Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Started Program Today...Not Feeliing Too Good

I started the program today. I don't think I did too well. I could not keep proper form on the squats...I could not keep the bar straight. And I'm not sure if I used proper form on the other exercises either. My workout only lasted about 30 mins and I really don't feel like I really worked out. Is this normal?

Also, below is a link to a picture of the bar I was using. Is that an Olympic bar? Thanks guys!

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Nicholas_Rose/media/photo-Copy_zpsa6b8f01b.jpg.html

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    That's why you start with an empty bar, keep working on your form. Find some videos on form, there are websites that give form advice. Yes, that is an Olympic bar. 30 minutes is about right when you begin.
  • I did start with an empty bar, and even then I couldn't keep the bar straight during the squats. I guess I'm just a little discouraged right now, but I'll keep going.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Squats, I find are actually harder to keep straight with no weight on the bar... Once you get some weight on there it should basically be sitting in place and you wont have to worry about keeping it straight. Focus more on keeping your back from humping and also make sure youre getting low enough.

The first day is the hardest in my opinion because you really dont know whats supposed to happen. For a long time I would have the videos loaded on my phone and watch each exercise before I did them. Took a few weeks to really feel comfortable doing them and I'm glad because it was before the weight got heavy.

Keep at it.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    I'm only a month in. It does feel silly with just the bar but here is where you want to work on form. Watch Mehdi's videos on YouTube and I like Buff Guys videos on form also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy28eq2PjcM

If you feel like your form is really bad then don't proceed to weights yet. Just keep working on the lifts until you feel your form is reasonable.

Yes, it does feel like you aren't doing much when you start but in a few weeks you will be drenched and shaking from those lousy 30 minutes :wink:

I'm squatting 105 tonight.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Yup, that's definitely an olympic bar. :) Don't be discouraged as you're just starting, even experienced lifters continue to refine their form for years. The lifts in the SL5x5 are all fairly technical with the Row probably being the easiest and Squat is probably the hardest. My favorite video for learning the Squat can be found on YouTube and is called, "So You Think You Can Squat". There is also a "So You Think You Can Bench" series.

Enjoy
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Keep focusing on form before adding weight. You need to train your muscles for that too. 1/2 hour at the start was about where I was also. I miss those days so enjoy them lol. Another resource is Mark Rippletoe's Starting strength. There is a book and if you know your way around the internet , a dvd. The dvd is cheesy but he goes through form in it. And of course there is a ton of vids on youtube. Biggest thing is, keep trying. Dont worry to much about weight, get comfortable first. The rest will come.
    Good luck!