Who's Above Goal Weight?

Options
Rachel0778
Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
This move has definitely made my weight creep up more than I would like. Just out of curiosity, whose weight has crept up some after maintaining for awhile? For those of you in this situation do you have a plan for tackling the extra pounds? Or are you okay with them? Do certain life events make your weight go above goal weight?

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,918 Member
    Options
    LOL, me. 1979 hit goal @189#. Now new goal, from PCP of 220#. Still 30 to 35+ above. TOL got her Lifetime back over a year ago, also with PCP setting 20# above old goal.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Well, I set a goal weight below WW requirements but three pounds above where I really felt comfortable. When I first started lifetime, I kept dropping weight. I was probably a bit paranoid about returning to my old ways. In the last year or so though, I've bounced up and down within close range of my goal, but not exceeded it.

I don't ignore the fact that I'm a bit higher than I'd like but I don't obsess on it either. I'm mindful and usually make pretty good choices. Where I tend to stray a bit is with gatherings, celebrations, etc. For me, the mental exercise of staying mindful at those times and making choices consistent with my objectives is more important than the number on the scale as long as I'm withing a few (3?) pounds of my goal weight. I don't use that as a copout but more of a guideline for sustaining the lifestyle. Relative to the 80 pounds I lost, I feel like that bit of leeway takes the obsessionary edge off it and keeps it realistic and sustainable.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I hit goal in 2005 Maintained for a number of years till about 2 yrs. ago and then the weight started to creep and creep and creep so now I am maintaining again . I am working on getting my weight down at no time giving up. I will get there in time it is all up to me how I work the plan.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by "goal weight." I am below my official WW goal. I am above my personal goal (I call it my "target weight").

At this moment in my life, taking off 10# is low on my priority list!
  • lowbar31
    lowbar31 Posts: 6,467 Member
    Options
    My personal goal is 9# below my WW goal. I was floating along happily for several years but this summer I actually had one WI above WW goal +2. I learned the new program (whatever it is) and lost 10# in about 6 weeks. I think you need to set a limit and re-engage when you cross the line. Yeah, I know, easier said than done.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My personal goal is 5# below my WW goal. I was hanging around that for several years after I made LT in 2012. I crept up in 2015 but stayed just below goal and then got back to my personal goal in May 2016.

Since June 2016, I've crept up again and had a couple of LT WI early this summer where I was pushing that +2 ceiling. I've gotten back to where I'm hovering around my WW goal, but would like to be back to my personal goal.

Right now the amount of work stress I'm dealing with is sucking up the energy that I need to get focused enough to lose those 5#. As long as most of my work pants fit, I'm not feeling a sense of urgency to deal with those pesky pounds.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Have you READ my recent posts? LOL
  • susan092907
    susan092907 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I stayed within a range of 5 lbs above my personal goal, which is well below my WW Lifetime goal, for 5 years. But my weight has been creeping up for a while now, and I'm closing in on my WW Lifetime goal. It's to the point that I'm worried now about having to pay - after weighing in monthly for free for almost 7 years.

I'm definitely not ok with the extra pounds. I tend to gain while traveling and around holidays, but in the past was able to get right back on to my plan and get back to my personal goal.

My plan to get them off? The same that's worked before - track, stay within my calorie (or points in the past) limits, don't engage in emotional eating. Unfortunately, this hasn't been working very well recently. Or I should say that I haven't been working at it well recently.

I'm hoping that my new worry about having to pay WW is so scary to me that maybe it will be enough to get me back to where I want to be. Not that I follow WW plan - I haven't since the start of Smart Points. But for me, weighing in monthly for free and keeping a free etools account (I've currently got free etools until July 2023) is a marker, and one that I'm willing to work hard for.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have not set my Official WW GW yet.
    I told my PCP I was thinking 185, my HS football playing weight. Dr recommended 177# but said she could sign off on 185.

My WW Leader said maybe I could split the difference. To be continued...

SW 376
    CW 195
    GW ? 5’8” after shrinking 1 1/2” with age.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My goal weight is 184 lbs. I made Lifetime 11 yrs ago. I tracked for about 5 yrs before I could maintain on my own.

But then point creep set in. I was up to 184+ and went back to tracking. Ok for a couple of years.

But then point creep set in. I showed up at my meeting for WI unsure if I would be within 2lbs of my goal weight. 186 even.

Went back to tracking, but now a new program was in place laying waste to my old number crunching. This was tough. But again tracking worked. It's worked every time I've done it.

I was not going to be OK with being a paying Lifetimer. Seems like a contradiction. I wouldn't be ok with hiding from my WI until I was back at goal. That's not the process. So no, not ok at all.

I don't need any life event to overeat, I just need to quit paying attention. Moving makes me crazy btw. And you moved into a house you just bought, correct? A double whammy.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Well, yeah. I've been battling a fighting withdrawal from goal weight for 8+ years. I've had three consecutive weeks with losses now, which is something I probably haven't done for at least 5 years.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    My personal new "goal" is about 5 LB below official WW goal weight. So far so good in being below that of late.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    @Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    I have not set my Official WW GW yet.
    I told my PCP I was thinking 185, my HS football playing weight. Dr recommended 177# but said she could sign off on 185.

Word of warning about taking a doctor's note (unless WW has changed something). If you decide you want to go below that weight (even if it's a weight with the "range") you'll need another doctor's note saying that's okay.

That's why I just chose the weight that was at the top of the WW range for my height. They're a little more lenient about letting you go below that goal weight as long as you're still within the range.

CAVEAT: I'm not sure that all WW leaders go by that rule for doctors' notes.

• Al_Howard
    Options
    I haven't seen that up here. Perhaps regional down there?
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    I set my own target weight when I started in 2010 at 185 lbs which at the time would be a 215 lb loss. Now I lost the first hundred somewhere around the first year but then had been maintaining with a couple of jumps of 25-30 lbs a couple of times but mostly around 300 lbs till just recently and I've let the train come off the track. Definitely over goal but have some mental work to do currently.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It depends on leader and if it is a franchised WW I think. I agree that if you are much below Dr note WW would normally require a new note or not allow attendance for medical legal issues. WW doesn't actually require (read free lifetime coupon) being close to WW goal (speaking below goal here)if in healthy range although some receptionists&leaders might hound ya. Unlike last weigh in to make goal where WW stipulates less than 2 lb over or under if in healthy range WW only requires the less than 2 lb over at lifetime.
    I too chose top of range when I got close. one receptionist muttered at me once about being below but only once in 9 years.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,532 Member
    Options
    I am well above the WW goal and my personal goal which is a bit higher.
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I’m definitely above my goal weight. My plan is to treat myself like a newcomer and work the lifestyle.
  • Jimb376
    Jimb376 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    @beachwoman2006 Cindy, Thnx for info, I will definitely check the "fine print" BEFORE setting GW with WW.

When I mentioned planning on setting GW to my Mtg Ldr she immediately reached for some chart and asked my height (5'8"). I will discuss what is the range for a 5'8" 69 yo man?

My Dr seemed to take my age into consideration when we were discussing a good BMI goal weight for me.

I do not believe age is a factor with WW? Anyone know?

My WW five year anniversary will be 1/12/18, I turn 70 in Feb I hope to get to GW NEXT YEAR!
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    I don't think WW factors in age, but my PCP told me that he "lost" a few patients, who were around "ideal weight", when they had a bout of pneumonia. He likes the 20# 'hedge".