6 weeks of LCHF - health saving

Options
Thought I would just share my experience of having changed my lifestyle to LCHF. 55yo male that weighed 145kg (319lbs) at my heaviest and diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2015. When I was first diagnosed I did all the right things like exercise and cut out high sugar foods and got my BS back to a reasonable range but still a bit on the high side. Anyway I got complacent and started eating everything I used too and probably more and stopped exercising.
Recently I had to have a medical for work and declare that I was now diabetic and their testing showed my raised BS level, they now required more information from my own GP about my HbA1c - this scared the crap out of me as I now knew my eating choices could affect my livelihood. I work away from home in remote areas so they like you to be in good physical shape.
That was 6 weeks ago and I flew back to work as I do a 2 week on/2 week off roster.
From that day I have stopped eating all the things that I now realise made my BS so uncontrollable - all flour based foods, sugary baked goods etc. and I started eating LCHF. My fasting BS when I started 6 weeks ago was a crazily high 16.7mmol and on that first 2 weeks I got it down to below 7mmol where it has stayed now the whole time and usually hovers between 5.5 to 6.5.
I have found I haven't really missed the high carb foods - bread was my downfall - I could just keep eating fresh white bread all day. As an exercise I thought I would add up the 'average' day carb total before I started LCHF - it was a ridiculous 350 - 450g of carbs per day. No wonder my BS was through the roof. I now eat <100g of carbs per day and my only high carb indulgence might be a fresh piece of fruit. Some days when I work away from home the selection of foods to eat gets a bit repetitive but I just think of my BS and that keeps me heading in the right direction.
So 6 weeks in and when I fly home I will go and get my bloods taken so I can get my HbA1c result to give to the work doctor - I hate to think what it would've been when I started if my daily average was at that 16.7 mark, but the app that I use to log my BS readings is predicting it should now be around the 5.5.
Another benefit eating this way has been the weight loss, in the first 4 weeks I lost approximately 6kgs and in a few days I will be able to weigh myself again to see if I have lost any more - I'm pretty sure I have as I can feel my work clothes feel looser!!
Anyway just thought I'd share this if anyone else is in the same position I was, for me it totally worked to lower my BS.

Replies

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Awesome work!
  • xshandyx
    xshandyx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What great results.. good luck with your bloods. It's such a great feeling being able to better our own health without medications...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great job getting your diet and health in line. If everyone took charge like that, we'd need fewer doctors. ;)

Congratulations!