Starting Keto

Options
verybusybee
verybusybee Posts: 131 Member
I am planning on starting Keto on November 1st but I have several questions that the books can't answer. so as not to overwhelm anyone I'll start with one.
What should I change my MFP log to look like. Do I just need to put 20gm of carbs or less or should I try doing the macro thing I see everyone one talk about.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm not real rigid on the idea of 20 carbs. I eat at 50 or fewer. I've been around "low carbing" for 4.5 years, maintaining for 3.5 of those years. I did eat < 20 carb/keto for 52 weeks during 2016 for reason other than weight management and during that period experienced the joy of lack of hunger and significantly diminished cravings. I transitioned this year to 50 carbs and do equally well in regards to cravings/hunger/controlling calories. I feel I have a whole lot more freedom of choice in my food selection at 50 carbs versus 20. I eat fish/beef/chicken/pork/vegetables/occasional fruit/eggs/dairy/nuts and seeds/oils-fats. I have a few additional things on my "occasional list" but wouldn't really recommend those for someone starting out. You'll find your balance.

Try 20 carbs and see how it works for you. If you find it difficult to fit in a reasonable portion of broccoli for dinner because you had a couple slices of tomato and a few lettuce leaves at lunch plus a few miscellaneous carbs from a couple ounces of cheese on your eggs...20 carbs might be too rigid. Just don't crash and eat cookies. You probably will at some point. Most of us do. We succeed long term because we don't lose sight of our primary goal/s of weight loss and/or health.

Here's my current favorite read from our stickies. It's pretty inclusive and basic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

BTW: I'm waving at you across state. Good luck! :)

• Remaincentered
    Remaincentered Posts: 14 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I would recommend 20 to 30 carbs to start. In the beginning I wouldn't worry about tracking all your macros. I think it is best to start focusing on lowering your carbs and increase your fat intake. I would recommend checking out the following people on YouTube goodybeats, ketoconnect,ketoincanada and Eric berg. Start of slow so you don't feel overwhelmed remember this is a lifestyle change. I would also recommend picking up low carb treats such as candies and chocolate so you don't feel deprived. There is no reason ro feel deprived on keto you can always make low carb of your favourite treats. I've been on keto for 2 months and lost 20lbs. Right now I eat 20 carbs a day and track my macros. I eat the following ratio 75% fat;5 % carbs and 20% protein.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Or try 20 NET carbs too. Lots of options. It can seem overwhelming at first but you'll find what works best for you.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Commit to two weeks and be prepared for the transistion from carb burning to fat burning as the Keto flu can be difficult plus yr body may be screaming at you to replace the carbs it is losing. Once you break thru the wall it becomes much easier as the hunger really diminishes and the cravings go away. Without cravings it is much easier to recognize true hunger.
    I started this July 3 and have lost 34 lbs. some weeks I lose 3 or 4, others 1 or none. Don’t be discouraged by the scale. I like to weigh myself but understand that the scale can be wacky. There are days I go up 4 lbs for no apparent reason but ignore this and watch the trend - which is definitely downward.
    I have always aimed for 20g carbs and most days this is manageable especially since I save my carbs for dinner. I also do IMF (intermittent fasting) so usually eat lunch around 11-2 then dinner around 7 ish ie no breakfast. There are days I even skip lunch. I do this because I am simply not hungry and am really trying to hear my hunger rather than eat out of habit. I also keep my protein and fat about the same with fat usually a little higher. My goal is for my body to use the fat I am carrying. Once a I hit maintenance will increase my fat.
    I highly recommend you do your own reading and research. Some of it can be repetitive but that really helps it sink in so you understand the process. This group is fantastic for support and info so use it as one if your tools.
    Good luck and stay in touch.