RNY Surgery on 10/26.

Options
2»

Replies

• Time4Nana
    Time4Nana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Woohoo had eggs this morning without any issues. So happy to be moving along. I think the hardest part is the 30/30 rule. I know it’s my imagination but I’m so thirsty in that time period. It starange how how our mind plays tricks with us. LOL
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Time4Nana, one of the things I did during the 30/30 was walk in place or some other light form of exercise or clean house to give me something to do during the before/after eating wait. It gets easier as you get further out and can eat more dense food, you'll feel full and not thirsty. In the beginning, it seems to be a mental thing to stop a reflex of having a drink with your meal. Glad to know you're doing well.
  • Time4Nana
    Options
    loveshoe wrote: »
    Time4Nana, one of the things I did during the 30/30 was walk in place or some other light form of exercise or clean house to give me something to do during the before/after eating wait. It gets easier as you get further out and can eat more dense food, you'll feel full and not thirsty. In the beginning, it seems to be a mental thing to stop a reflex of having a drink with your meal. Glad to know you're doing well.

Is the 30/30 a permanent part of our eating now or is it one of the stages we go through?

• Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My 'rule' they gave me is 15/45, and it's forever. After you eat, you don't want to drink too soon, or you'll 'wash' the food out of your stomach, since you no longer have the pyloric muscle at the base of your stomach to hold the food in.
    Start by setting a timer on your phone, after your last bite, hit the timer, eventually, I promise, you'll get used to not drinking when you eat, or for your 30 minutes after, and it'll be so normal.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I look at the whole drinking before and after meals as more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule. Does anybody really think we're going to be following all these rules decades down the road?

Here's what I do, I CHEW my food. Digestion starts in the mouth. My dietician advised me to focus more on not drinking AFTER than before. So if I have a few sips of water before eating no big deal. During/after eating I try not to drink much at all. But sometimes if I'm eating something spicy you kind of just have to. I'd say on average it's about 15-30 minutes until I start drinking again.

I have about 10-12 eating events throughout the day so it would be virtually impossible to follow this "rule" and still consume a decent amount of water. Being flexible with stuff like this has worked for me and allowed me to achieve health goals I never thought possible.
  • Time4Nana
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input I’m in my 2 - 4 week of post op where I’m beginning to eat soft foods and have a lot learn in this new way of living.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My surgeon said drink right up until you eat, but wait 30 minutes after. Works for me.
  • loveshoe
    Options
    Samquentin wrote: »
    My 'rule' they gave me is 15/45, and it's forever. After you eat, you don't want to drink too soon, or you'll 'wash' the food out of your stomach, since you no longer have the pyloric muscle at the base of your stomach to hold the food in.
    Start by setting a timer on your phone, after your last bite, hit the timer, eventually, I promise, you'll get used to not drinking when you eat, or for your 30 minutes after, and it'll be so normal.
    I was also told the drinking rule is forever. I'm 2.7 years post-op and still follow the guideline unless I'm having wine with dinner. If I'm eating out I'll have my wine when everyone else is having an appetizer, which usually gives me 15-30 minutes before the meal arrives. At home, I don't bring a drink to the table so there isn't a reflex to reach for it. During the early stages, I asked the wait staff not to give me a drink when eating out or if they did bring it I wouldn't push it across the table out of reach.

• Time4Nana
    Options
    This is going to be the hardest part of this plan for me because I’m always drinking water all throughout the day. Now I seem to be even more thirsty.
  • Time4Nana
    Options
    I ate something I shouldn’t have yesterday afternoon and had severe stomach cramps and nausea. The cramping went on through the evening. I had to take my blood pressure meds before bed which may have not been a good idea because as soon as I did they came back up. This morning my stomach still feels upset. I had hoped drinking my protein drink would coat it but no I still feel sick.
  • loveshoe
    Options
    Time4Nana, Anytime I did/do something that didn't agree with my stomach I gave my stomach a 10-12 hour break and only did clear liquids. Wait about three weeks to try the food that didn't agree with you and then make sure it's well chewed before swallowing. Brussel sprouts feel like a rock in my stomach if I don't chew them to death and nothing gets past that rock for several hours. I learned that the hard way.