare ones when I actually feel attractive. Then some girl with longer legs and thighs that don't touch and a stomach that doesn't pooch when she sits, and I suddenly feel bad again. I suddenly see nothing about myself except my weight.
    I never realized how hard I was on myself until I started going to therapy a few months ago to deal with some stuff I've needed to deal with for years (commitment issues, codependency, etc.). I hadn't anticipated that my low self-esteem would be uncovered as the culprit behind so many of my unhealthy habits. It's such a cliche, but I'be learned that if I don't love myself now, I won't later just because I'm thinner.
    That doesn't mean you won't or shouldn't be proud of your progress. It just means that placing your self-worth in the hands of a scale is risky business. So many things can affect it -- medication, injury, illness, pregnancy, stress, the amount of water in your body -- that there is simply no stability in that. I don't want to wind up on that kind of roller coaster.
    When I joined this sub a few days ago, I got bummed pretty quickly to see that so many people had so much less to lose than me or were so much further along. But since then, I have also noticed that there are people starting here who are 100 lbs or more heavier than me and who would be thrilled just to get to my weight. I don't know if that's encouraging to anyone else or if maybe I have a weird way of looking at things, but seriously...don't wait to be thinner to feel good about yourself. There are so many people who would love to be starting their journey where you are, wherever that may be.

Have a good one all! Check in again soon. :)
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hi gang! Well I appreciated the advice from @jknight001 last week to get back to logging! It is they only way to lose weight successfully and being more on the maintenance side of this journey I have been failing at the miserably. It sounds easy enough to do, but it’s not. It’s the habit of it all.... so I just started that day and so far I’ve been logging everything from 1/4 tsp cinnamon to 2 cups of garden salad! So thanks to making me read that in print! Sometimes that’s all it takes! I do feel more back at it even though I did have to log 7 Halloween O’henry bars, 3 caramilk and 2 nestle crunch!!! But at least I logged them! I have also had 2 really good fasts in the last week and a half! Thanks to my soup in the freezer!!! I’ve also been trying to not skip my second walks either (one with the dog everyday but one for me too - about 3k with the dog and then I try for about 4-5.5k just by myself faster). I have not done my weights in about 4 weeks and I can hear my buddy @Flossyruby1 yelling at me! So today, being Friday (usual day for weights, I’ll start back lightly)

Thanks for the quote Meghan... I’m a big believer in the mind. You really do just have to stop and take a moment and think a bit... about whatever is affecting you! Comparing to others or yourself. So, if I don’t get off my butt and start my weights today or tomorrow, or next week or any time soon... I’ll be a mushy body by Dec for sure!!!! I don’t want a mushy body in Dec because I’m going to my husband Xmas dinner and I need to look as hot as possible for being 58!! :wink: so I better get at those weights!!

Someone mentioned making soups... I like to add chopped up kale now! Besides being a super food, adding it to my veggie bean soup make it seem almost meaty or heartier. Cook it down until it’s lost it’s beautiful green color! Also to make a broth creamier, purée a few beans into the broth and leave the rest whole... works like a charm so you don’t add any thickener.

I mentioned a few weeks ago I’ve been trying to drink different drinks lately ( ok I remember Tab (lol) but I wasn’t raised with soda - or pop as we Canadians call it - in our house so I didn’t buy it for my kids either, only ice tea! Anyhow, I’ve been heating unsweetened almond milk with several slices of ginger and adding cinnamon!! Oh my so yum!!! You have to keep a spoon in your mug to stir it up but it’s so delicious AND filling!! Excellent on a fast day! I’ve also been making a “fire tea” ... hot water with turmeric ( 1/8 tsp) and same amount of cinnamon... or just turmeric and a slice of lemon! I spent over an hour on Pinterest checking out recipes!!! I’ve also listened to a podcast all about how spices are so good for us to help kick start metabolisms and control blood sugar etc... also mint... adding fresh mint to hot or cold water is awesome!! See.... I don’t drink pop! Ha!

Well today is a fast day... yes Friday... the kids work and not here for dinner. My soup in the freezer will be my dinner and I’m making kale chips for after dinner treat!! Woohoo! I’ve got them spiced up with cayenne, cumin and garlic powder! I’ll let you know how they turn out!

Congrats to all of you for doing so well with 5:2!! Especially to Meghan’s bf!! Wow! This was long... sorry, need to write more often instead of being on Pinterest!!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi @mamainthekitchen Great post!

I spend way to much time on Pinterest too for the record. LOLOL
    Good for you for being accountable and logging all of your food. I do the same, during the week. Weekends, not as much. :) We tend to go out in the evenings and I find it hard to figure out the calorie counts for what we are eating so there is that. But 90% of the time I am pretty sure I am at or around my calories for the day, especially since we exercise and I end up eating some of those calories back on the weekends. I am okay with that.

I know you are going to be a hot mama at the Xmas dinner! I also have a Christmas goal. I will be seeing my family in Florida, so just trying to stay focused and lose as much as I can between now and then. Last year I had put some weight back on for the second year in a row, so I was not feeling my best. Will be nice to show up looking and feeling better.

Glad you liked the post I shared from Reddit.

Those drinks sound fabulous! I add kale to my soups a lot. I like how it stands up a little better than spinach. Spinach gets mushy. LOL

See you all soon.
  • ryenday
    Options
    Hey everyone! I’m really good - Just a drive by post, found this utube of Dr Mosley last year to keep me company while exercycling- not IF specific, but still really good so I wanted to share the link!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6d-LMzIlr5I ( link looks mobile site specific so you could google it up: How to stay healthy, Michael Mosley, All about women 2016)

• mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! I had a really successful fast day yesterday! I was starving by 8:40 pm but I didn’t cave!!!! I made some fancy almond drink and then around 9:30 I nibbles on my kale chips! I didn’t mind them, but they’re not my favorite... i flavored mine with cumin, cayenne & garlic powder. Also the real trick to making them is baking them the day after you prepare them. I rinse, shake of water & dry, chop, spray with my olive oil spray, season, and leave them single layer on a cookie sheet until the next day, bake at 400 for about 10mins. I was happy to have something to nibble, but it was still about 100 cals! I used the raw kale amount.

Well just got back from a gorgeous walk on the d y k e - blue sky and a little crisp air was nice so I did 5k which is good, now I’ll take my dog out, then I have taking to do!! Feeling pretty good about logging again & remembering all that mfp has to offer... some good features here I haven’t used in a while!

I’ll try looking at your link later ryenday! Sounds interesting.

Thanks Meghan! I needed a goal (I’m not usually goal oriented, but I do like treating myself to a new outfit, so that’s really the ultimate reason here ;-) Hope you’re all having a great weekend so far. I’ve just had a protein shake with almond milk...(I gotta go buy more of that stuff!) but I plan on keeping within my limits today and only one glass of wine for treats, staying home with movie.... I may try popcorn with cinnamon ...?? Anyone heard of that?? My son thinks I’m crazy!

• jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Well, I am down .8 pounds this week (.36kg). Not real exciting but what is exciting is that I am 160.4 (72.76kg) so I think if I keep to the plan this week, I should hit 159 (72.12) and getting out of the 160's is VERY exciting to me!

Loved your quote @Meghan509. I so agree what was said. I loved this "placing your self-worth in the hands of a scale is risky business". So true! I would also add that bodies are so unique. What is better to weigh 125 (56.7kg) yet never exercise and derive most of one's calories from nutritionally empty food (or even be anorexic) or to weight 175 (79.4kg) and have a robust cardio and strength training program and get most of one's calories from high quality food sources? In other words, the scale doesn't always tell the whole story when we are comparing ourselves.

@mamainthekitchen - so glad you are doing better. I dislike weighing and measuring with a passion but it is the only way to keep me honest. It is like a bank account. If I keep tabs on what I "spend", I don't have to worry about being overdrawn. Tonight I had pasta. Just 1 1/2 cups was close to 300 calories. If I had just gone by what I thought was the right amount to eat, I am sure it would have been closer to 400 calories. So while I don't like being policed that way, it is the only way I have found to keep to my calorie counts. And it is also why I have a cheat night - so I don't go CRAZY! :smile: And tonight I saved some calories for dessert so I could eat a treat guilt free. You could do the same - save some calories for your favorite candies so you can have them guilt free! Same for you @KateNkognito. :wink:

Our Los Angeles Dodgers won tonight so we are celebrating. Hope you all have a great evening!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi all!
    A quick one since I am on my phone. Wanted to say thanks for the link @ryenday I will check that out!
    Congrats on your loss @jknight001 I am in a similar situation where I am close to being out of the 170's. Glad you liked the quote too! Good luck to the Dodgers! Been an exciting series.
    @mamainthekitchen the kale chips sound awesome! Going to try those.
    Today we will watch some football. Supposed to be rainy. I picked up some frozen chicken drums to have for lunch after the gym today. Tonight I will make a chicken dish in the slow cooker.
    Have a great day. See you soon.
  • ryenday
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Dang, MFP are my post before it was ready!

Just saying, I’m at 161 lb and so excited to see the 150’s close in! It took me nearly 4 months ( pre 5:2) to get through the 170’s so I’m very happy! (6lb loss on 5:2 since October 4).

Tonight I cook dinner for Mother-in-law and brother-in-law. We will use an old favorite recipe. Time-consuming but easy. Greek lemon chicken and potatoes. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/242352/greek-lemon-chicken-and-potatoes/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=4&isMetric=false

I usually do not use all the oil the recipe calls for when I make it for my husband and myself, but since we have company I will probably make the recipe as intended. Fair warning recipe does contain quite a good number of calories per serving – but it is extremely delicious and filling. So I do make it on five-days every once a while as a bigger meal.

Like y’all, I very much dislike measuring everything. When I get to my goal weight, my first change is not going to be adding calories back into my days, and it is not going to be going to six days – one light day. When I’m going to do is stop measure and see how that goes!

OK I’m off to the world of food prep – need some fresh lemon juice so I have lemons to squeeze right now. I enjoy cooking especially when my husband is helping me which is today!
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    [quote="ryenday;c-40735583"
    Tonight I cook dinner for Mother-in-law and brother-in-law. We will use an old favorite recipe. Time-consuming but easy. Greek lemon chicken and potatoes. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/242352/greek-lemon-chicken-and-potatoes/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=4&isMetric=false
    [/quote]

:yum: !